MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mrrafs Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:39 am
From viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211654
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2 - Not working
- DJ AD-IO. works
- iConnectivity iConnectAudio2+ works (see contradiction bellow)
- Presonus audiobox 96 work ok
- Zoom H4n PRO works
- 2nd gen 18i20 Focusrite Scarlett and octo pre both work
- Steinberg UR22 Mk II : OK
- Steinberg UR44 : OK, but with metronome click causing overs (MPC One firmware 2.10.0)
- Zoom H4n : OK, but high latency, something like 300 ms from MIDI note to sound

From: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/mpc-live ... 32978/6819
IConnect Audio 2+ with an additionally connected iPad and their Audio-App does not work. The app shows the sampling rate setting and allows to change it. I tried 44.1 kHz with 16 and 24 bit and got in both cases an error message from the MPC. (see contradiction Above)
By iLLadelphian Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:33 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Anyone with an Allen & Heath Qu-16 or SQ5 or Midas M32R Live can confirm they’re working?

I don't think they work. I have only found the Beringer Wing and X32 as potential usable digital mixers. The issue is that digital mixers seem to start their sample rate at 48khz for the usb interface. So unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, you will be hard pressed to find digital mixers that support 44.1 Khz besides the 2 I mentioned.
By iLLadelphian Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:43 am
ACRE wrote:
iLLadelphian wrote:Is the only supported sample rate for the MPC 44.1 when using it with one of these audio interfaces?

yes i'm afraid it's only 44.1 ... i'm not sure it would make a huge difference ...
... ok now , sorry guys to point out this forever ongoing subject but ... the sound quality of the class compliance :
here's how i compare the overall sound, the summing, the dynamic etc etc ... mine is an MPC X :

1 : internal summing of the mpc : everything goes to the MAIN OUT
2 : the 8 outs of the X goes into my SSL6 (which has 10 ins actually) analog mixer
3 : class compliance mode & its 32 outs so the sound goes into my RME Fireface UFX2

1 : INTERNAL SUMMING : the sound is punchy, pretty fat but as soon as you summ a lot of tracks, the sound starts to get muddy & you loose a lot of definition
2 : EXTERNAL SUMMING : day & night : the 8 outs of the X allows an external summing trough any analog equipment : an SSL6 in my case : the sound quality (thanks to the SSL Eq & compressors) is astonishing really, you get the punch, the clarity, the dynamic & the neutral sound of your music, the stereo image is somehow wider ... i don't know how but ... it adds this little something to your X ... the lows are either fatter or punchier , the highs are polished in a good way , pleasant , not harsh , shines your mix really ... so i was happy with this setting ...

but i said, let's try the class compliance mode to compare ...
1st of all ... 44.1Khz, not sure it makes a huge difference to the sound, i'm happy with it ... i know working in 44.1 is a lot of times, enough to achieve a great quality , sometimes better than 48 or 96 Khz , check fabfilter website on the subject ... so 44.1 is ok ...
so i start a new session & send few tracks to my RME ...

... straight away i got disappointed ... WTF is that sound ... no more punch, no more dynamic, i had to spend a huge amount of time on the mix to get the sound i had before ... my RME converters are excellent but in class compliant mode i feel like when i start a fresh blank session in a daw ... the sound is flat, boring.

the only PRO i found in class compliance mode is the space available in the stereo field, you can add a lot of elements to your mix before the summing start to weaken.
So on 1 side it's not so bad, but on the other it needs a huge amount of time on the mix process to get this Akai or SSL sound ... so for now, i'll stick with the 8 outs of the X.

Have you noticed a difference in class compliance mode ?

You know I didn't even consider the quality aspect of this. I was more concerned about how many digital mixers would work it. But, to your point, if there's a perceived quality difference, then I'll stick with my 8 outs on my X. I can't test my X for this kind of difference, but thanks for the insight.

Side note, you have access to all 32 outs using the UCX2 in CC mode? I thought CC mode limited the channel count significantly.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:49 am
ACRE wrote:sorry guys to point out this forever ongoing subject but ... the sound quality of the class compliance...
... straight away i got disappointed ... WTF is that sound ... no more punch, no more dynamic... the sound is flat, boring.

iLLadelphian wrote:You know I didn't even consider the quality aspect of this..

It's definitely something to consider as I'm not seeing much discussion about this at all.
By Bezo Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:54 am
Hold up. So even the interfaces that work, only work at 44.1kHz?
By ace_of_dub Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 pm

... straight away i got disappointed ... WTF is that sound ... no more punch, no more dynamic, i had to spend a huge amount of time on the mix to get the sound i had before ... my RME converters are excellent but in class compliant mode i feel like when i start a fresh blank session in a daw ... the sound is flat, boring.

LOL, and here I thought the accepted narrative on the interwebs was "the more lofi the more punch and more dynamic", what changed? :lol:

Neither "dynamics" nor "punch" are affected by the sampling frequency at 44.1KHz . It's the bit depth that matters in that regard. Stop being over dramatic.
By 0011 Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:31 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Anyone with an Allen & Heath Qu-16 or SQ5 or Midas M32R Live can confirm they’re working?
Allen & Heath qu pac doesn't work over here.
I think the qu series sample rate is fixed on 48khz.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:58 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:[
Neither "dynamics" nor "punch" are affected by the sampling frequency at 44.1KHz . It's the bit depth that matters in that regard. Stop being over dramatic.

I don't think he was saying he's losing punch because of 44.1kHz, he's saying that by not sending his audio out of the MPC's analogue outs, he's losing the punch and dynamics that those outputs provided.
By ACRE Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm
i have access to 16 stereo outs so 32 mono outs in my fireface ufx2
you set everything up in totalmix fx & back it up in the unit

then in class compliant mode you have access to these 16 stereo outs
By ACRE Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:58 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
ace_of_dub wrote:[

I don't think he was saying he's losing punch because of 44.1kHz, he's saying that by not sending his audio out of the MPC's analogue outs, he's losing the punch and dynamics that those outputs provided.

exactly ... thanks, i was talking about the summing & the overall sound quality of it ...
By ACRE Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:03 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:

LOL, and here I thought the accepted narrative on the interwebs was "the more lofi the more punch and more dynamic", what changed? :lol:

i'm not being dramatic trust me ...
have you tried an external summing of the X ? trough any external gear ? & you haven't heard any difference ?
By Certified Beatz Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:22 pm
ACRE wrote:i have access to 16 stereo outs so 32 mono outs in my fireface ufx2
you set everything up in totalmix fx & back it up in the unit

then in class compliant mode you have access to these 16 stereo outs

My question how are you going to 16 outs to your daw?
By ace_of_dub Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:47 pm
My question how are you going to 16 outs to your daw?

I think what a lot of people aren't getting here is that the USB class compliance applies to the MPC itself .It means that the MPC serves as a USB concentrator, the computer has absolutely nothing to do in that setup.

IF a soundcard has 16 outputs, then the audio source is the MPC, not the computer.

if a soundcard has 16 inputs, then these inputs are directed to the MPC, not the computer.

The 2.10 update doesn't allow to do anything with an external computer in terms of audio. The audio interface becomes a peripheral for the MPC, not the computer.

If your goal is to use a DAW (for mixing purposes), then it makes no sense to open a project in standalone mode at first place. Use that project in controller mode directly in your DAW.