MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Spelunking Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:59 pm
Hello I have just registered on the forum after purchasing my first MPC and Akai product on Wednesday , it arrived yesterday and I’m stuck and confused on firstly updating the MPC Live ii and trying to sort out the software.

I have a new MacBook Pro M1 chip with big sur and I have a Brydge Stone Pro multi port hub with thunderbolt 3
The hub has 2 x thunderbolt 3 , 3 x USB-A 3.1,
1 x USB-C 3.1 and an SD card slot SDXC UHS-II and a 1 x gigabit Ethernet port

I have just watched an Ave Mcree YouTube video beginners guide and he said you can’t update using a hub

My Live ii came with version 2.7 installed and I believe it’s now version 2.9

I have tried to understand the process but find the Akai YouTube and website doesn’t show how to do what I need to do

I have registered the product on Akai website and again I’m confused on what these free codes are that I’m entitled to - again I can’t see how to input these codes on the MPC live ii

Can anyone help also I can’t get the software and my apple laptop to find each other when I do the try the controller mode

I do have an old laptop Lenovo
Intel core i3
64 but
Windows 10 version 1903 installed 19/10/2019 os build 18362.836

I’m getting really frustrated and it’s sucking the joy out of buying the product

Can anyone help and if I can’t update or connect do I need version 2.9 and these codes relate to fully enjoy the Live ii

Thank you for anyone that takes the time to response and have a great bank holiday if you’re in the UK
By EnochLight Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:49 pm
Spelunking wrote:My Live ii came with version 2.7 installed and I believe it’s now version 2.9

I have tried to understand the process but find the Akai YouTube and website doesn’t show how to do what I need to do

The latest stable release is actually 2.9.1, and the best way to update IMHO is to do it via a USB stick (not SD Card). Format a USB stick in ExFAT on your Mac, then download the "MPC 2.9.1 FIRMWARE UPDATER (USB)" file from your Akai account and place it on the USB stick's root directory. Soft eject it from your Mac, and then plug it into your MPC Live 2 while it's on (load an empty project first). In your MPC Live 2, go to the Menu => Settings (gear icon) => Info tab, and hold down your shift button - in the lower right of the screen you should see "update". Run the update from your USB flash drive. Bam - should restart eventually and update after a few minutes.

Alternatively, you can run your MPC Live 2 in Controller Mode and download the "MPC 2.9.1 FIRMWARE UPDATER (MAC)" utility app instead, but I think Akai still has Big Sur compatibility issues so the USB stick route is still your best option IMHO.

Pro tips: never, EVER, use your MPC Live 2's built-in factory storage to store samples and projects on. Either install an SSD into the internal cradle in the bottom, or use USB sticks or an SD Card to store all of your samples, projects, and Expansions on. That internal storage will fill up fast and cause issues. Also, never delete any content from your built-in factory storage. Finally, when using removable storage such as USB sticks and SD Cards, make absolutely sure you soft eject them from your MPC first before removing them, or you will corrupt the data/file structure on your storage media. Enjoy!

By Spelunking Sat May 01, 2021 3:32 pm
Hello thank you both for the advice , I’m just transferring the update and then I will try and update the MPC via USB
Fingers crossed all goes well and it updates
I have logged onto my Akai account and it has firmware and software
I have so far downloaded network midi driver (Mac) and 2.9.1 firmware
Under the software download tab is a long list of options
This is also causing me confusion is this all already on the live ii or do I need to download this software on my usb or sd card
I.e new MPC 2.9.1
The 809
The bank
All the way down to the last thing - sonic boom for mpc live ii
Final question I have some serial codes for ableton live lite 10 , Air virtual instruments , new MPC 2.9.1 (mpc live) and sonivox virtual instruments
How or where do I input these codes on my MPC or somewhere on my Akai account it doesn’t show what I’m meant to do with these codes
Sorry if these are dumb questions but I have downloaded the manual but although the manual seems to give lots of info on the product it doesn’t seem to help with the initial set up of the device
Thanks everyone
By kaydigi Sun May 02, 2021 4:16 am
Spelunking wrote:Hello thank you both for the advice , I’m just transferring the update and then I will try and update the MPC via USB
Fingers crossed all goes well and it updates

Under the software download tab is a long list of options
This is also causing me confusion is this all already on the live ii or do I need to download this software on my usb or sd card

The 809
The bank
sonic boom for mpc live ii

Those above are vst’s for the software only. 809, The Bank, the wub, the noise are only software plugin expansions.

Sonic Boom is an expansion that can used on the Live or software. I don’t know it’s already pre loaded on the Live.

Final question I have some serial codes for ableton live lite 10 , Air virtual instruments , new MPC 2.9.1 (mpc live) and sonivox virtual instruments
How or where do I input these codes on my MPC or somewhere on my Akai account it doesn’t show what I’m meant to do with these codes

When you you install those pieces of software, it will prompt you for the license code at some point .

You don’t have to install everything at once.

Posted some answers above. Don’t go crazy installing everything under the sun.

When you register your Live mk2 your Akai account gives you access to expansions currently sitting on your MK Live 2. That way you have the same expansion on your Mac to use in the software that mirrors tryout hardware Live.

You don’t need to install expansions on your Mac to open or play beats that was made standalone.

Buy the Bible also when you get the money.