MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Terrico Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:11 am
Good day Everyone.

Can someone explain why there is such a big difference in sound quality when I use a keygroup program vs 16 level using the same bass note. Using 16 LEVELS I can here the low end frequencies perfectly but when I use the key group program, I can barely hear the low frequencies the same. I feel like with 16 LEVELS you can reach lower notes with better sound quality compared to the keygroup program(with octave set to 0).

Thanks for the help
By 40Beatz Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:51 pm
Probably depends on the Levels set when you create the Keygroup Program. You may have the Drum Program Levels hittin harder than the initial Default Keygroup Program settings. Other than that. It should be the same. Keygroup Programs gives your more Octave Flexibility.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm
Within the identical 16 note range they should sound the same (assuming all other program parameters are equal). You lose bass the more you tune a sample, especially to the extremes that can potentially be employed in keygroup programs. But the underlying process of tuning the sample is the same in both instances.
By Terrico Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:31 pm
Well im definitely not getting the same sound quality even though the notes may be the same. What parameters can I tweak in order to achieve the same quality in the key group program. In 16 LEVELS I don't have to tweek anything to get a good initial sound. Is there a topic I can research in order to achieve great sounding bass.

Thank you
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:01 pm
I can't answer that as I don't experience any difference in sound. There shouldn't be any difference.

Remember, unless you state otherwise, the keygroup program will assume the sample has a root note of C3, so you might need to set a more appropriate root note either in the layer you've assigned the sample to or within sample edit.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've 'set the octave to 0'? What root note did you set for your sample and are you playing notes within the same pitch range as the pitch range covered in 16 levels? i.e. are you comparing like for like? If you set the root note to C3, the C3 is pad D13 in a keygroup program.

Perhaps give a step by step description for what you are doing. And make sure you have pad perform turned off.
By T-Monk Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:22 am
Do you have some programs you can share so we could load them up and see what you mean first hand?

It is probably the volume on the Keygroup, but it could be something else. I doubt that 16 levels used a different pitching algorithm than Keygroups when a not gets pitched up or down, but it’s worth a look.
By SuperKonquer Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:56 am
if you are using a program kit it may have fx and adjusted filters etc etc. if you load a sample from that kit into a keygroup it will have only default settings with no Fx. Making a new sample of that pad then loading into a keygroup should accomplish the desired result.