MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ELSADDIQ Mon May 10, 2021 1:11 pm
I currently have a Studio Black and I have a Live II on the way. Is it possible to connect both to a computer simultaneously and selecting one or the other to access the MPC software without conflict? Or is this a no go.

I guess I'm trying to determine if I can have one instance of the software and register both devices on the same computer.

Thanks.
By Lampdog Mon May 10, 2021 4:30 pm
Why use both when Live 2 can do the job of both pieces and more?
By ELSADDIQ Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm
While I appreciate the response, the issue is that I already have MPC Software installed for the Studio Black and everything that comes with that (projects, sound library, etc.).

Can I just now connect and register the Live without needing to delete and reinstall everything, can I install another instance of the software, or whatever?

What's the path of least resistance?
By Ultros Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 pm
ELSADDIQ wrote:While I appreciate the response, the issue is that I already have MPC Software installed for the Studio Black and everything that comes with that (projects, sound library, etc.).

Can I just now connect and register the Live without needing to delete and reinstall everything, can I install another instance of the software, or whatever?

I'd bet dollars to donuts you can run both. Since the units are used as controllers. The akai mpc PC software has the ability to differentiate between controllers by device name so in theory it shouldn't be a problem. (untested)
By kaydigi Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 pm
ELSADDIQ wrote:While I appreciate the response, the issue is that I already have MPC Software installed for the Studio Black and everything that comes with that (projects, sound library, etc.).

You would have to install the Live 2 drivers from the software installer, and any expansions that come with your Live that you want to use with the software. Other than that the Live will work.

You can only use one at a time though, A workaround would be to use one as the controller use the other one connected via midi.

You didn’t ask, but Maschine handles that better. You can have multiple controllers hooked up and make one the focus and the others become mirrors, You can choose which one is the master at a click of the button.
By ELSADDIQ Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 pm
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help and insight. I doubt that I'll try to run both together. I just wanted to be able to easily get the Live II up and running without reinventing the wheel. Then again, experimentation is in our nature right? We'll see...

(My new toy has arrived!!)