MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By moogah Mon May 10, 2021 6:29 pm
I'm trying to load some 24 bit samples and when I do the load screen flashes up normally (I'm using a SSD so it's too fast for me to see what's on the screen). I don't see an error, but when I switch to the assign samples view there is nothing in the pool. I also can't audition any of the 24 bit files on my drive.

tried 44.1 and 48k, same result for both so I'm thinking the bit depth is the problem?
By Monotremata Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm
24 should work just fine. Most of my 100GB of samples are all 24/44.1k. When they're added to the project, the MPC resamples them to 32 bit floating point as it is. Do you have all the auto audition stuff turned on? Do the samples play fine on a computer? Maybe they've gotten corrupted on the drive?
By moogah Mon May 10, 2021 7:12 pm
I just tried deleting them from the drive and loading them on again, same problem, and plenty of other samples on that drive load just fine.

I also just tried loading those samples from a USB stick, and the won't load that way either. The files all play fine on my macbook.

These are from a sample pack I got from Bandcamp, downloaded as a zip file of .wavs. I think I've read that unzipping on the mac can sometimes result in problems?
By moogah Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 pm
hmmmm. I just found another set of 24 bit zipped wav files and those unzip and load without an issue.. Wish the MPC would show me an error here so I had a clue about what to troubleshoot.
By Lampdog Mon May 10, 2021 8:43 pm
Take all files and load into a batch file converter. Choose a save as same option if available. This'll retain bit, sample rate, format. Resave all of them. Now they most likely will be able to load back into the MPC.
This has damn near always worked for me when I've encountered several wavs files that just wouldn't load.
By Monotremata Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 pm
moogah wrote:These are from a sample pack I got from Bandcamp, downloaded as a zip file of .wavs. I think I've read that unzipping on the mac can sometimes result in problems?

Unzipping on a Mac does the same routine it does on Windows. There was an issue (probably long before you were ever a Mac user) in the past where Mac files had hidden attribute files that were packed in their headers and copying a file directly to a PC would drop those files and you would end up with a useless file on the PC. They HAD to be zipped before transferring if you wanted cross platform files like text/Photoshop/WAV/AIFF/etc to work. That is long gone now, resource forks are a thing of the past and it only went from Mac to PC when you copied a file. Never happened the other way, the PC doesn't have any weird resource files or metadata it uses the Mac cant handle.

Try the batch converter idea Lampdog had. Those files might have a normal extension like .wav but who knows, the creator might have used some weird thing like wavpack to compress them. There was no mention of anything you had to do at the Bandcamp page?
By Lampdog Tue May 11, 2021 12:57 am
Yep, resaving can strip away all that ugly meta-data. If just one or two wavs, resave using any wave editor.
By EnochLight Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 pm
Lampdog wrote:Take all files and load into a batch file converter. Choose a save as same option if available. This'll retain bit, sample rate, format. Resave all of them. Now they most likely will be able to load back into the MPC.
This has damn near always worked for me when I've encountered several wavs files that just wouldn't load.

Lampdog wrote:Yep, resaving can strip away all that ugly meta-data. If just one or two wavs, resave using any wave editor.