MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By BigSmilez Sat May 29, 2021 4:16 pm
I created a song from various sequences. Each seq had some track mute automation etc.
When I convert this song to a sequence, there is some weird behaviour wherein some of my tracks mute at the wrong location.
Any suggestions how to fix this behaviour? :hmmm:
By pase Sun May 30, 2021 4:11 am
Whenever you convert a song to a sequence it uses whatever settings and programs that were used on the first sequence of the song mode. The tracks and programs have to match across all the sequences
By BigSmilez Sun May 30, 2021 8:32 am
pase wrote:Whenever you convert a song to a sequence it uses whatever settings and programs that were used on the first sequence of the song mode. The tracks and programs have to match across all the sequences

In this particular case, my intro is also muting tracks incorrectly.
By BigSmilez Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:47 am
Quick update for everyone's benefit:
Apart from that one particular project, the Song Mode works as expected in other projects. I don't know why it is flipping out with the mute status in that one project. But all is good & I have laid out my song just as I wanted to. Took a bit of time and some forum searching but all is well in MPC land!
By BigSmilez Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:04 am
Another one!
Happened on another one of my tracks. The track mute automation is incorrectly laid out when using the Song Mode, Convert to Seq option.
Thinking of foregoing this 'Track Mute' way of assembling my sequences.
I had started enjoying this way of working but it's way too buggy at the moment.
By Hideous mutant Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 pm
BigSmilez wrote:Another one!
Happened on another one of my tracks. The track mute automation is incorrectly laid out when using the Song Mode, Convert to Seq option.
I had started enjoying this way of working but it's way too buggy at the moment.

Do you have sequences that are originally, say, 16 bars long but you've set the length to 8 or 4, so the sequence contains information beyond the set length? Somehow the song mode doesn't read that information correctly and it causes issues like that. Another thing could be that you have several mutes recorded to the same point.
Another thing that messes the mute automation is different length of tracks in relation to sequence length.

You can check the mutes from the velocity/automation lane or list edit to see where those mutes go crazy and troubleshoot further from there.
By DokBrown Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:03 pm
SONG Convert to SEQUENCE has not been my cup of tea. I like to have small tempo changes between some sequences to create more movement. Also audio tracks don’t function quite the way I thought they would. There are 32 song slots, so I don’t see the need to convert to sequence. I just wish AKAI could explode tracks from song mode.
By BigSmilez Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:20 am
I laid down a couple of songs the standard DAW way, by manually deleting the MIDI notes in sequences which needed the mute. Needless to say, I was seriously missing the track mute/pad mute feature that day.
I guess I'll use the mute automations on next set of beats, it is going to be a love/hate relationship with this feature till the day Akai decides to fix the bug.
By BigSmilez Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:20 am
Hideous mutant wrote:
BigSmilez wrote:Another one!

Do you have sequences that are originally, say, 16 bars long but you've set the length to 8 or 4, so the sequence contains information beyond the set length? Somehow the song mode doesn't read that information correctly and it causes issues like that. Another thing could be that you have several mutes recorded to the same point.
Another thing that messes the mute automation is different length of tracks in relation to sequence length.

You can check the mutes from the velocity/automation lane or list edit to see where those mutes go crazy and troubleshoot further from there.

I'll check this out in my project.
By Lampdog Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:19 pm
Make several seqs. No track mutes. Chain in song mode. Convert to seq. Now you have a long seq, do track mutes there instead of inside the smaller pre-converted seqs.
By DokBrown Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:03 pm
Lampdog wrote:Make several seqs. No track mutes. Chain in song mode. Convert to seq. Now you have a long seq, do track mutes there instead of inside the smaller pre-converted seqs.

I do not own 1 but I suspect this is where the FORCE stands out.
I am assuming they have ironed out the arrangement mode.
For now, I will have to do better with automation.

Minor Tempo changes & muting tracks are a key part of building up beats.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020 ... port-more/
By Lampdog Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:02 pm
Yep, Arranger (daw timeline) would make this a non issue. I have X so I work it out with what I got.