MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:51 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Timewarp 2600 regularly sells for $10 these days, including by Akai. I had assumed that inMusic must have bought wayoutware, especially as they now link directly to Sonivox for purchases from the wayoutware site. Wouldn't surprise me if we see Timewarp in standalone eventually, it's a really small package (20MB) so could probably be incorporated into the firmware.

Timewarp would be a very welcome addition; the MPC has become something really special with this update
By Monotremata Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:41 am
jpeg wrote:it may be simple but people like to over complicate things in they own thinking; in todays CPU power alot can be achieved

Yeah except for the fact these aren't 'todays cpus'. Don't get me wrong, Akai has done a hell of a job packing what they have into this box, but this isn't your off the shelf Intel or AMD chip. Its a Rockchip Linux SoC that's usually used in things like media players and appliances. These aren't desktop or even mobile chips, not even close, and there is no upgrading anything on the board aside from the 'hard drive' the internal filesystem lives on.
By SuperKonquer Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 am
The first prototype shown publicly of the MPCX was running a version of windows. It was touted as being the future of advanced musical hardware. I'm sure at one point Akai were planning on "modern cpu and boards" but somewhere down the line decided using the rockchip platform was a more profitable endeavor. I think the price demanded by Microsoft was too high so Akai went with a more economical solution.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:40 am
The windows MPC was nothing but a quick thing they put together for some seminar, it was just a visual concept to show how a standalone mpc could look. I believe it was literally an MPC ren with a Windows tablet bolted on running the standard desktop MPC software. I don't think they ever pursued the windows embedded idea at all.
By BoxBeater Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:16 am
I agree with OP. I would use tubesynth to make basic VA sounds like filter bleeps and simple basses. Odyssey does these sounds way nicer. Things are labelled slightly differently to most synths, and I'm finding it really fun making sounds.

Hype will be pretty useless for me, I think it's Akai's version of Nexus. Lots of wasted space in the GUI for nonsense like the hype section. What would have been a lot more useful is extra envelopes and LFO's, modulation matrix to make this a more complex synth.

I prefer Akai's effects to Air's effects, and would love Akai to have a go at making it's own synth plugins instead of Air making them. Akai's effects provide a certain sound of the 90's and I love them for the music I make.
By Neurone Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:18 am
Sylenth please
By jpeg Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:21 pm
BoxBeater wrote:I agree with OP. I would use tubesynth to make basic VA sounds like filter bleeps and simple basses. Odyssey does these sounds way nicer. Things are labelled slightly differently to most synths, and I'm finding it really fun making sounds.

Hype will be pretty useless for me, I think it's Akai's version of Nexus. Lots of wasted space in the GUI for nonsense like the hype section. What would have been a lot more useful is extra envelopes and LFO's, modulation matrix to make this a more complex synth.

I prefer Akai's effects to Air's effects, and would love Akai to have a go at making it's own synth plugins instead of Air making them. Akai's effects provide a certain sound of the 90's and I love them for the music I make.

I dunno how u even got much use out of tubesynth that thing sounded so dead; very cold and sterile sound, it sounded like every other dime a dozen vst out there.

I need to explore Hype some more it seems very rich sounding but am not sure how those sounds will work in the mix; but hopefully people come out with replacement expansion sounds and preset for all these synths but with genre specific sound packs; like we need a house sound pack, a hip hop sound pack, etc.

cos maybe all the synths are good but we just need tailored sound cos the bread an butter approach dont work no more people want custom shit
By jvbulman Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 pm
Really loving the Odyssey synth too; adds a nice bit of funk to my House/Techno dabblings. Still finding a lot of uses for TubeSynth, too - people are dismissing it as cold/digital, but there's a definite place for that sound too!

If anything the addition of Odyssey has totally murdered Bassline for me...
By jpeg Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:08 pm
jvbulman wrote:Really loving the Odyssey synth too; adds a nice bit of funk to my House/Techno dabblings. Still finding a lot of uses for TubeSynth, too - people are dismissing it as cold/digital, but there's a definite place for that sound too!

If anything the addition of Odyssey has totally murdered Bassline for me...

in my view from the old synths; electric was decent and the drum synth.

in the new batch Odessey and Hype are the standouts but Hypes presets aint that great
By jpeg Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:09 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Timewarp 2600 regularly sells for $10 these days, including by Akai. I had assumed that inMusic must have bought wayoutware, especially as they now link directly to Sonivox for purchases from the wayoutware site. Wouldn't surprise me if we see Timewarp in standalone eventually, it's a really small package (20MB) so could probably be incorporated into the firmware.

after checking time-warp vids on youtube it dont sound too good so glad we got Odessey
By Straker Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:30 pm
I agree.
Actually I never liked Tubesynth and I am loving this Odyssey, if it's faithful or not it doesn't matter to me.
And Odyssey also replaces Bass Synth for me, which was always out of tune.
Odyssey bass sounds are excellent.