MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bitermc Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:42 pm
Hi,

Ok, this is weird.

Let's say I hit record and play three short notes in the keyboard: C-C-C. What the sequencer records is one C note that lasts the sum of the three notes I've played :hmmm:

This happens with a midi keyboard attached to the MPC one. I've tried both midi and usb.

I refuse to believe the firmware is this buggy... Is this a setting I've probably tweaked accidentally?

Thank you for any help or clues
By Lampdog Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:05 pm
I use mpc pads and/or kybd keys to play kybd notes and it's always fine, I've never had that issue your having. I can try and help troubleshoot when I get back home if you need.
By bitermc Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 pm
Lampdog wrote:I've used 2 kybds usb midi -> powered hub -> MPC X and have never had this problem. It maybe a setting somewhere in your kybd.

What adds an extra level of weirdness is the fact that the notes sound exactly as I played them, while I play them. Is after being recorded when the legato is made.
By bitermc Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:12 pm
Lampdog wrote:I use mpc pads and/or kybd keys to play kybd notes and it's always fine, I've never had that issue your having. I can try and help troubleshoot when I get back home if you need.

Thank you. I'll try a different keyboard to see if the problem is there...
By Lampdog Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:15 pm
Maybe a hardware reset?!

Did you recently update mpc firmware?

Using an old project from previous firmware with new updated firmware?

Is the timing up to 1/16 or higher when recording? Timing needs to be high enough to capture your pad/key banging. If too low you will not capture every little pad/key bang.
By bitermc Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:10 am
It's definitely the keyboard. I've tried attaching two different keyboards -one MIDI, one USB- and the MPC records the notes exactly as I play them.

But when I plug my main keyboard, a Studiologic Numa, it records this (measure 1 is recorded with the pads, measures 3-4 are the exact same notes with the Numa). It does the same either attached to MIDI or to USB.

I've tried unplugging the sustain pedal, just in case, but no luck. I guess I'll have to use another keyboard for this machine... Kinda sucks because the Numa is my favourite and main keyboard :WTF:

Thank you so much, Lampdog, for the help and support.
By Hideous mutant Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 am
Does the keyboard have weighted keys?
A quote from discussion about Roland A88 with similar kind of problem. https://forum.cockos.com/archive/index. ... 09828.html
"Anyway, I think I got it figured out. Seems to be the issue EvilDragon mentioned. When a key is almost depressed (50% height) it allows me to play it again without sending note-off. First event is fully pressed and fully depressed, following ones are fully pressed, half-way depressed and pressed again."

Edit: If the Numa has any special keyboard settings, try turning those off.
By bitermc Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:06 am
I f****** found it!!! :mrgreen:

The Numa plays layered sounds internally, and externally it sends these two layers by sending the same notes on channels 1 and 2. When merging the channels, the MPC messes with the note on and note off messages, and somehow enlarges the notes.

The solution is either to disable one of the layers in the keyboard, or to make the MPC listen on one channel only. Both ways it records the notes exactly as played.

Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction
By NearTao Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:53 am
You may have a midi loop. I have seen similar issues caused by device A sending a note, and device B setup to send a note thru out.

Do you have both In/Outs hooked up? If you wanted to confirm a midi loop issue, you could try removing the MPC Midi Out going to the device, if you have it hooked up.
By bitermc Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:38 pm
NearTao wrote:You may have a midi loop. I have seen similar issues caused by device A sending a note, and device B setup to send a note thru out.

Do you have both In/Outs hooked up? If you wanted to confirm a midi loop issue, you could try removing the MPC Midi Out going to the device, if you have it hooked up.

I suspected that as well, but the problem persisted only with one MIDI able from the keyboard's OUT to the MPC's IN.

The solution is in my post above: The keyboard sends the same information in two channels at once, and this seems to confuse the MPC sequencer.