MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JonnyQuantum Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:30 pm
Hello,
Long time lurker with a quick question. Whats the word for the MPC X? Ive seen a post here on the motherboard being obsolete etc.. Ive had the Renaissance for a bit and looking to upgrade to that nice big screen. Have there been and leaks etc on where this piece of gear is headed or please point me to a link that might clarify? Thanks in advance!

:hmmm: :popcorn:

J
By sinik Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:20 am
i wouldn't bet on new hardware in the near future, maybe a retro version like the one and live 2, but nothing with new internals.

aren't the comments about the motherboard being obsolete just rumours?

what's more or less confirmed is, that there is a very nice update in the pipeline which will be released very soon.

new mpc will be more like 2022 or 2023 i guess...
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:41 am
sinik wrote:aren't the comments about the motherboard being obsolete just rumours?

The Radxa Rock2 SoM motherboard shown in all the original leaks has not been available for purchase for many years. But according to this site the board used these days seems revised and is built on a configuration not originally available on the Rock2. So considering these are all used inside a tonne of inMusic products, you'd have to assume that inMusic have secured an unlimited source of these boards from somewhere, perhaps custom built.
By sinik Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:10 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:The Radxa Rock2 SoM motherboard shown in all the original leaks has not been available for purchase for many years. But according to this site the board used these days seems revised and is built on a configuration not originally available on the Rock2. So considering these are all used inside a tonne of inMusic products, you'd have to assume that inMusic have secured an unlimited source of these boards from somewhere, perhaps custom built.

smart move to put this board across the inmusic platform, very cost efficient.
on the downside, it makes the mpc somehow "less unique" as the some of the dev team also working heavily on all the other inmusic OS platforms. but of course, this could also be a good thing in the end...

i'm happy if they are still tweaking the current mpc's. there is alot of UX stuff to improve, without being in the need of a more powerfull processor...
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:55 am
Something is around the corner. With 3.0 emerging soon, maybe by November and a few GAS-induced summer NAMM '21 videos.

Just have to wait and see. However, the prices of the latest MPCs have spiked an extra $100 USD these days. Maybe to fund new manufacturing materials for new models? But from the looks of their Retro style, I think thats where they going but with newer features, newer ergonomics, maybe new onboard buttons and knobs. Don't be surprised if the screen gets smaller. :shock:
By DokBrown Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 pm
U must keep in mind that they have to coordinate the software & multiple hardware devices. A major hardware upgrade to the X would lead to a fork in code like 32-bit vs 64-bit OS. I doubt inmusic wants to manage the software + 2 different MPC hardware Oss + FORCE OS.

I imagine they will upgrade all the hardware at the same time.
It would be much easier that way.
A new MPC X mk2
A new MPC LIVE mk3
A new MPC ONE mk2

The only questions is will they merge the MPC ONE/LIVE into 1 product.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:24 pm
ontherun wrote:Maybe dont connect midi via USB internaly.

I'm always using MIDI via usb on X and have damn near zero issues, the ones I do have are not brick wall stops at all. Also I realize that I may not work the same as others so there's that too.
By Monotremata Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:15 pm
Yeah no trouble here with the USB MIDI and all of my stuff is connected to it via a USB hub. My three DIN devices left are my EMU, my Roland XV rack and my MicrowaveXT, which are connected to an old AMT8 thats plugged into the hub along with my Blofeld, Bass Station 2, TD-3, SQ-1, etc. Id be dead in the water if my EMU wasn't syncing properly as most of my tracks actually play from that that until they get a better sampler in the MPC itself. My MPC is pretty much the drums and any tracks left over the EMU doesn't have outputs for, everything else is my MIDI gear and no trouble at all here.

After 2 years with the OG Live, I'm jonesing to move up to the X myself, but I've learned my lesson too well, and Im sitting put with my Live because I know the minute I buy one, mk2 will come out. The X right now is just going to give me convenience. A faster workflow thanks to the extra buttons, a couple extra outputs, and I can scrap my SQ-1 as a MIDI/CV converter, but Ill wait it out and get new features with it as well so it can really be an upgrade.
By EnochLight Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 pm
JonnyQuantum wrote:Ive seen a post here on the motherboard being obsolete etc..

Where did you see that post? Not sure how the motherboard would be obsolete, since it's the exact same SoC motherboard that powers all of Akai's current generation MPC's, including the latest retro-edition Live 2 and One, as well as Force. :hmmm:

Ill-Green wrote:However, the prices of the latest MPCs have spiked an extra $100 USD these days. Maybe to fund new manufacturing materials for new models?

Not sure if you've been keeping up on current (electronics) events, but chip fab costs have skyrocketed the past year for almost everyone due to COVID's effect on the manufacturing industry in China as well as a trade-war (thanks to that dope #45), and there's a massive shortage of chips affecting a plethora of industries. I wouldn't be surprised if Akai is affected by this as well.

MPC-Tutor wrote:So considering these are all used inside a tonne of inMusic products, you'd have to assume that inMusic have secured an unlimited source of these boards from somewhere, perhaps custom built.

I hope they have an unlimited source stockpiled somewhere since...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%8 ... p_shortage