MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MrFrigo Sat May 15, 2021 5:27 pm
Hello,
I try to use the argeggiator of the MPC Live 2 by triggering it with an external synth.
For sure I don't understand well how it works because everytime I start the MPC, I must take a track, start the arpeggiator and define all the settings again (latch notes, 1/4, 1/8,...)
Is there a way to save that with the project or maybe to put midi messages in the list edit to avoid putting all the parameters again and again
I don't want to loose a precious time in these settings every time I need to use the arpeggiator in live situations.
Thank you for your feedback/ideas
JM
By Ultros Sat May 15, 2021 9:07 pm
From the seems of it, i'd hazard to guess that arp serttings arent saved. The arpeggiator stuff seems to be an *over-all* feature of the program not project.

When its enabled it stays enabled globally across all your tracks until you disable it. Regardless of what track you select if the arp is on it will input the currently selected arp settings. Your question isnt ridiculous by any means, it just seems that its not been implemented on a per-track basis.

I assume due to lack of memory. Stuctured data can get pretty hoggy if the programmers dont take special care with memory allocation. malloc() and free() are our friends but not always used.
By MrFrigo Sun May 16, 2021 8:18 am
Thanks for your reply !
I think i'll have to rely on an external argeggiator then.
Our keyboard player has a Beatstep Pro. I'll try to insert it between synth and MPC with MPC as master clock. Won't be easy stuff to do :roll:
By ace_of_dub Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 am
The beatstep pro doesn't have an arpeggiator though so it would be useless for that. Just get a Launchkey Mini MK3, which does have an arpeggiator.
By Ultros Sun May 16, 2021 1:56 pm
The problem with a cheap controller is it doesnt do midi clock in though. (As far as i know). My mpk mini play has arp settings but it does it to wtf ever timing it wants to. My microkorg however hits on time. That could be a *me thing* though lol... perhaps I'm not syncing it correctly I've not persued it really.
By MrFrigo Sun May 16, 2021 2:34 pm
Launchkey Mini MK3 won't help me either. Only midi out so it can't reveive the midi clock from the mpc :(
By ace_of_dub Sun May 16, 2021 6:31 pm
Then you already have multiple arpeggiators, you need a beatstep pro for what exactly???

And remember that the MPC series fully support MIDI via USB without a computer, so no need for MIDI IN, at most a USB HUB.
By MrFrigo Mon May 17, 2021 5:55 pm
I want to play arpeggiated notes on the MPC from a Moog Subsequent 25 that does not have any arpeggiator AND I would have liked to store the type of arpeggiator used in each sequence of the MPC.
This way I would not have to change the settings of the arpeggiator of the MPC between each song in a live concert.
As it seems MPC can't do that, I was looking for something intermediate between the Moog and the MPC to do the job but always with MPC as Master Clock
By ace_of_dub Mon May 17, 2021 6:55 pm
Get a synth with an arpeggiator then,or just play recorded sequences, it makes no sense to rely on the MPC for that anyway at first place. Each device should have its own arpeggiator and you save the settings with the patch.
By Ultros Mon May 17, 2021 8:46 pm
LOL tho... that stings... just go ahead and replace your $2000 bad ass analog synth with some pos.. I'd just suffer with it for now. It doesn't make financial sense to buy yet another synth to have that functionality regardless of how enfuriating it is. Some of the people here have money to burn but just because they do doesnt mean they *should*. It doesnt matter if you are broke or loaded to the tits. The value of a dollar is still the same and people work hard for their money. Maybe one day it will be a thing in a future update and that desire to have it immediately could be a large waste of studio funds.
By ace_of_dub Mon May 17, 2021 9:37 pm
Ultros wrote:LOL tho... that stings... just go ahead and replace your $2000 bad ass analog synth with some pos.. I'd just suffer with it for now. It doesn't make financial sense to buy yet another synth to have that functionality regardless of how enfuriating it is. Some of the people here have money to burn but just because they do doesnt mean they *should*. It doesnt matter if you are broke or loaded to the tits. The value of a dollar is still the same and people work hard for their money. Maybe one day it will be a thing in a future update and that desire to have it immediately could be a large waste of studio funds.

What certainly makes no sense at first place is a "$2000 bad ass analog synth" that doesn't even have an arpeggiator to begin with... but that's just me. Even my $120 Crave has an arpeggiator (and a sequencer). I don't think it's the role of the MPC to make up for Moog being stingy... I personally wouldn't buy anything at that price that didn't do exactly what I want either...
By SuperKonquer Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 pm
If its really important to you it can be sorta done but with prep. With the software you can save midi in the arp pattern folder and it will show up in the arps' pattern mode. So when you have the arp settings you want, you would record to track then save it as midi. you can do it in standalone too but you need to do the hacked firmware to save it in a accessible folder. You'll have to load the pattern manually so it wont auto load with your project but its just a matter of opening the arp mode and browsing to pattern.
By Ultros Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:What certainly makes no sense at first place is a "$2000 bad ass analog synth" that doesn't even have an arpeggiator to begin with... but that's just me. Even my $120 Crave has an arpeggiator (and a sequencer). I don't think it's the role of the MPC to make up for Moog being stingy... I personally wouldn't buy anything at that price that didn't do exactly what I want either...

I cant argue with that logic dude. Moog really drives the price up on their stuff.
By Lampdog Tue May 18, 2021 12:07 am
Subsequent-25 is $849.

My Subsequent-37 was $1600 and has an arp and sequencer.

Either way, I knew exactly what I was buying when I bought it. Peeps need to research more instead of buying and later wishing. I completely understand it, but, that logic doesn’t always play out the way people want.
By Smackdee Tue May 18, 2021 3:41 am
Or get a midi controller with arpeggios, the Novation Launch Key has this and plenty more..