MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By beefpoweredcars Sun May 09, 2021 9:26 pm
I have an MPC One and I plan to use it as a master sequencer/clock for 12 synths and drum machines. I have a 7 port usb hub and it’s maxed out with various synths, and the midi out is controlling the transport, clock and program changes of 4 elektron boxes.

First Question:
2.8 MPC gives us access to 32 Usb instruments, but I’m maxed out with my Single usb hub. Usb midi doesn’t support thru, so how would you connect more then 7 instruments on MPC Ones single usb port?

Second Question:
I have limited studio time and can’t really run tests so I wanna know of I’m gunna hit a sloppy midi timing wall if I start going to town with midi events and automation, etc.

Third Question:
IF the answer to 2 is yes, would a MPC X with 2 USB 3.0 ports (compared to One’s single 2.0 port) alleviate that issue. I ask cause what I’ve read it doesn’t sound like the X’s os is optimized for all the additional MIDI ins and outs.

Tl/dr: would the X provide noticeable improvements over the One in regards to MIDI timing and sync when controlling 12 pieces of external gear?

Thank you for bearing with me!
By t3rb Mon May 10, 2021 9:02 am
I can't really answer any of your questions, however the MPC Live 2 also has 2 USB outs and is considerably more cost effective than an X
By bitermc Mon May 10, 2021 11:33 am
beefpoweredcars wrote:First Question:
2.8 MPC gives us access to 32 Usb instruments, but I’m maxed out with my Single usb hub. Usb midi doesn’t support thru, so how would you connect more then 7 instruments on MPC Ones single usb port?

You can theoretically plug a second hub to the one you already have, but I would prefer a larger -and powered- hub instead.

Or you can use a combination of the USB hub and the bundled MIDI OUT port by connecting as much as possible to a classic OUT > THRU > IN chain.

Also theoretically, the bandwidth required for MIDI data is very small, and a standard USB 2.0 port should be able to handle it x32. I haven't tested that myself, anyway...
By Lampdog Mon May 10, 2021 4:26 pm
bitermc wrote:You can theoretically plug a second hub to the one you already have, but I would prefer a larger -and powered- hub instead.

Yes, a second powered hub would work.

bitermc wrote:Also theoretically, the bandwidth required for MIDI data is very small, and a standard USB 2.0 port should be able to handle it x32. I haven't tested that myself, anyway...

Yes.