MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:22 pm
Odyssey has been licensed from WayOutWare; could this be a new trend where Akai approach software developers and get them to create a version for the akai standalone?

If so who should they go to next? cos I wanna see a Moog emulation on the MPC and of course a Juno.

Tube synth was a generic EDM vst yes it was easy to program but very cold and digital sounding; whereas this ARP emulation has a very pleasing tone and when you start to tweak it quickly becomes apparent that the synth has really captured that analog vibe and dare a say warmth of the analogue circuits is modeled pretty convincingly.

An this is level of modelling is what I was expecting from Akai's sp1200 and the mpc60 emulations they previously championed but failed miserably to recreate.
By EnochLight Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:46 pm
jpeg wrote:Odyssey has been licensed from WayOutWare; could this be a new trend where Akai approach software developers and get them to create a version for the akai standalone?

If so who should they go to next? cos I wanna see a Moog emulation on the MPC and of course a Juno.

Tube synth was a generic EDM vst yes it was easy to program but very cold and digital sounding; whereas this ARP emulation has a very pleasing tone and when you start to tweak it quickly becomes apparent that the synth has really captured that analog vibe and dare a say warmth of the analogue circuits is modeled pretty convincingly.

An this is level of modelling is what I was expecting from Akai's sp1200 and the mpc60 emulations they previously championed but failed miserably to recreate.

Honestly, on the surface - at first Odyssey seems to come off as the least interesting of the bunch... until you start tweaking those sliders. HOLY. CRAP. I agree - it can sound absolutely astounding and is a testament to the MPC platform in standalone. I usually go straight to the FX presets and start tweaking from there - just some incredible sounds.

Have no idea if this will be a trend going forward - it's not like WayOutWare were doing anything relevant the past decade, so maybe it was easy (read: cheap) to license. It's also extremely light weight, since it's probably based on an over 15 year old plugin, and can easily run on MPC's cpu (I'm assuming it was mined from similar modelling used in WayOutWare's TimewARP 2600 released in 2006)?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/wa ... ewarp-2600

They don't have an Odyssey plugin, to my knowledge, but they do still sell TimeWARP 2600 direct for $99 USD! That makes getting Odyssey in 2.10 for free an even more amazing addition.
By Smackdee Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:50 pm
It is definitely my fav of the bunch, dirty and vintage sounding but I also feel this comes down to personal preference... I do remember those way out ware vst's from back in the day, they was crazy good but big CPU hogs and the fact that Akai/way out ware have managed to squeeze it into the MP is really fn cool!!!!!!!!
By Ultros Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:06 pm
I dig em ALL! im just stoked to have more virtual synths finally. I'll find a way to put em all to use.
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:07 pm
Smackdee wrote:It is definitely my fav of the bunch, dirty and vintage sounding but I also feel this comes down to personal preference... I do remember those way out ware vst's from back in the day, they was crazy good but big CPU hogs and the fact that Akai/way out ware have managed to squeeze it into the MP is really fn cool!!!!!!!!

for those of us that are mixing samples with synth tones the Odyssey really fits the bill better then almost any vst I can think of currently, I truly hope akai continues along this path, all those old cpu hungry vsts are easy work for todays cpu's
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:10 pm
Ultros wrote:I dig em ALL! im just stoked to have more virtual synths finally. I'll find a way to put em all to use.

am not overly impressed with string machine or the mellotron (sounds very sample tank ish)

Hype synth has lush sounds but presets splashed in reverb n delay; id like to get some hiphop and house related presets for hype.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:14 pm
Timewarp 2600 regularly sells for $10 these days, including by Akai. I had assumed that inMusic must have bought wayoutware, especially as they now link directly to Sonivox for purchases from the wayoutware site. Wouldn't surprise me if we see Timewarp in standalone eventually, it's a really small package (20MB) so could probably be incorporated into the firmware.
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:28 pm
EnochLight wrote:
jpeg wrote:Odyssey has been licensed from WayOutWare; could this be a new trend where Akai approach software developers and get them to create a version for the akai standalone?

Honestly, on the surface - at first Odyssey seems to come off as the least interesting of the bunch... until you start tweaking those sliders. HOLY. CRAP. I agree - it can sound absolutely astounding and is a testament to the MPC platform in standalone. I usually go straight to the FX presets and start tweaking from there - just some incredible sounds.

Have no idea if this will be a trend going forward - it's not like WayOutWare were doing anything relevant the past decade, so maybe it was easy (read: cheap) to license. It's also extremely light weight, since it's probably based on an over 15 year old plugin, and can easily run on MPC's cpu (I'm assuming it was mined from similar modelling used in WayOutWare's TimewARP 2600 released in 2006)?

The WayOutWare website looks like it was made in the early 2000's; real life timewarp

I dont get how they got the Akai hook up; cos they are not relevant at all in the current vst world, so would like to hear the rational on why Akai went to them of all people, but the sound is good so its a win.

The wider point is that this shows that 3rd part plugins ARE viable in stand alone.

I recall people claiming it was impossible for vsts to run in stand alone; all these naysayers had all these technical reasons why it could not be done.

People said they dont want instruments in a sampler they want Akai to focus on"fixing" the software (ie make sure all legacy features from previous MPCs were present)

people said "I dont want my MPC to be a DAW" & " i dont want built in instruments", etc, etc , some jokers
Last edited by jpeg on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ultros Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:33 pm
the mpc was never "just a sampler" though. before it was "midi production center" and now its the "music production center" it seems only hip hop heads see it's primary function as a sampler but it's always been much more than that. Sampling and choppong is just a primitive use of the box.
By EnochLight Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:39 pm
jpeg wrote:yeah I went to the WayOutWare website they website look like it was made in the early 2000's so defo a time warp there ironically. but I dont get how they got the Akai hook up

I think MPC-Tutor is right on the money: InMusic/Akai probably bought WayOutWare, or at least are their exclusive distributor.

jpeg wrote:As said this shows that 3rd part plugins can run in stand alone so in theory the gates of hell have been opened.

I'm pretty sure it's still not as simple as that - WayOutWare's Odyssey is very likely that 15 year old modelling from their 2600. It's light by today's standards, dsp-wise. Porting things to MPC/Force standalone still requires some intense optimization and limits, and is probably no walk in the park. But the fact that we got 3 brand new synths on top of Hype all at once does suggest they can crank them out if they have access to stuff that runs light enough on the MPC/Force cpu, for sure. Here's to hoping that it's just the beginning! :mrgreen:
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:41 pm
Ultros wrote:the mpc was never "just a sampler" though. before it was "midi production center" and now its the "music production center" it seems only hip hop heads see it's primary function as a sampler but it's always been much more than that. Sampling and choppong is just a primitive use of the box.

I get that but people spoke against developing new features on the MPC; they would always make the point that "my 20 year old MPC4k; can do XYX; so why cant Akai focus on fixing it to replicate the old machine"

very backwards thinking whose is to say all old features are needed in this modern era? and why would these same people seek to obstruct the idea of adding instruments and new features to the MPC.
By EnochLight Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:46 pm
jpeg wrote:very backwards thinking whose is to say all old features are needed in this modern era? and why would these same people seek to obstruct the idea of adding instruments and new features to the MPC.

Well, thankfully Akai listened to us both, because we got some long over-due sampler improvements as well as some awesome new standalone instruments and effects plugins! :lol: I'm seriously so stoked with my MPC Live II with 2.10 that a friend of mine who has been on the fence just went out and bought one because of my raving fanboy texts over the past 6 days. 2.10 is seriously a game changer!
By Ultros Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:23 pm
I have no argument lol im in total agreement. I'm fkn stoked with all this new sheeeyit!
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:38 pm
EnochLight wrote:
jpeg wrote:very backwards thinking whose is to say all old features are needed in this modern era? and why would these same people seek to obstruct the idea of adding instruments and new features to the MPC.

Well, thankfully Akai listened to us both, because we got some long over-due sampler improvements as well as some awesome new standalone instruments and effects plugins! :lol: I'm seriously so stoked with my MPC Live II with 2.10 that a friend of mine who has been on the fence just went out and bought one because of my raving fanboy texts over the past 6 days. 2.10 is seriously a game changer!

agree it is; it feels like this should of been the 3.0 release; so that lets u know they got something "Le Big" lined up for 3.0; which great that Akai is showing ambition and vision in developing the MPC platform.

at this point we have to start talking about these current MPC's being the best ever MPC's

but who knows whats due in 3.0? could be the new mixer like the force and the linear arranger that people have been asking for.

Imagine Akai did a deal with Korg and put the dam Triton in there; my goodness that would be a crazy ill move, I can see them licensing them old Korg LEGACY synths, that would be sick as well.

or some of them Roland modules or cloud synths running standalone in the MPC

nuff keyboards and hardware will be cheap on ebay if Akai do that.
By jpeg Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:44 pm
EnochLight wrote:
jpeg wrote:yeah I went to the WayOutWare website they website look like it was made in the early 2000's so defo a time warp there ironically. but I dont get how they got the Akai hook up

I think MPC-Tutor is right on the money: InMusic/Akai probably bought WayOutWare, or at least are their exclusive distributor.

jpeg wrote:As said this shows that 3rd part plugins can run in stand alone so in theory the gates of hell have been opened.

I'm pretty sure it's still not as simple as that - WayOutWare's Odyssey is very likely that 15 year old modelling from their 2600. It's light by today's standards, dsp-wise. Porting things to MPC/Force standalone still requires some intense optimization and limits, and is probably no walk in the park. But the fact that we got 3 brand new synths on top of Hype all at once does suggest they can crank them out if they have access to stuff that runs light enough on the MPC/Force cpu, for sure. Here's to hoping that it's just the beginning! :mrgreen:

it may be simple but people like to over complicate things in they own thinking; in todays CPU power alot can be achieved