MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ggohierroy Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:06 pm
Like many others out there, I recorded an automation by mistake, and I'm having trouble fixing that mistake.

I know how to delete a single automation, either by using the erase menu or by going in the grid editor and delete the parameter automation.

But, somehow, by doing a solo automation, my sequence now has all 128 tracks with a solo automation in it.

First, I have no clue how those tracks magically appeared since I use only 11 tracks in that sequence.

Secondly, I don't know how to fix it other than manually clearing 110 tracks, or deleting 110 automation in the grid or erase menu.

Thirdly, once I got about doing all of this, I don't know how to avoid making that mistake again. Why were all tracks created with a solo automation? I don't even know how to automate multiple tracks at once.

Thanks for your help!
By Lampdog Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:13 pm
What mpc are you using and what firmware version?

Would you mind sending that project to one of us to help troubleshoot?

Can you recap the exact step you did that made the 128 tracks appear?
By ggohierroy Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:31 pm
I recently purchased the MPC One, and I updated it to the latest firmware (2.9.1)

Sure, I can send the project. Is there a preferred way to share files? I could dump it on Google Drive and share a link?

I honestly can't remember exactly what happened other than I was in Over Dub + Play and that I was trying to solo a track from the main view. Then I went in the track mute view to see if I could fix the issue, and I'm not sure if I did something there, but all previously unused tracks were lighting green because it now had a solo automation.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 pm
I have X on 2.9.1. If you don't mind, when I get home in a few hours I can load it up and help you troubleshoot.

It could have been something in PREFERENCES where you can record multiple tracks?? Not sure, I'd have to be sitting at my X and go through the project and/or prefs.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:00 pm
I am home now, my preferences will still be mine, but, I loaded your project, HOLY shit, I've never seen anyone use all 128 tracks, lol.

Seq 1 has the 128 used tracks. Other seqs do not.
This all happened while you were doing filter cutoff and solo automations on Seq1 is what LIST EDIT is showing me.

What I think happened is: (just my theory)

In prefs/sequencer you had maybe accidentally set
REC ARM: MULTI
RECORD TRACK MUTES AND SOLO EVENTS: Checked

+or

WHILE recording automations on an armed track you accidentally started rolling the jog wheel through tracks while pressing pads. This will result in recording on EVERY track scrolled through no matter how brief. All tracks are by default "armed/auto", so scrolling through means you instantly touched/record to it.

Do you remember accidentally scrolling the jog wheel will doing automations to Seq1?

What I would do for Seq1, uniquely name each track w/ the associated program name ("seq1, trk 15, testdrum") and EXPORT AS PATTERN (pencil icon in main menu in track area)

Move to an unused seq and reload each PATTERN (track) there (.mpcpattern = a single track save). You can rearrange them after you've got all the patterns loaded into that new seq. Less patterns/tracks to save rather than to delete each wayward track, quicker method yes, but still takes time. Patterns will load into whatever track is/was last currently on screen.

BTW that is DEF a knockin SoCal 1980's San Fernando (Reseda) style. Brought back some crazy memories.

Anything you need me to check on it? Other than that I'll delete it. Lemme know.

By ggohierroy Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:40 pm
Thanks for checking!

Track mutes and solo events was checked but rec arm was set to single.

By jog wheel, I'm guessing you are talking about the big wheel? (Data wheel?). It's entirely possible, but it seems like going through all 128 tracks would require a lot of scrolling, and I don't remember scrolling that much.

I appreciate the suggestion on how to fix this. I turned off track mutes and solo events, hopefully it doesn't happen again. So annoying!

Thanks again!
By Lampdog Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:45 pm
Anything else you want me to check on it?

I told you all I could come up with while looking at it and trying diff pref settings.

Yes jog/data wheel is the big silver wheel. Of course it could totally be a bug but on X IDK how to re-create if exact steps aren't re-created. But the fix steps above will get you back to a clean lean seq save point.
Save project as a dif name and you have 2 of them in case this happens again you have a clean project to load up again. Many people do this btw.
By 40Beatz Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:33 pm
I just checked out your ProjectFile. Somehow you Automated a Mute/Solo to ALL the "Empty" Tracks. In Standalone, the only option would be to Delete/Clear Each Track after Track 17-128 Manually lol. Ouch!

Or Redo the Project?

That was Challenging to Figure Out lol. I wish we could Highlight all the Tracks and hit Clear. But......