MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ShoeHash Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:00 pm
Hey guys. I’m new to the MPC thing, and I thought I had it all figured out, but now I’ve got a weird problem that is driving me crazy.

So basically, they shipped me an MPC with a drive bay that had the screws on so tight, I shattered a plastic screwdriver trying to turn one. I managed to get 1 of the 4 out. But I cannot, at this time, install my SSD.

So, I have a 256gb SD card. It has been formatted in ExFat and it’s got a load of expansions on it.

Problem is, it keeps deleting everything I put on there. Every Akai expansion is on there, except it stops after The Vault 2.0, any synths that are on there have everything inside the folder deleted, but the folder itself remains.

Same goes for every expansion past The Vault 2.0.

So, I have some expansions that work. I can export all my expansions and they’ll all be in there and looking fine, except as soon as I eject the card everything that was newly added is gutted. Leaving only their folders, with nothing inside them.

Does anyone know what this problem is? The PC MPC software is the latest, and the firmware on the MPC itself is the 2.10 latest update.

These are instruments and packs that worked in Standalone mode previously too.

But, of course, when I hook it up as a controller, I can access these packs. I SHOULD be able to access them in standalone mode too. But their folder is all that is left and everything inside is gone by the time I plug it into the MPC.

Help???
By EnochLight Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:46 pm
ShoeHash wrote:Hey guys. I’m new to the MPC thing, and I thought I had it all figured out, but now I’ve got a weird problem that is driving me crazy.

So basically, they shipped me an MPC with a drive bay that had the screws on so tight, I shattered a plastic screwdriver trying to turn one. I managed to get 1 of the 4 out. But I cannot, at this time, install my SSD.

So, I have a 256gb SD card. It has been formatted in ExFat and it’s got a load of expansions on it.

Problem is, it keeps deleting everything I put on there. Every Akai expansion is on there, except it stops after The Vault 2.0, any synths that are on there have everything inside the folder deleted, but the folder itself remains.

Same goes for every expansion past The Vault 2.0.

So, I have some expansions that work. I can export all my expansions and they’ll all be in there and looking fine, except as soon as I eject the card everything that was newly added is gutted. Leaving only their folders, with nothing inside them.

Does anyone know what this problem is? The PC MPC software is the latest, and the firmware on the MPC itself is the 2.10 latest update.

These are instruments and packs that worked in Standalone mode previously too.

But, of course, when I hook it up as a controller, I can access these packs. I SHOULD be able to access them in standalone mode too. But their folder is all that is left and everything inside is gone by the time I plug it into the MPC.

Help???

Is this a Live, a Live II, or an X? If you can't get the bottom SATA tray off, then your unit is defective and you should send it back ASAP. There should be no amount of heavy force needed to remove those factory screws - I was able to remove them with a properly sized screw driver (though mine was metal).

Now to your real problem: are you using the MPC Software to export your Expansions? Make sure you software "eject" the SD Card from Windows (using your "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" function from your taskbar). Failure to do so will result in a corrupt data and/or file structure. Similarly, never just pull your SD Card out of your MPC when it is powered up - make sure you software "eject" it as well from your MPC's browser (obviously if it is powered down, then you can remove and insert attached storage without issue).

Finally, make sure the folder called "Expansions" is located on the root directory of your SD Card, with no special characters (MPC hates special characters in folder names, folder paths, and file names).
By ShoeHash Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:08 pm
EnochLight wrote:Is this a Live, a Live II, or an X? If you can't get the bottom SATA tray off, then your unit is defective and you should send it back ASAP. There should be no amount of heavy force needed to remove those factory screws - I was able to remove them with a properly sized screw driver (though mine was metal).

Now to your real problem: are you using the MPC Software to export your Expansions? Make sure you software "eject" the SD Card from Windows (using your "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" function from your taskbar). Failure to do so will result in a corrupt data and/or file structure. Similarly, never just pull your SD Card out of your MPC when it is powered up - make sure you software "eject" it as well from your MPC's browser (obviously if it is powered down, then you can remove and insert attached storage without issue).

Finally, make sure the folder called "Expansions" is located on the root directory of your SD Card, with no special characters (MPC hates special characters in folder names, folder paths, and file names).

Check, Check, and double check. Strangely enough I've done all those things each time. Like right now, I'm exporting about 90 gigs, my whole library. I went and made a "Synth" folder on the root, put all my synths in it, but they're all gone now.

Similarly, about 17 packs that were previously installed have been removed. Only their folder is there.

This one is really throwing me for a loop. I've been using the MPC software. I reset my Live 2. I tried uninstalling everything and starting again. It's pretty damned awful. I did just remember I haven't registered with iLOK so I'm going to do that and see if the problem isn't fixed.

I am a computer Nerd. I stopped being into the hobby during Windows 8. I couldn't afford a computer, and di not have internet. 2 years were like that, so I don't know Win 10 as well as I want. But some things you don't forget.
By SakisX Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:01 pm
After you transfer the files and safely remove the card , plug it in again to double check that they are actually copied .
Maybe you could try disabling write caching for the card on device manager
By EnochLight Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:59 pm
ShoeHash wrote:Check, Check, and double check. Strangely enough I've done all those things each time. Like right now, I'm exporting about 90 gigs, my whole library. I went and made a "Synth" folder on the root, put all my synths in it, but they're all gone now.

Similarly, about 17 packs that were previously installed have been removed. Only their folder is there.

This one is really throwing me for a loop. I've been using the MPC software. I reset my Live 2. I tried uninstalling everything and starting again. It's pretty damned awful. I did just remember I haven't registered with iLOK so I'm going to do that and see if the problem isn't fixed.

I am a computer Nerd. I stopped being into the hobby during Windows 8. I couldn't afford a computer, and di not have internet. 2 years were like that, so I don't know Win 10 as well as I want. But some things you don't forget.

Yeah, I'd also try disabling write caching for the SD Card. It's also very possible you have a defective SD Card. You're sure it's formatted in ExFAT? After you copy your data to it on your PC, once you eject it and put it back into your PC, is the data still there? Are you using an SD card reader for your PC, or are you using your MPC in Controller Mode for that?