MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:07 am
Not only did I curse the Sun, Moon, and Stars, but I cursed the dark matter holding this b!tch together too.

Check it out, I started a groove in Studio One and decided that I wanted to move it to MPC instead because I’m just more familiar with my MPC, but muvaphucka, why whenever I drag and drop a MIDI track in the MPC not only does it go to another sequence but it deletes track 1 in sequence 1, wtf????

And to make things worse the play head won’t move anymore so now I gotta do it all over again.

B!!!!!!!!!!!!!tch!!!!!

By Lampdog Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:53 pm
Did you take into account…

midi 0, all tracks merged into a single track.
midi 1, separate info for each track.

Both end with .mid

…file types? IDK which one your importing to MPC.

MPC might be treating both like 0, I haven’t imported a midi track to mpc x but I’m guessing those 2 file types will load differently.

Also don’t know if mpc x will properly import ANY midi track, again, haven’t done it.
By NearTao Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:01 pm
Yeah... there's some stuff with the MPC and importing midi, but it works well enough.

If you import midi with multiple tracks, it will put them all on their own track, and if it is a single track, it'll just be one track.

I've imported a ton, and I'm pretty sure in standalone mode it asks if you want to put it onto a new sequence.

My biggest problem with importing is that it keeps a lot of the other data like volume, pan, program change, etc... and you may have to go back in and edit that stuff in list edit mode for the track to function properly.
By Lampdog Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:41 pm
Isn’t a midi file “supposed” to keep those midi cc’s/functions?
By Fre$hBreath Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:59 am
The thing is Studio One allows you to export each track individually, so that's why I didn't try the method you described. I will experiment to see how successful I am doing it the way you suggested...
By wavejockey Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:26 am
i record my playing on my casio piano to a .mid file and import it correctly into my X
but as said before, because the casio also exports all sliders/knobs etc as (default) MIDI cc values
you'll have to delete those in the LIST EDIT
to counter any MIDI cc's you had assigned yourself on the X
(how can the MPC know that the MIDI cc you assigned to parameter A on one keyboard, connects to parameter B on the MPC ?)
By Bezo Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:51 am
Am I misunderstanding the OP? Isn't he complaining about the MPC's midi import philosophy of forcing the midi to track 1 of a new sequence, and its inability to select the sequence & track of choice? And isn't this regardless of midi 0 or 1 type?
By Lampdog Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 am
Skipped NT’s response maybe?
By Fre$hBreath Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:14 am
Bezo wrote:Am I misunderstanding the OP? Isn't he complaining about the MPC's midi import philosophy of forcing the midi to track 1 of a new sequence, and its inability to select the sequence & track of choice? And isn't this regardless of midi 0 or 1 type?

This is correct...
By pase Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:39 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:
Bezo wrote:Am I misunderstanding the OP? Isn't he complaining about the MPC's midi import philosophy of forcing the midi to track 1 of a new sequence, and its inability to select the sequence & track of choice? And isn't this regardless of midi 0 or 1 type?

This is correct...

Really hoped this was fixed in the update
By MPD MPK RAY Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:44 pm
IF they would fix MIDI IMPORT and add Ghost Notes I would buy an X and sluaghter the globe............Anyhoo I'll be in my Akai FIRE waiting room......
By handed Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:29 am
Is this behaviour still the same now? Is there a way to import a MIDI file to a chosen track? For example, say I've already got a sequence going with several tracks and I'd like to import a MIDI file (containing only one channel's worth of information, i.e. an exported MIDI clip from Ableton) to track 3. Is this possible from the standalone if I've got the relevant MIDI file stored on an SD card?
By SuperKonquer Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:03 pm
handed wrote:Is this behaviour still the same now? Is there a way to import a MIDI file to a chosen track? For example, say I've already got a sequence going with several tracks and I'd like to import a MIDI file (containing only one channel's worth of information, i.e. an exported MIDI clip from Ableton) to track 3. Is this possible from the standalone if I've got the relevant MIDI file stored on an SD card?

It's still the same, but the workaround takes 3secs. Import the midi file which will create a new sequence, then hit pencil icon and "copy events" to track 3 in the old sequence. Its very fast.

Not intuitive as just loading a track into your sequence from the jump but do it ten times and you'll barely miss how it should be.
By SuperKonquer Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:12 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:Not only did I curse the Sun, Moon, and Stars, but I cursed the dark matter holding this b!tch together too.

Check it out, I started a groove in Studio One and decided that I wanted to move it to MPC instead because I’m just more familiar with my MPC, but muvaphucka, why whenever I drag and drop a MIDI track in the MPC not only does it go to another sequence but it deletes track 1 in sequence 1, wtf????

And to make things worse the play head won’t move anymore so now I gotta do it all over again.

B!!!!!!!!!!!!!tch!!!!!

See my post above. Just make sure you are importing to a empty sequence. Also remember that the undo button is unlimited(minus destructive audio editing) until you save the project, so if you mess something up just undo it and try again.
By SuperKonquer Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:23 pm
NearTao wrote:Yeah... there's some stuff with the MPC and importing midi, but it works well enough.

If you import midi with multiple tracks, it will put them all on their own track, and if it is a single track, it'll just be one track.

I've imported a ton, and I'm pretty sure in standalone mode it asks if you want to put it onto a new sequence.

My biggest problem with importing is that it keeps a lot of the other data like volume, pan, program change, etc... and you may have to go back in and edit that stuff in list edit mode for the track to function properly.

CC stuff should show up in the grid mode parameters box. If there is any automation present you can just choose it from the box then hit the trash icon to delete that parameter's data from the whole track. But the quickest way if you don't need to be surgical is using the "erase" "automation" from main edit.