MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By vf1 Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:10 pm
Anyone using Keith Mcmillen k-mix? I'm testing out both this and the Tascam, but Tascam is buzzing & K-mix I can only get audio to route over outputs and not USB. I can confirm K-mix works without any audio distortion and is recognized by the Force

Is it possible to route the outputs over USB on the K-mix? Running external gear thru inputs & thru Force's FX, but can only select output 1/2. On Tascam you're able to select any output, even without cables plugged in to them. Options in the K-mix editor looked pretty limited, so trying to figure out what the settings should be
By Req Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:48 am
Req wrote:Is it possible to have 8-channel ADAT in and out in standalone mode on an MPC Key 61? If so, can somebody please recommend me an interface? I'd like to plug ADAT into my Hammerfall DSP/Multiface II both ways. I don't mind if it has a bit of extra I/O - I'm not trying to penny pinch for this interface, but I only really need ADAT. I assume that these interfaces don't introduce any meaningful latency in general but I do need it to be latency-free for live interaction(I already know that the Multiface ADAT is latency-free from experience). Thanks!

So I ordered the MiniDSP USBStreamer B for a very reasonable $160 shipped and it does appear to work just fine, except that I now understand that my MPC Key 61 was misbadged - it says "AKAI PROFESSIONAL" when it should just say "AKAI" - nevermind 96 or 192, it doesn't even have 48KHz sample rate support even with an external audio interface, so it is completely useless with my other audio equipment that is legitimately professional. What a bummer, I was hoping this would replace a Triton/Kronos/Nautilus as my main keyboard but it's going to sit in the graveyard with the rest of the junk. It's 2022. The $150 Sound Blaster 16 in my 386 did 44.1KHz. Pretty low bar you guys aimed for there with your $1900 keyboard in 2022. The $200 Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum in my Pentium 2 did 192KHz. Relatively speaking, these cards were both consumer junk even during their respective heydays.

For what it's worth, I would have happily paid $2500 or $3000 for a relevant product that takes itself seriously among flagship competitors. Ideally I wouldn't even be buying something external for digital I/O - My Triton ST-61 from 20 years ago has built-in SPDIF and I installed an internal ADAT I/O expansion board for example. There's a lot of potential that is notably absent within the software in general as well.
By Lancerben Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:01 pm
Dr_MIDI wrote:Zoom LiveTrak L-12 No Longer working correctly via USB after installation of Firmware 2.11.6.

I've heard (and read about) the exact same problems occurring on Focusrite and other USB Audio Interfaces.

PLEASE FIX this issue and release a revised Firmware Update for MPC Series.

I Recently got a MPC keys 61 and tried connecting my Zoom L-8 via USB. I did set L-8 to MacOS or USB class compliant mode, the MPC detects it connects to it. Send output to 7/8 but major crackle pop etc.. tried different settings 16 bit 24 bit, I am at the required 44.1 khz. I started with firmware 2.11.6 now just updated to 2.11.7 will try that soon.
By Lancerben Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:20 pm
So I really need an audio interface to work flawlessly on my new MPC keys 61. It was advertised as compatible with class compliant usb interfaces and it's clearly not compatible with many, at least on a flawless level... I tried two both have issues either with some crackling or major sound distortion and for both only one stereo channel works. I tried the valeton gp-200 which is a guitar effect module with an audio interface built in and my L-8 mixer.

I love the zoom interface so intuitive and nice to use. So I was hoping not to give it away. I was eying the model 12 tascam which has a few more control options over my zoom but I read good reports here but also some issues popping up in firmware 16.

So which audio mixer works flawlessly? The l20 is the mixer I want to upgrade to but I need to know it will work. Any other options?
By Lancerben Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:44 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:I don't get the impression that any interface works flawlessly with these machines. Or, more accurately, the other way round - the MPCs don't work completely reliably with any interfaces.

It's bloody annoying.

It seems like it. This is a major flaw and false advertisement. Also they have Bluetooth onboard yet you can't even connect a phone to run a backing track or record samples from?

I understand from a development side any new input introduces a host of possible conflict and bugs but then don't advertise these super cool features and gets everyone's hopes up.
By Blups Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:37 pm
I've spent the afternoon testing my new behringer UMC1820 on my MPC one. First, it was plugged on a the usb-hub on which several synths are plugged too. I noticed some pops, so I decided to plug the interface directly on the One.... and it wasn't recognized any more. :WTF:
After switching off the sequencer and the interface, and on again several times, in different orders, I managed the MPC to find the interface again. And no more cracks or pops.
And now I have to use standard MIDI cables to connect my synths. :? .
I m on 2.11.4. I would like to upgrade to 2.11.7 because of the MIDI note bug, but I don't want the cracks and pops to get worse. Do someone here use the 1820 with firmware 2.11.7 ?
By Lampdog Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:53 pm
Lancerben wrote:Also they have Bluetooth onboard yet you can't even connect a phone to run a backing track or record samples from?

I understand from a development side any new input introduces a host of possible conflict and bugs but then don't advertise these super cool features and gets everyone's hopes up.

This is what is in the manual. I've used BT on MPC X and have done exactly what the manual shows, ipad (BT Controller) and BT keyboard (renaming files).
Have problems with what's in the manual that the machine doesn't do (there are plenty of problems, this isn't one). Don't have problems with something that's not advertised (BT audio).

By dilingdong Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:46 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
alexone wrote:So if I understand correctly, the only way to know is to buy and test it oneself.

At the moment (2.11.6) it seems it isn't working out very well for 'any' interface, so I wouldn't buy anything until a) Akai release a supposed fix for the issues, and b) end users begin to confirm the alleged fixes are actually working.

It shouldn't be down to end users to have to keep buying and testing interfaces on the off chance that they might work. That really should be Akai's job IMO - if you are going to claim your firmware now supports third party interfaces, supply a list of interfaces that are guaranteed to work and continue to test these devices with each firmware release.

Yes I so agree! Akai should provide a list of working devices and keep them in their arsenal so that with new OS updates those devices are test and proven to work!
By UKUDO Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:49 pm
Scarlett solo 3rd gen with MPC ONE
2.11.4 works fine (stand alone, controller, even with USB hub)
2.11.5/6/7 heavy distortion in standalone mode.

Support hints that 3rd gen scarlett series is not really cc as you need focus control to get it working
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:10 am
UKUDO: you don't need the Focusrite Control application.

To access the full functionality of the device without proprietary software, MSD mode can be disabled by:

holding down the 48V button for five seconds while powering on the device

That instruction copied from: https://github.com/sadko4u/focusrite-scarlett-backports

BUT it still won't work fully glitch-free, because Akai something.

If Akai support gave you that "it's not really class-compliant" explanation, either they didn't know that trick, or they wanted to blame someone else for things not working as advertised. Or both.
By dilingdong Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:45 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:UKUDO: you don't need the Focusrite Control application.

To access the full functionality of the device without proprietary software, MSD mode can be disabled by:

holding down the 48V button for five seconds while powering on the device

That instruction copied from: https://github.com/sadko4u/focusrite-scarlett-backports

BUT it still won't work fully glitch-free, because Akai something.

If Akai support gave you that "it's not really class-compliant" explanation, either they didn't know that trick, or they wanted to blame someone else for things not working as advertised. Or both.

is this only for 3rd gen? I've got a 1st gen 6i6 and getting clicks n pops on playback.