MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mpace Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 pm
What's up Forum!?

I feel like this is going to be a stupid question. But I haven't found the answer anywhere yet. Roast me if you want but gimme an aswer pleaase!!;)

----------Can someone please tell me if the MPCs by 2.10 are capable of acting as sequencer/ controller through the virtual MIDI ports (MPC Live 2 Public/ Private) e.g. communicating with any MIDI capable software in your Mac? ---------Long story short. Had the 4000, Ren, the X and now the live2. I maybe mistaken, but I am pretty sure that I was able to use the pads to TRIGGER and the MPC sequences to PLAYBACK whatever MIDI capable software I threw at all of them, at least by using a USB MIDI device!!?? --------

just answer this please, if you don't want to read the rest;)

Not too sure though, because I started using VSTs in the MPC software for a few years but was always restricted by CPU problems using more then 3 plugins, even with VIP. Maybe I am just remembering wet dreams before that time.

Since the REN I was always using the MPC software, never used it as VST. (hated that workflow). STandalone too restricted. I need the Audios for guitars etc.

So I am not talking standalone mode. I want to use the software AND external? VSTs, trigger/sequence them and send Audio back to MPC sampler. That simple. Why?

Because I am mad at AKAI for having all these software updates planned knowing that the provided CPU will never be able to accomodate them, to secure sales for the next gen. Sorry AKAI just my POV. That's why I sold the X. DIfferent topic though.

I want to use my own DSP. MPC software loaded plugins crash the software if more than 3 are used. It has alwys been that way. Suggesting (back then) that it's only your MAC that's limiting is not true. The way the software works, DOES NOT completly outsource DSP to your PC. If I am wrong about this too, roast me again;)

With the live2 (returned for an exchange unit already) and 2.10, I can't trigger anything but DIRECT MIDI (using MIDI cables) in my MAC, not even logic???

If i connect an Arturia keystep (all controllers are alwys recognized by MPC pref. and DAW) as usable ports.

I can trigger everything from a connected controller if I set whatever software to an OMNI/ ALL input. I can record the sequence (into the MPC), but playing it back with the MPC doesn't work with any of the ports.

Tried (MPC Live II Public) , created IAC ports (causing feedback loops however I set them) etc.

And I mean I trigger the DAW with an Arturia controller with the MPC!!! LIVE II PUBLIC PORT SELECTED not the dedicated ARTURIA one!!! So signal is going through the MPC to the MAC.

Logic even shows a MPC LIVE II PRIVATE PORT which is not shown in the MPC preferences. AKAI MIDI NETWORK is also available for some VSTs but not selectable in the MPC prefs. Like I said it's already an exchange unit.

No Midi signal whatsover. Whatever is connected to the MPC as controller (Advance, Console 1 etc.) can trigger the MPC and through the MPC any software BUT THE MPC ITSELF DOESN'T PLAYBACK NOR DO THE PADS TRIGGER ANYTHING!!

Concerning USB MIDI PORTS I even have the Unitor AMT8 (industry standard right?). No device has ever not recognized this thing. MPC shows all 8 MIDI INS wether something is connected or not, But only 1 sometimes 2 MIDI OUTS, which are the ones I have analog outboard connected to (coincedence maybe).

My fault? Wrong MAC settings, me just being a dumbass? batch screwed? (exchange unit from same batch, I know the store). Mad producer should be serving burgers?

At least explain to me what that MPC LIVE II PUBLIC PORT is to be used for if not sequencing external VSTs or DAWs???
By mpace Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:03 pm
I guess my question was stupid or I come across as brain fartin or liking to hear myself...sorry if that is the case

still weird that I got more responses from the AKAI support (even though they don't know) than from this forum.

I searched this forum now for a few days. All I found was this quote:

The MPC does not send midi over usb (at this time) in stand alone mode.

But still I am asking about controller mode.

What is this MPC LIVE II PUBLIC PORT for?

If it can't send MIDI through USB what does it do?

Is anybody out there who can confirm that there used to be a way to:

SEND MIDI from MPC PADS and MPC PLAYBACK to ANY MIDI capable software on your PC while in software mode?

Or through a MIDI port such as AMT Unitor via MIDI CABLE and from the device as USB signal to PC?

Don't want to answer...cool...but you could at least post the link to where this was talked about if I really did oversee it.

post a fkn middlefinger with it if you want to..roast me ...said that before...no answer after 5 days...

feels like when I'm calling for a cab ;)))
By MikeNizo808 Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:57 pm
mpace wrote:Can someone please tell me if the MPCs by 2.10 are capable of acting as sequencer/ controller through the virtual MIDI ports (MPC Live 2 Public/ Private)

The short answer is no.

If you want perfect sync in "Controller" mode, attach the USB cable and let Akai handle the sync (no DAW options required, other than running the plugin).

The scenario you describe though, you should use five-pin MIDI DIN (i.e. mioXC or Roland UM-One, etc.). So, disconnect the Akai-provided USB cable. Then, Simply connect the 5-pin DIN from your laptop to the MPC.

For your setup, you will be in "Stand-alone", but with MIDI control. Here's how:

1. Set the options on the MPC hardware at "Menu > Gear Icon > MIDI/SYNC" (i.e. choose your interfaces and select MIDI Clock for Send and Receive). You can also name your interfaces which is helpful.

On your DAW (Logic Pro), you need to tell it to talk to the MPC over MIDI Clock. This is a per project setting, but can be added to your Logic template.

File > Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI

Check out my full post on this topic (written for 2.9.1 but no changes with 2.10 in this regard).

Forum Post:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211510

PS - By Akai-provided cable, I mean the chunky USB B to A cable. These are only used in "Controller" mode (i.e. to run the MPC "Desktop" application or DAW "Plugin".

MPC X (blue cable, blue tip)
MPC Live (blue cable, blue tip)
MPC One (Black cable, white tip). This is only high speed, compared to the other MPCs, ouch.
By Monotremata Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:12 pm
As said, USB only works in controller mode. Otherwise you need a USB to ethernet adapter and you need to use the Akai Network MIDI app. Then you can send and receive MIDI over ethernet to the "Remote" input and output in the MIDI setup. If you're on a Mac running Big Sur, good luck with that until Akai fixes it. Works up to 11.1 or 11.2 and after that one of the updates broke it. It doesnt have a GUI anymore but it was still connecting and working up until Big Sur broke it altogether.
By Methlab Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:52 pm
Monotremata wrote:As said, USB only works in controller mode. Otherwise you need a USB to ethernet adapter and you need to use the Akai Network MIDI app. Then you can send and receive MIDI over ethernet to the "Remote" input and output in the MIDI setup. If you're on a Mac running Big Sur, good luck with that until Akai fixes it. Works up to 11.1 or 11.2 and after that one of the updates broke it. It doesnt have a GUI anymore but it was still connecting and working up until Big Sur broke it altogether.

I do this on windows 10 using an ethernet cable, and the MPC connects perfectly to Ableton 11 and can control plugins and trigger clips. The only issue I have is i can't use any of my other MIDI devices now, like my USB keyboard controller.

Any idea how to fix that so I can use both?
By Monotremata Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:18 pm
Methlab wrote:I do this on windows 10 using an ethernet cable, and the MPC connects perfectly to Ableton 11 and can control plugins and trigger clips. The only issue I have is i can't use any of my other MIDI devices now, like my USB keyboard controller.

Any idea how to fix that so I can use both?

No idea, everything works fine over here. Maybe the hub is running out of bandwidth or power? I use the RSHTech hubs that the guys from Akai always use in their demo videos, no trouble with those things, have three now.

Now that Akai updated the Network MIDI driver for MacOS, mine is 100% running again. With the MPC in standalone mode, the MPC still operates as it always does with all my synths/midi interface/audio interface connected, and just syncs to Logic when I hit play in the DAW. Haven't run into anything not working on the MPC yet. The Remote port on the MPC itself can even go back in and will play the track you have selected in Logic Pro from the MPC (the MIDI input works the same was as the MPC there, on the selected track).