MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:25 pm
I dont think RockChip makes this particular model anymore, but they had to have bought tons of them. We use a slightly different Rockchip in our 'network media players' that run a stripped down Android OS, and the media players are coming in just as slowly (if ever) as the rest of our stuff is. The chip shortage and shipping problem is very real heh. I think our prices are going to go up a bit over the next few weeks (some have already) in order to account for it, its across the board with everybody in manufacturing right now.
By JonnyQuantum Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:49 pm
Thats what I was thinking... its been 5 years, would expect to see something sooner than later at this point for the X...

JQ

DokBrown wrote:U must keep in mind that they have to coordinate the software & multiple hardware devices. A major hardware upgrade to the X would lead to a fork in code like 32-bit vs 64-bit OS. I doubt inmusic wants to manage the software + 2 different MPC hardware Oss + FORCE OS.

I imagine they will upgrade all the hardware at the same time.
It would be much easier that way.
A new MPC X mk2
A new MPC LIVE mk3
A new MPC ONE mk2

The only questions is will they merge the MPC ONE/LIVE into 1 product.
By JonnyQuantum Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:00 pm
Hello,
You're correct about the shortages. The initial article is here and I think someone made a comment about the motherboard being obsolete..

JQ

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=183219

>>>

EnochLight wrote:
JonnyQuantum wrote:Ive seen a post here on the motherboard being obsolete etc..

Where did you see that post? Not sure how the motherboard would be obsolete, since it's the exact same SoC motherboard that powers all of Akai's current generation MPC's, including the latest retro-edition Live 2 and One, as well as Force. :hmmm:

Ill-Green wrote:However, the prices of the latest MPCs have spiked an extra $100 USD these days. Maybe to fund new manufacturing materials for new models?

Not sure if you've been keeping up on current (electronics) events, but chip fab costs have skyrocketed the past year for almost everyone due to COVID's effect on the manufacturing industry in China as well as a trade-war (thanks to that dope #45), and there's a massive shortage of chips affecting a plethora of industries. I wouldn't be surprised if Akai is affected by this as well.

MPC-Tutor wrote:So considering these are all used inside a tonne of inMusic products, you'd have to assume that inMusic have secured an unlimited source of these boards from somewhere, perhaps custom built.

I hope they have an unlimited source stockpiled somewhere since...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%8 ... p_shortage
By JonnyQuantum Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:10 pm
More info here or dig in the comments of the other topic link..

JQ

>>>

Re: The insides of an MPC X (Internal FCC Photos)
By d2ba Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:19 am
I see a problem there straight away --if the RDXA CPU board is discontinued MPC Live and MPC X is obsolete. This happened with the original Korg Kronos and they made a mk2 model instead the next year.[/quote]

More info here----it was state of the art board in 2015
http://www.cnx-software.com/tag/radxa/

>>>

EnochLight wrote:
JonnyQuantum wrote:Ive seen a post here on the motherboard being obsolete etc..

Where did you see that post? Not sure how the motherboard would be obsolete, since it's the exact same SoC motherboard that powers all of Akai's current generation MPC's, including the latest retro-edition Live 2 and One, as well as Force. :hmmm:

Ill-Green wrote:However, the prices of the latest MPCs have spiked an extra $100 USD these days. Maybe to fund new manufacturing materials for new models?
By JonnyQuantum Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:45 pm
ANDDDD....NEVERMIND! It looks like it was just rumors and a plug for a Masterclass ..
SORRY! :WTF:

Masterclass might be nice though... :-D

>>>
JonnyQuantum wrote:I did some digging and found a few links to the rumors about the Akai MPC X MK2:
If anyone else has any info it would be greatly appreciated =)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... -soon.html

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK7qFUqjHbn/
By EnochLight Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:41 pm
JonnyQuantum wrote:Hello,
You're correct about the shortages. The initial article is here and I think someone made a comment about the motherboard being obsolete..

JQ

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=183219

I'm aware of that thread. The only thing I read about the word "obsolete" was a self-imposed if/then situation someone said:

if the RDXA CPU board is discontinued MPC Live and MPC X is obsolete

Anyway, there are easily alternatives - I'm sure Akai wouldn't have left themselves zero outs. As for an MPC-X version 2... yeah, that looks like a no-go as of right now. Maybe the Live saw a Live 2 because it sold so well (which would also explain the more cost effective One showing up). If Akai didn't push a lot of X units, it might not be worth it to them to do an MK2. Hope I'm wrong, though.
By rvense Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:06 pm
Akai/inMusic can easily make the SoM itself in addition to their motherboard, that's neither a technical nor a legal problem (chip shortage is another thing though). They'll move on from the "Multi core system" as they call it when they're good and ready.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:02 am
EnochLight wrote:…..MPC-X2…..

I would def be interested if it happened.
By kja Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 pm
I think the only reason they did a mk2 of live is they decided that they wanted modular support across all models when they made the one.. At that time semi modular was huge and having cv was a big selling point to bring new customers to mpc.. The 60 had a mk2 so it kind of makes sense.
People on the other forum found the next product already from patent applications and it's a force keyboard..
By Fre$hBreath Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:01 pm
Lampdog wrote:
ontherun wrote:Maybe dont connect midi via USB internaly.

I'm always using MIDI via usb on X and have damn near zero issues, the ones I do have are not brick wall stops at all. Also I realize that I may not work the same as others so there's that too.

I'm currently controlling 30 external MIDI devices using my MPC X with no issues whatsoever.
By misterflibble Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 am

There’s a semiconductor shortage in the industry at the moment due to COVID and supply chain issues. This probably has more to do with price spikes than anything else.
By Lampdog Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:37 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:
I'm currently controlling 30 external MIDI devices using my MPC X with no issues whatsoever.

:nod:
By Monotremata Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:09 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:I'm currently controlling 30 external MIDI devices using my MPC X with no issues whatsoever.

At first I went WTF? But then I remembered you own all the Behringer goodies! :lol: