MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ascloutier Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 pm
Hey, I just got my MPC Live 2 and I'm really enjoying it. I have a subscription to Melodics that I had been using a Maschine Mikro Mk3 with prior to getting my MPC. I'd like to continue practicing my finger drumming in Melodics but I'm struggling to get it to recognize the MPC. I watched a number of videos that talk about how to set it up but for all of them they show that the MPC Live 2 is listed in the "Connected Hardware" in Melodics so that you can map the pads. For me, the MPC Live is NOT shown in that list. It only shows my keyboard. Any thoughts on what might be keeping that from showing up? I've rebooted several times...

The MPC is recognized as an Audio Interface. In fact it takes over so I can't get audio out of my computer speakers at all. When the system output is set to speakers I get no sound from anything. When it is set to MPC then I get all sounds from the MPC. I can live with this, it's just also weird.

Drivers were installed from from the most recent MPC software bundle. 2.9.1
MPC firmware has been updated to 2.9.1

I appreciate any suggestions.
By Lampdog Mon May 03, 2021 10:50 pm
Your computer can only have 1 soundcard at a time, not weird at all. MPC can be used as a soundcard.

Also did you do the software install for MPC? It has network and midi drivers option in the install wizard I think
(It's been a while for me so I can't remember exactly).
By bliprock Tue May 04, 2021 2:24 am
Your computer can only have 1 soundcard at a time, not weird at all. MPC can be used as a soundcard.

Actually I just waned to chime in here and say that on Mac you can in fact make an aggregate sound device and use more than one at a time.
OP does not say what OS he is using, Mac or windows, so cant really say much more, but as a Mac user with new M1 chip I can't use USB drivers yet and have to rely on midi in to get any midi mapping and suggest to OP to try midi instead of USB midi
By Lampdog Tue May 04, 2021 3:14 am
Yeah, I use PC and didn’t know MAC could do that. My bad.

Just looked it up, pc’s can do it too :shock:

I’ll read more about it. I’ve never needed it, but, it’s interesting.
By ascloutier Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm
Also did you do the software install for MPC? It has network and midi drivers option in the install wizard I think
(It's been a while for me so I can't remember exactly).

I did but I'll start there. I don't remember seeing any options presented but maybe I missed something.
By Lampdog Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 pm
I saw diff options when installing the software in the installation wizard.
By MPC-Tutor Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 pm
Working fine for me on a Mac. Connect the MPC via USB, don't turn on MPC Software (firing up the MPC Software breaks the connection).

Melodics > Settings > Map Your Controller, follow instructions (i.e. hit all 16 pads). After that the MPC appears in the 'Selected Devices' list. Pad lights don't work, in fact the MPC appears dead apart from the screen saying 'looking for computer'.
By ascloutier Tue May 04, 2021 10:52 pm
After that the MPC appears in the 'Selected Devices' list.

This was definitely part of my problem. I assumed the MPC would appear in the device list BEFORE I could set the pads. Getting the pads mapped was definitely frustrating as well. The first pad would register then none of the others... After trying a BUNCH of times I got it mapped and it seems to continue to work even after disconnecting and reconnecting. So I guess I'm set.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!