MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By railspike Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:05 pm
Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen here, for playback works fine. However with 2.11 I can't seem to get rid of the clicks and pops when recording (I'm recording into inputs 3/4 stereo, also had an issue with input 1 recording guitar at one point. Both audio tracks and sampler mode had the issue)

While using 2.10, I was able to find a work-around to it. I'd turn both the MPC and 18i20 on (unconnected), go into the MPC's settings to the audio device bit, then plug in the 18i20. Give it a few seconds til the little lock lights up on the 18i20, wait another few seconds til the last popping noise would happen through the speakers or headphones, then exit out of settings. If I didn't do things in that order I'd get the popping and clicking while sampling.

This hasn't worked since updating to 2.11 though, even with the newest update. Haven't found a way to make it work consistently. There was one day I didn't get the popping but I have no idea why!

Also, this is all in standalone
By Fretless Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:25 am
Scarlett 18i20 here with a MPC One and a MPC Key 61. Very minimal pops and crackles, but still enough to be annoying if working on quieter parts of a track. Translates into recordings as well when using external gear. Tried adjusting sample rate and buffer before plugging it into the MPC, but it doesn't seem to change anything.
By Fretless Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:09 pm
Fretless wrote:Scarlett 18i20 here with a MPC One and a MPC Key 61. Very minimal pops and crackles, but still enough to be annoying if working on quieter parts of a track. Translates into recordings as well when using external gear. Tried adjusting sample rate and buffer before plugging it into the MPC, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

To further elaborate on this after a night of testing. When running in controller mode (using what I assume are the same internal settings of the MPC Key 61 ((44.1, buffer at 256))) I can reproduce the pops and crackle. When I up the buffer rate to 512, the problem goes away entirely.

I don't really want to have to run in controller mode, but at least I know I can use my 18i20 plugged into my MPC while it's plugged into the computer. Audio pass through and everything seems to work just fine.

Hopefully Akai will let us adjust the buffer size when in standalone mode one day.
By Dan Batts Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:19 pm
misterflibble wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:So, where are we at with compatible interfaces? Do we have any that are actually 100% working, confirmed by at least 3 members?

I’ve had at least three people tell me they’ve had good experiences with the UMC1820.

I’ve got to respond to this as I’ve had tons of frustration with the UMC 1820. I sent the first unit back as I thought it might be specific to that unit, but have had all the same issues with the second one too. Lots of unstable connection issues, MPC One will revert to internal audio if the UMC or the usb cable is touched, not knocked, touched, and then sometimes for seemingly no reason at all. And I’m getting plenty of clicks and pops the vast majority of the time both playing and recording through it. It’s definitely NOT ‘100% working’ here.
By Monotremata Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:50 pm
Dan Batts wrote:
misterflibble wrote:MPC One will revert to internal audio if the UMC or the usb cable is touched, not knocked, touched, and then sometimes for seemingly no reason at all.

If thats the case, I'd be looking at a wonky USB port in your MPC One. The UMC1820 has been the most rock solid piece of Behringer gear I've owned next to my ADA8200 and my TD-3 that had a whole cup of tea spilled on it and is still up and running. I regularly unplug/replug mine from the Live all the time, has not skipped a beat once. Just the same its my 'regular' output now, haven't used the built in outputs in ages and the thing just works.
By LivePsy Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:20 pm
Fretless wrote:Scarlett 18i20 here with a MPC One and a MPC Key 61. Very minimal pops and crackles, but still enough to be annoying if working on quieter parts of a track. Translates into recordings as well when using external gear. Tried adjusting sample rate and buffer before plugging it into the MPC, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I have a gen 2 Scarlett 18i20 and I have the exact same problem with a LIVE2 and my Windows 11 PC. They just don't work.
By Dan Batts Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:54 pm
[quote="Monotremata"If thats the case, I'd be looking at a wonky USB port in your MPC One. The UMC1820 has been the most rock solid piece of Behringer gear I've owned next to my ADA8200 and my TD-3 that had a whole cup of tea spilled on it and is still up and running. I regularly unplug/replug mine from the Live all the time, has not skipped a beat once. Just the same its my 'regular' output now, haven't used the built in outputs in ages and the thing just works.[/quote]

Yeah that’s not a bad shout. I might try and borrow a friend’s MPC and see if I get the same issues.
Do you get pops and crackles with the UMC?
By Monotremata Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:06 pm
Dan Batts wrote:Yeah that’s not a bad shout. I might try and borrow a friend’s MPC and see if I get the same issues.
Do you get pops and crackles with the UMC?

To be fair, I do NOT use it for recording. The last time I actually sampled something with the MPC i used the built in inputs. Usually if I'm sampling something as opposed to using my existing samples, that goes into the EMU to do its thing. As far as playback goes though, not a single hiccup ever. It just works basically. I dont like the fact that output 1-2 make you use the headphone/monitor knob on the front to turn them up (the rest are all controlled digitally by your device) but other than that its great. There's gotta be something up with the different devices as I've had no trouble with it whatsoever, but others do.

Although the fact that it drops when you just touch the USB cable makes me think either the Behringer or the MPC just has a bad USB port (I fix those all day long at work hah). Mines in a rack next to my desk plugged in with a 15' USB cable, and I bump and move it all the time since my hub is plugged in above it and I swap the hub to the Mac all the time to backup my synths and use MIDI Quest.
By Monotremata Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:09 pm
collargrip_cristian wrote:Yeah playback functionality is basically perfect and as-advertised. Recording not so much

I'll have to finally try that out in a couple weeks here. Our escrow closes next week so everything here at the house in all in chaos. Should be moving in a couple weeks and finally have my own studio room again, so I'll be able to bust everything out and try to sample a couple synths with it. I never use the thing for recording because my final tracking is all done in Cubase so whenever I need to actually sample something with it, I just use the built in inputs and go. Any track length stuff played by my other MIDI gear goes into the Mac instead of the MPC.
By Jockemon Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:29 am
UMC1820 works for me, until I activate ADAT to use my ADA8200 to use more inputs..

As soon as I push the ADAT/SPDIF button on the front to the ADAT position, I get cracks and pops, whether or not I have anything connected to the ADAT IN port on the back.
By Monotremata Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:24 pm
Jockemon wrote:UMC1820 works for me, until I activate ADAT to use my ADA8200 to use more inputs..

As soon as I push the ADAT/SPDIF button on the front to the ADAT position, I get cracks and pops, whether or not I have anything connected to the ADAT IN port on the back.

It does it whether there's a device on the ADAT or not?? Mines always had the button pushed in to ADAT (just checked it right now), no pops and crackles here still.. Does it only happen on the the ADA8200 ins/outs or the UMC itself? I sold my ADA8200 along with my old interface when I bought my Ferrofish last year and then a few months later, Akai put out the update that let us use interfaces of course. Now I gotta get another one someday.
By Jockemon Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:33 pm
Yeah it doesn't matter if there's anything on ADAT or not. I can have the 1820 completely on its own, only hooked up to the Force. In SPDIF it sounds good, in ADAT I get pops in uneven intervals of maybe 3-30 seconds apart. Some moments it seems to have solved itself, but then it comes back.
It happens on all inputs, both through ADA8200 and the UMC itself.

Not sure if it matters (am pretty new to this), but it only pops when I have sound coming in. As in, i can have the gain up but it won't act up until one of the attached synthesizers make sound.

I'm connecting the UMC1820 to the Force through a powered USB hub (bought one thinking it might get solve the problem, but it did not).
By Monotremata Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:54 pm
Jockemon wrote:Yeah it doesn't matter if there's anything on ADAT or not. I can have the 1820 completely on its own, only hooked up to the Force. In SPDIF it sounds good, in ADAT I get pops in uneven intervals of maybe 3-30 seconds apart. Some moments it seems to have solved itself, but then it comes back.
It happens on all inputs, both through ADA8200 and the UMC itself.

Not sure if it matters (am pretty new to this), but it only pops when I have sound coming in. As in, i can have the gain up but it won't act up until one of the attached synthesizers make sound.

I'm connecting the UMC1820 to the Force through a powered USB hub (bought one thinking it might get solve the problem, but it did not).

Not sure if the hub would matter or not. I have mine plugged directly in to the MPC 'just in case' hehe. My hub is on the other USB port and is pretty much full with synths and a sequencer/CV converter. How are you clocking the ADA8200 with the UMC?? Are you letting it clock over ADAT or with word clock?? It could be a sync error. I've had that happen even on my Mac if I clock my ADAT converters with the ADAT signal. I ran into that during a recording session with our band like 10 years ago, and went out and bought the word clock cable I'm still using today, haven't seen a sync issue between converter and interface since.