MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MEGAPARSEC Thu May 06, 2021 11:40 am
Hey all,
I just got a new MPC X and have been trying to learn as much as possible.

One thing I've tried is hooking up an iPhone via 3.5mm cord to a 1/4in and feeding that in to Input 1. It worked once then never again.

Another thing I tried is RCA cables from a record player. Set to Phono of course. Sounded extremely noisy. It's a cheap record player but still expected better.

Main problem though is that though the sampler is now getting a signal, after the sample is completed, there is no waveform or sample to show for it.

Does anyone have any friendly ideas? :worthy:
By 40Beatz Thu May 06, 2021 1:08 pm
Make sure the Monitor is ON in the Sampler Page
By EnochLight Fri May 07, 2021 12:31 am
MEGAPARSEC wrote:Hey all,
I just got a new MPC X and have been trying to learn as much as possible.

One thing I've tried is hooking up an iPhone via 3.5mm cord to a 1/4in and feeding that in to Input 1. It worked once then never again.

Another thing I tried is RCA cables from a record player. Set to Phono of course. Sounded extremely noisy. It's a cheap record player but still expected better.

Main problem though is that though the sampler is now getting a signal, after the sample is completed, there is no waveform or sample to show for it.

Does anyone have any friendly ideas? :worthy:

When you say phono sounded “noisey”, was it distorted, or just a lot of hiss? Do you have the pre-amp on your record player on or off? What do you have your MPC-X set to on the rear? Line or phono?
By MEGAPARSEC Sat May 08, 2021 1:19 pm
Hi @40Beatz, I tried Monitor In and Monitor Off. It's set to Phono. It's such a mystery because I get audio in coming out of my monitors (routed through inputs 1,2 in the MPC X) but no waveform after recording. It's definitely recording at that point too. I've tried using the microphone from my computer as an input and it totally picks that up and shows me a waveform. It's like it's protesting records! Or its a vampire record with no image.

@EnochLight it's a cheap Thompson record player playing really old 78's so maybe I shouldn't expect too much.
By EnochLight Sun May 09, 2021 2:26 pm
MEGAPARSEC wrote:Hi @40Beatz, I tried Monitor In and Monitor Off. It's set to Phono. It's such a mystery because I get audio in coming out of my monitors (routed through inputs 1,2 in the MPC X) but no waveform after recording. It's definitely recording at that point too. I've tried using the microphone from my computer as an input and it totally picks that up and shows me a waveform. It's like it's protesting records! Or its a vampire record with no image.

@EnochLight it's a cheap Thompson record player playing really old 78's so maybe I shouldn't expect too much.

Post a video of your issue, including the steps you’re taking to get to the problem. Will be a lot easier for us to troubleshoot.