MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:51 pm
dunkeyman wrote: cannot work for hip hop

Not true.

At all.
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:08 am
dunkeyman: Try it yourself, take a hip-hop tune and cut away one beat from each bar, for example the second one, so your 1234 becomes 134. Kick-Snare-Kick-Snare becomes Kick-Kick-Snare. Great beat IMO!

With stem separation this can be done quite cleany. Because stems are on separate tracks, the cut points don't have to be the same on every track, so you can re-flow the vocals over the new 3/4 beat.
By Lampdog Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:26 am
I did it in a past mpc battle beat, in the middle of the beat I changed it up to 3/4 for a completely diff feel and then went back to normal. It’s the one that starts with the spray paint can shaking.
By dunkeyman Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:41 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:dunkeyman: Try it yourself, take a hip-hop tune and cut away one beat from each bar, for example the second one, so your 1234 becomes 134. Kick-Snare-Kick-Snare becomes Kick-Kick-Snare. Great beat IMO!

With stem separation this can be done quite cleany. Because stems are on separate tracks, the cut points don't have to be the same on every track, so you can re-flow the vocals over the new 3/4 beat.

It can work, I just meant it makes it sort of impossible to dance or head bob to in the traditional sense. Like the Eminem song with the odd time signature, he chose it because he wanted a military-sounding vibe to it. Kind of like certain time signatures are for waltzing.
By hyena Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:53 am
MrFrigo wrote:Would it be possible to have some tracks on 4/4 and one on 3/4 within the same sequence ?
Thank you

sorry i just now realize i misunderstood your question and answered yes. well, the answer is no but yes, sort of... you have to use the track "length" parameter (that let's you specify a number of beats that will be looped\repeated in your track, independent from the other tracks of your sequence).
of course it's not what you asked but might be a feasible workaround in some situations...
By Jeff Soltero Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:29 pm
for me personally, ive found my studio experiences to be less frustrating when i just use the machines the way they were intended to be used. if it doesnt do what you want, a workaround is probably just going to cause more frustration down the line in your project. would be better to just connect your mpc to the daw and use the daw to do these things imho. save yourself the headache.