MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By grandtheftpixel Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:02 am
A dealer in Sydney Australia has just told me that the MPC X has been discontinued and they are no longer receiving stock. I can't find any information about this anywhere. Does anyone have any creditable information on the MPC X being discontinued?
By ace_of_dub Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:53 am
So your dealer in Sydney Australia isn't "creditable information " at first place? why would anybody be more privy to that kind of information here then?
By Ill-Green Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:01 am
I don't think so, they just released 2.10 and the X is the flagship model, unless they are discontinuing the current model for an X2 which could happen, or even a retro version...
By EnochLight Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:57 pm
grandtheftpixel wrote:A dealer in Sydney Australia has just told me that the MPC X has been discontinued and they are no longer receiving stock. I can't find any information about this anywhere. Does anyone have any creditable information on the MPC X being discontinued?

Your retailer will know more than anyone in this forum, or likely on the entire Internet.

Ill-Green wrote:I don't think so, they just released 2.10 and the X is the flagship model, unless they are discontinuing the current model for an X2 which could happen, or even a retro version...

When the MPC One launched, everyone said the MPC Live was going to get discontinued, as it also had a small price drop at a lot of retailers and stock was drying up. I reached out to Akai themselves via their Facebook page, and publicly asked them if the MPC Live was being discontinued, and I was told a flat "NO" by Akai.

Not even two weeks later, the MPC Live 2 was announced, and the original Live was, in fact, discontinued.

So whether the X has been discontinued or not will remain a mystery, IMHO, until stock dries up. Akai themselves will even tell you something completely different (even though I get that their whole point was they were launching a new follow-up to the Live at the time in the form of the Live II, and obviously didn't want to reveal that fact so far in advance). :smoker:

I do wonder about the sustainability of the MPC X as a flagship product, though. Clearly the MPC One and Live 2 have been their top sellers - having been at both lower price points and getting "retro" editions makes this highly likely. I can imagine component shortages, chip shortages, manufacturing issues, and other COVID-related effects have caused them to make some hard choices these past 2 years, just like everyone else. I do hope they follow up the X with an "X 2" though - it really is the pinnacle of the MPC-platform still, today. All those OLED's and Q-Links, that giant touch screen - just awesome. They only need to improve the hardware buttons (add some more, as the MPC One seems to have better buttons than the X!), and maybe tweak some other things. Not sure how relevant the additional i/o is on the X now, since as of 2.10 we can use any** USB Class Compliant audio interface with any MPC...

Personally, if that 61-key MPC makes an appearance that was teased in the other thread, I might be more interested in that than a traditional MPC-X form factor. I doubt they'd replace one with the other, though. Or maybe they would. :lol:

** Well, "any" as in ones that seem to be working ok..
By Ultros Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:26 pm
EnochLight wrote:Personally, if that 61-key MPC makes an appearance that was teased in the other thread, I might be more interested in that than a traditional MPC-X form factor.

I think I could dig that keyboard as well. I'm REALLY hoping the force and mpc keyboards are real and their close to release. I just hope akai keeps the keybed as senstive as their controllers. Even with velocity curve adjustments my microkorg still doesnt have the level of sensitivity my cheap little mpk-mini has. I gotta bash the keys to hit 127 and that's one thing that really bugs me about keyboards and synths.
By grandtheftpixel Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:55 am
I heard back from the supplier today.

Apparently there was a fire at one of the major chip factories in Japan that has impacted global supply for the X.

There currently is no X supply available to import countries, ie Australia. And no hard timeline as to when it'll become available again. Apparently given the success of the Live series they anticipate future generations to go that way.
By ace_of_dub Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:40 pm
grandtheftpixel wrote:
Apparently there was a fire at one of the major chip factories in Japan that has impacted global supply for the X.

Makes no sense, all the MPC are using the same SoC. By that logic all the MPC would be discontinued.
By SakisX Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:43 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:
grandtheftpixel wrote:

Makes no sense, all the MPC are using the same SoC. By that logic all the MPC would be discontinued.

maybe other parts where affected (screen , oleds etc...)
By marctronixx Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 pm
that fire happened over a year ago and with the chip shortage trying to catch up, some things will be delayed.

your supplier probably heard 3rd hand and may have been misinformed. i can understand a delay. but discontinued?

Your retailer will know more than anyone in this forum, or likely on the entire Internet.

surely this is a sarcastic reply? my good man you have no idea who frequents these forums and what they know or don't know.
By Patrick853 Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:28 pm
A few month back I ordered a MPC X. I was expecting some longer delivery time, but since from last weekend, the X shows up as no longer available from my music store, so I contacted them. I got the reply, they expect a few items in and will be able to fulfill the orders already placed. There is however no opportunity to place any new orders since no extra new MPC X's will come in.

So now I am in doubt, will there be a new model on the way, and would I be better of canceling this order and wait. Or will it be end of product line and keep the order since there will be no X equivalent.

Is there anyone in the know that can and is allowed to lift a tip of the veil?
Thanks, Patrick
By MPC-Tutor Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 pm
No one around knows, or if they did they would probably tied to a non-disclosure agreement. Lack of MPC X units could mean X2 is coming, a different type of flagship on the way, or perhaps nothing at all. Maybe the Live 2 will be the flagship.

Patrick853 wrote:A few month back I ordered a MPC X. I was expecting some longer delivery time, but since from last weekend, the X shows up as no longer available from my music store, so I contacted them. I got the reply, they expect a few items in and will be able to fulfill the orders already placed. There is however no opportunity to place any new orders since no extra new MPC X's will come in.

So now I am in doubt, will there be a new model on the way, and would I be better of canceling this order and wait. Or will it be end of product line and keep the order since there will be no X equivalent.

Is there anyone in the know that can and is allowed to lift a tip of the veil?
Thanks, Patrick
By Straker Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:29 pm
If I were Akai, I would make a combination of Live and X as a new X2.
Small as Live, 8/16 qlinks, 4 stereo out, maybe oled but not necessary (qlink overlay can easily substitute oled).
I never liked X, too big, too expensive, a waste of resources at the end.
No surprise the real sellers are Live and One.
Anyway, one thing I learned is that you'll never know what is on Akai mind until a new product comes out.
So let's see.
Given that X is 4 years old, it wouldn't be a surprise if they change the hardware in some way, as they did with Live and Live2.
By kja Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:58 pm
I don't have a x, bit i would be very sad if the discontinue it.. It is such a beast and i think it is about the perfect mpc. It has everything, and things fact they can just continue to upgrade the o.s i don't see the point.. It was never gonna sell that well being so expensive and specialized.. Those that did get them love them though.
By Monotremata Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:05 pm
Straker wrote:Given that X is 4 years old, it wouldn't be a surprise if they change the hardware in some way, as they did with Live and Live2.

The only change to any of the hardware has been the buttons on the outside of the case (or the speaker in the Live 2). The inside of the MPC One, Live, Live II, and X are all the same guts they've been for the last 3-4 years since the Live first came out. They're not upgrading anything until they have a new platform and when they do, we're more than likely going to see the entire line up get replaced.

@marctronixx - true retailers MIGHT shadow these boards, but that is not how retail works. Until Akai announces something has been discontinued publicly, retailers are NOT allowed to divulge that information. That is a really great and fast way to lose your distribution deal with a partner (and possibly get sued) when employees go blabbing their secrets on message boards (or even telling customers over the phone who then go and blab on message boards).
By Straker Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:33 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Straker wrote:Given that X is 4 years old, it wouldn't be a surprise if they change the hardware in some way, as they did with Live and Live2.

The only change to any of the hardware has been the buttons on the outside of the case (or the speaker in the Live 2). The inside of the MPC One, Live, Live II, and X are all the same guts they've been for the last 3-4 years since the Live first came out. They're not upgrading anything until they have a new platform and when they do, we're more than likely going to see the entire line up get replaced.

@marctronixx - true retailers MIGHT shadow these boards, but that is not how retail works. Until Akai announces something has been discontinued publicly, retailers are NOT allowed to divulge that information. That is a really great and fast way to lose your distribution deal with a partner (and possibly get sued) when employees go blabbing their secrets on message boards (or even telling customers over the phone who then go and blab on message boards).

Maybe, maybe not.
I would not be so sure about Akai.
As they upgraded Live hardware with buttons and speaker, they could also upgrade X hardware, maybe shrink it a bit, it's the only one of new Mpc line that it still the same as 4 years ago, it's too expensive and I am quite sure it's not selling that good because of size and price, so an upgrade to make it smaller and less expensive would make a lot of sense.
But nobody of us can enter Akai's mind.
Nobody predicted the speaker on Live2, for example. One also came as a surprise.
So I wouldn't be so sure about what will happen in the future.