MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Roky_Acid Fri May 14, 2021 9:30 am
Hey MPC-Community,
just bought my first MPC, it's the One in gold and I really like it very much. Also used a SD-Card from the beginning for the additional extensions.

When I checked the empty space on my internal drive I see that there is just 1.6 GB space free and that 3.8 GB is occupied. Now I wonder if that is the normal case or if there is something on the internal drive I could erase, since I bought the MPC from a dealer as B-Stock.

Any ideas?

By Roky_Acid Fri May 14, 2021 2:31 pm
Lampdog wrote:https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211011&p=1829519&hilit=az01#p1829519

Yes, thanks. I read this before and since it was B-Stock I wonder if someone else saved data or if it is normal that so much space is already occupied.

Somehow my Pictures didn't work, I try to copy there URLs here again:

https://flic.kr/p/2kYqBiG

https://flic.kr/p/2kYqBim
By EnochLight Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm
Roky_Acid wrote:Hey MPC-Community,
just bought my first MPC, it's the One in gold and I really like it very much. Also used a SD-Card from the beginning for the additional extensions.

When I checked the empty space on my internal drive I see that there is just 1.6 GB space free and that 3.8 GB is occupied. Now I wonder if that is the normal case or if there is something on the internal drive I could erase, since I bought the MPC from a dealer as B-Stock.

Any ideas?

The MPC One only comes with 2 GB of user available space, so that 1.6 GB free is accurate. Computers use binary approximations of the decimal values, and so when your computer stores a 1KB document it occupies 1024 bytes of space on the drive.

1MB = 10242 = 1,048,576 bytes (compared with 1,000,000 bytes of “advertised” space on the hard drive label).

1GB = 10243 = 1,073,741,824 bytes (compared with 1,000,000,000).

1TB = 10244 = 1,099,511,628,000 bytes (compared with 1,000,000,000,000)

It can be seen therefore that when taking up 1MB of storage space, your computer will use in excess of the SI defined value of 1MB. In other words the computer sees the drive as being smaller than the label on the hard drive claims it to be. Manufacturers all use this method to advertise the available space.

And as Lampdog said, don't touch that drive - leave it alone. Never save any data to it, and never delete anything from it. Just use it as a "read only" drive for the Factory Content already stored on it. Make sure you always use that SD Card for your storage needs (or any USB stick/drive). Final pro tip: if you ever remove the SD Card or attached USB storage, always ALWAYS soft-eject it first or you will corrupt the storage medium eventually. This goes for both removing it from your MPC (unless it's powered down) and any computer that it is attached to.

By Roky_Acid Fri May 14, 2021 5:12 pm
Ok, thank you guys for bringing some light into this issue. :-D

I'll leave the drive as ist is and use my SD-Card for everything. Have a nice weekend!