MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Spelunking Sat May 08, 2021 2:32 pm
Hello sorry I'm new and wasnt sure if you can hijack a similiar post as the one below my post
So I apologise if I shouldnt have created a similar topic
I have a audio technica turntable at lp 120xusb which has a built in pre-amp
So vinyl plays perfect through my monitors using turntables rca cable
But when I hook up the MPC live 2 and sample - it samples but its horrendous crackling and hissy
I don't mean from the vinyl but the signal itself is muffled and sounds like interference?
I have grounded the audio technica and grounded the MPC and I have switched the MPC live 2 to phono
Any ideas what could be the issue
Sound great using the adam powered monitors using rca cables that came with turntable
Is there a way to sample another way , I don't have a usb stick I have a memory card in the MPC
Obviously I can buy an usb stick if that helps
I want to sample my old vinyl from the 60s and 70s I'm that old
So I'm not good on how to solve issues like this and don't know where to start
If it helps I have on my table my turntable MPC and studio monitors but I turn the monitors off before I sample so can't see how interference could be playing a part
Do you think it's a fault in the MPC ?
If anyone could help I would be grateful thanks
By Ultros Sat May 08, 2021 4:42 pm
If the turntable has a preamp the switch on the turntable should be set to "line" not "phono" if you're not using a mixer.

From google:
"A PHONO signal is much weaker than a LINE signal. A PHONO signal is typically 0.005 Volt and a LINE signal is typically 0.3 Volt. Secondly, the lower tones (bass) of a PHONO signal is significantly reduced (RIAA equalized) while this is not the case for a LINE signal."
By Spelunking Sat May 08, 2021 7:02 pm
Hi Ultros and Hideous mutant
thank you that was it , I had the switch on the turntable set to phono because I thought a vinyl record was phonograph , I think whichever one I had it on as soon as I slided the switch, all the hiss and interference stopped
Thank you - I just need to learn how to actually sample on the MPC now
Have a good weekend