MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fletchnyc Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:32 pm
When recording audio in the audio section of the MPC, is there a way to press record, and have the recording start at the beginning of the next bar, instead of beginning to record immediately? Right now, to record audio that starts on the one, I have to stop whatever sequence that is currently playing, and then press record + play/start, wait for the count-in, and then record. I would like to just press record as a sequence is playing, and have the MPC not start recording immediately, but start recording at the beginning of the next bar. This is something that Ableton does, and it’s great for being able to just start recording as you’re creating music, and everything stays neat and clean.
By HouseWithoutMouse Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:41 pm
A fresh MPC user here. I tried to find exactly what you want, but apparently it isn't possible. The audio track recording thingy can't do overdubs, and it won't record beyond the end of the sequence (loop). There's the "Auto Record" feature in the Locate window where you get by double-tapping the time counter, but I can't get it to work no matter what. I was able to auto-record MIDI once, but not again. Repeating the same steps, nothing. For audio I couldn't get it to start recording at all, with any combination of settings, stop/start, record arm etc. and reading the manual.

I found these semi-lame workarounds:
- Use the Looper, which can do Overdubs. After you got the loop recorded, a multi-step procedure is needed to get the recorded loop onto an audio track, involving many button presses and touch screen functions. It's so tedious, you might as well stop playback and record from zero with count-in, because your flow was interrupted anyway.
- Place your song content so that MPC's bar 2 is your song/chorus's bar 1, so there's some time to press record between MPC's bars 1-2. You need to plan this ahead.
- Maybe you could use "single sequence workflow". Don't start your song in the sequence at bar 1. Start at something like bar 9 and set the loop to bars 9-16. Then you can maybe jump back to bar 8 using a locator, so that it feels continuous, and press record when bar 9 starts. Or use auto recording, if you can get it to work, I couldn't.

It looks like the MPC was designed to be an integrated sampler and MIDI sequencer for making something like 8-bar loops (sequences). Anything outside that "designed for" native sweet spot has been added later, and support for every use-case has to be specifically implemented one by one.

With all of my few days of experience in using the MPC One, to me it seems that in order to compete with Ableton for audio-recording use cases, at least the following changes are needed in MPC standalone:
- It must be possible to share Tracks between multiple Sequences
- It must be possible to record tracks which overlap Sequence boundaries
- There has to be Audio Warp Markers and Audio Quantize, without being limited to a "MIDI+sampler" concept. Each slice has to be able to automatically self-stretch so that it ends when the next slice starts. (Which isn't possible with conventional MIDI, because in MIDI you can only send commands instructing the recipient to do something ASAP, and there's no way to say "there's 100 ms time before I'll send you the next command")
- It must be possible to record audio and have it audio-quantized etc. without interrupting the flow and stopping playback, and without being forced into the sequence jail.
By HouseWithoutMouse Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:29 pm
**** IGNORE THAT!! **** I finally understood what the exact button-press sequence is for using Auto Record.

- Start playback on your loop, say, bars 1-8
- Record synths, drums, whatever ...
----> INSPIRATION STRIKE! You want to record audio now.
- Double-tap the time display in the Main window to enter the Locate window
- Enable the third Auto Record option, "Record Start", which looks like "(>) |"
- (close the Locate screen)
- (go to Audio tracks)
- Record-arm your Audio Track
- Press the Record button
- --> The Recording light will start blinking, meaning that it's waiting to start recording
----> Recording will start automatically the next time the playback position loops to start!
By Fletchnyc Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:15 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:**** IGNORE THAT!! **** I finally understood what the exact button-press sequence is for using Auto Record.

- (go to Audio tracks)
- --> The Recording light will start blinking, meaning that it's waiting to start recording
----> Recording will start automatically the next time the playback position loops to start!

Interesting. I’ll give this a shot, and let you know if it’s a solution for me. Thanks for taking the time to look into this!
By Fletchnyc Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:**** IGNORE THAT!! **** I finally understood what the exact button-press sequence is for using Auto Record.

- (go to Audio tracks)

Shit, man. This works! Totally brilliant on your part. I honestly didn’t even know about the locate box. Damn, that's awesome. Thanks a lot for this. Really helpful!
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:04 pm
No problem! Thanks to your question, I found out about the Locate window, and how to auto record. Without this, the whole audio recording feature was next to useless. I had already talked about it with a fellow user, who had also concluded that it's not possible. I'm sure there are many other people out there who need this but cannot find the feature. Who could anyone think of double-tapping the time display.
By Fletchnyc Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:20 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:No problem! Thanks to your question, I found out about the Locate window, and how to auto record. Without this, the whole audio recording feature was next to useless. I had already talked about it with a fellow user, who had also concluded that it's not possible. I'm sure there are many other people out there who need this but cannot find the feature. Who could anyone think of double-tapping the time display.

Yea, there’s no doubt this is a feature that a lot of people need, but have no idea how to do it. Not exactly the most obvious feature to find. Hopefully people find this thread and are able to learn about it. Thanks again, man!