MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Straker Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 pm
jpeg wrote:
jvbulman wrote:Really loving the Odyssey synth too; adds a nice bit of funk to my House/Techno dabblings. Still finding a lot of uses for TubeSynth, too - people are dismissing it as cold/digital, but there's a definite place for that sound too!

If anything the addition of Odyssey has totally murdered Bassline for me...

in my view from the old synths; electric was decent and the drum synth.

in the new batch Odessey and Hype are the standouts but Hypes presets aint that great

Who cares about presets?
They are just a starting point.
I am quite surprised how flexible is Hype, it has some very decent pianos, much better then Electric, very convincing.
And you have plenty of oscillators to choose and tweak, also bass sounds are good.
I think Hype is the best Air synth on Mpc and it covers also the other synths- tubesynth, electric, bass synth- so I think it will be my first choice.
Then you have solina for strings and mellotron for retro tape sounds and odyssey when you want to experiment and freak out.
Excellent job.
Looking forward to seeing 3rd party soft synths in future Mpc, it looks like it's possible now.
By jpeg Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:23 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:A deal with TAL would be nice!

yeah i think they have a decent juno emulation as well as a jupiter; and it seems that akai leans towards the small name vsts for integrating into the mpc so tal seem a good fit.

for the moog emulation i think Cherry Audio Memorymode would go down nice on the mpc platform
By Straker Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:33 pm
jpeg wrote:
Zack Zerox wrote:A deal with TAL would be nice!

yeah i think they have a decent juno emulation as well as a jupiter; and it seems that akai leans towards the small name vsts for integrating into the mpc so tal seem a good fit.

for the moog emulation i think Cherry Audio Memorymode would go down nice on the mpc platform

A Juno and a Moog would be fantastic.
By jpeg Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:54 pm
Straker wrote:A Juno and a Moog would be fantastic.

yup those two synths are the pillars of modern synth sounds as relates to so much dance music so it would make sense to have them represented here.

i still think they need a classic rompler sounds such as roland jv or korg like a triton or even some of those old emu/proteus sounds
By NearTao Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:03 pm
While they do have a nice selection of FX, they are missing some key things that would get them into Rompler territory...

A few things that come to mind...
* 8 Band Graphic Equalizer
* Amp/Cabinet simulator
* Piano Mic/Body simulator
* Tremelo/Wah/Phaser/Ring Mod

Sure the MPC has most of these, so it'd probably be possible to create some chains, but the Triton and Roland allows for multiple routing options for FX, which is not something you get to easily with the MPC. I imagine it'd probably be possible to get the whole Triton Rom/Sample set... it's something like 256mb, and port over a number of the patches given enough time and interest for somebody to do it... or you know... just auto sample the majority of it. Biggest problem with auto sampling though is the minimum of one second for a note press gate, they do need to make this lower.
By Straker Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:41 pm
NearTao wrote:While they do have a nice selection of FX, they are missing some key things that would get them into Rompler territory...

A few things that come to mind...
* 8 Band Graphic Equalizer
* Amp/Cabinet simulator
* Piano Mic/Body simulator
* Tremelo/Wah/Phaser/Ring Mod

Sure the MPC has most of these, so it'd probably be possible to create some chains, but the Triton and Roland allows for multiple routing options for FX, which is not something you get to easily with the MPC. I imagine it'd probably be possible to get the whole Triton Rom/Sample set... it's something like 256mb, and port over a number of the patches given enough time and interest for somebody to do it... or you know... just auto sample the majority of it. Biggest problem with auto sampling though is the minimum of one second for a note press gate, they do need to make this lower.

The problem could also be cpu.
At the end we must not forget that we are dealing with a limited cpu.
If you look at new plugins, for example, they take more cpu then previous Air ones.
Actually I am impressed that such cpu handles all keygroups, synths, fx, samples, audio tracks, all at 32bit.
They definitely made a great job with optimization for sure.
Do you guys use autosample a lot?
I really find it too slow and cumbersome, I tried once but then never again.
I am a lazy guy.
By NearTao Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:03 pm
I doubt it is a CPU issue, the old Triton Rompler had an anemic amount of memory and CPU... 20 years is a huge difference in computing power. I also suspect that the Akai mindset is "get them to buy expansions, it's basically like a Rompler". It'll take somebody at Akai wanting to go down the Rompler path or seeing value in it outside of what they've created though... so who knows. Sure it'd be cool to have 1k-10k sounds to mess with in some ways... but then it doesn't differentiate itself so much from Korg/Roland/Yamaha.

I like using auto sampler, but I also have a fair amount of external gear, that I don't always want to keep hooked up forever, or want to be able to work out some basics on the Live without needing to have everything on so I can get stuff sketched out, and then work it more later.

Plus... sometimes I want that sampled/chopped sound for something, so auto sampling and then using a tight ADSR can get you some sounds you might not be able to do on the original hardware.
By Straker Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:05 am
NearTao wrote:I doubt it is a CPU issue, the old Triton Rompler had an anemic amount of memory and CPU... 20 years is a huge difference in computing power. I also suspect that the Akai mindset is "get them to buy expansions, it's basically like a Rompler". It'll take somebody at Akai wanting to go down the Rompler path or seeing value in it outside of what they've created though... so who knows. Sure it'd be cool to have 1k-10k sounds to mess with in some ways... but then it doesn't differentiate itself so much from Korg/Roland/Yamaha.

I like using auto sampler, but I also have a fair amount of external gear, that I don't always want to keep hooked up forever, or want to be able to work out some basics on the Live without needing to have everything on so I can get stuff sketched out, and then work it more later.

Plus... sometimes I want that sampled/chopped sound for something, so auto sampling and then using a tight ADSR can get you some sounds you might not be able to do on the original hardware.

Yeah I use chop a lot, it's one of the main reason I bought Mpc.
Mostly I use chop, Air filter gate and now the new Stutter and Granular.
That's the things I like the most on Mpc.
You can start from any sample, sometimes I even use just a sample or a field recording, and make many rythmic or granular sounds out of it.
What you say about autosampler makes a lot of sense, I also have external symths and autosampler could save me from brimging them when I play live.
It's just it's a sloooow process and I should be less lazy.
By jpeg Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:26 pm
NearTao wrote: I imagine it'd probably be possible to get the whole Triton Rom/Sample set... it's something like 256mb, and port over a number of the patches given enough time and interest for somebody to do it... or you know... just auto sample the majority of it. Biggest problem with auto sampling though is the minimum of one second for a note press gate, they do need to make this lower.

its all already been done they simply need to port the triton vst onto the MPC platform
By Moran Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:59 pm
jpeg wrote:
Smackdee wrote:It is definitely my fav of the bunch, dirty and vintage sounding but I also feel this comes down to personal preference... I do remember those way out ware vst's from back in the day, they was crazy good but big CPU hogs and the fact that Akai/way out ware have managed to squeeze it into the MP is really fn cool!!!!!!!!

for those of us that are mixing samples with synth tones the Odyssey really fits the bill better then almost any vst I can think of currently, I truly hope akai continues along this path, all those old cpu hungry vsts are easy work for todays cpu's

This is very true. Version 2.10 is a great leap foward that has suddenly made my MPC Ren +MPC 2. DAW the centre of my "inspiration sound library". All of these new instruments, and Easy to visualise interface makes the MPC platform a very efficient way of exploring sound and creating music.... This appears to have been worth the wait as a system upgrade. Akai's probably finally got it's groove back! :-)

Awesome sound engines: Fresh/Relevant/HiDefinition Textrures
By ace_of_dub Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:47 pm
Not sure why people are hating on Tubesynth like that much. I doesn't sound worst than a $400 Microkorg yet people are still paying half the price of a MPC One for the latter.

More like people didn't take the time to learn how to program it and just went through the preset. Of course you ain't going to like them.

Tubesynth can do most of the bread and butter substractive sounds and you wouldn't even tell the difference in a recording.
By jpeg Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:46 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:Not sure why people are hating on Tubesynth like that much. I doesn't sound worst than a $400 Microkorg yet people are still paying half the price of a MPC One for the latter.

More like people didn't take the time to learn how to program it and just went through the preset. Of course you ain't going to like them.

Tubesynth can do most of the bread and butter substractive sounds and you wouldn't even tell the difference in a recording.

Tubesynth is very deserving of the critique as its very lackluster and generic; it sounds like every dime a dozen vst synth no unique tone or color to its sound; its jut sub par in so many categories.

Its a very flat cold sounding tonally so even if u program it that ur still gonna have that same sterile sound
By ace_of_dub Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:20 pm
jpeg wrote:
Tubesynth is very deserving of the critique as its very lackluster and generic; it sounds like every dime a dozen vst synth no unique tone or color to its sound; its jut sub par in so many categories.

Compared to what? As I said, A Microkorg or even a Nord Lead doesn't sound better than Tube Synth. What are people expecting here? Serum or something? There is absolutely no problem with what Tubesynth does, it just require the proper knowledge for patch design, nothing more.
By jpeg Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:
Compared to what? As I said, A Microkorg or even a Nord Lead doesn't sound better than Tube Synth. What are people expecting here? Serum or something? There is absolutely no problem with what Tubesynth does, it just require the proper knowledge for patch design, nothing more.

Tubesynth absolutely does not sound as good as the Microkorg; the Korg has tonal character and sonic depth and better sounding fx and filters and better sounding default waveform.

I cannot speak on the Nord Lead; as am not as familiar with its sound.
By ace_of_dub Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:21 pm
jpeg wrote:
ace_of_dub wrote:

Tubesynth absolutely does not sound as good as the Microkorg; the Korg has tonal character and sonic depth and better sounding fx and filters and better sounding default waveform.

I cannot speak on the Nord Lead; as am not as familiar with its sound.

Obviously this is false, let's start with the aliasing, while Tubesynth produces very little aliasing, the obviously, due to inferior convertors and inferior internal oversampling rate, produces an excessive amount of aliasing, which is a fact you can't deny. Let us be reminded what aliasing is:

"Aliasing is an audible side effect arising in digital systems as soon as a signal contains harmonics
higher than half the sampling frequency. "

As for the effects on the Microkorg they are just pathetic. Tubesynth has a superior VA engine, objectively.

While there are obviously better plugins out there, let's not pretend devices like the Microkorg or the Mininova( and the Circuit) sound better than Tubesynth. That's false.

But ultimately it's far easier to blame the quality of the synth engine instead of someone's lack of programming skills.