MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Straker Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:47 pm
Ibunshi wrote:About some of these synths.. For me, both TubeSynth and that 'bass' whatever it is called, is a waste of space on my MPC..

I also agree that TubeSynth sounds very cold and digital as is..

But not only do we have plugins on the MPC to counter that, but you could send TubeSynth through some analog outboard gear, like Analog Heat, to give it some nice warmth + this gives you far more control of just how that is going to sound, compared something that just has it as an unavoidable default..

And you can layer all these synths, and if you are doing pads for example, you can create really intricate, complex stuff.. so it's not as if there's no potential..

But one thing I wish were possible for all these synths, is for there to be a built in option to double up the synth, so that you've got up to 8 instances of the same thing without having to go through the hassle of layering afterwards..

This would really boost the efficiencyof sound design, because you hear the changes instantly by the press of a pad, as you tweak, because it's all triggered simultaneously..

And there may be a faster way, I have not really looked into this.. But the way I do it currently is to record whatever it is, then copy that track and swap plugin to have the same thing played by different synths, and then go to tweak..

But yeah, it's not particularly as fast and efficient as when you simply change oscillators within a synth. . And being able to double up right inside the plugin would bring that efficiency.

That's the good thing about Mpc, you have different options, keygroups, plugins, you can sample them, chop them, put fx and so on.
So even a Tubesynth, that I never liked, can be a starting point for something else, as you said you can also route its output to outboard gears.
Odyssey sounds digital to your ears? Add some grit, some Air fx or an Analog Heat, pass it through some analog delay and so on.
So for me nothing is wasted space on Mpc.
And since they are starting to put datas on ssd or hd or sd card, that opens up to more synths and solutions in the future.
If you don't put datas on OS, how much space are these new synths taking on OS?
I guess MB.
By the way, the more I go deeper on Hype, the less I will use heavy keygroups like vibraphone, EP, grand piano and more.
Same for strings, you have very good ones on Solina but also on Hype there are lovely and rich strings.
I really like this attitude.
I think I will sell my 707 and 101, I bought them as preset machines but Hype has what I was using on them.
So for me Akai is doing the best thing.
And perfection would be to open the platform to 3d party plugins, like rack extensions on Reason.
You choose, you buy for a good price (like 20 dollars or so), you put datas on ssd and here you go.
By Ibunshi Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:37 pm
Straker wrote:... And perfection would be to open the platform to 3d party plugins, like rack extensions on Reason.
You choose, you buy for a good price (like 20 dollars or so), you put datas on ssd and here you go.

Exactly, I brought this up on a different forum.. And akai could even turn a bit of profit from setting up an official MPC plugin store for 3rd party developers to sell plugins.

And if they did this, they could set things up so that when you take updates, you can select if you want any additional plugins..

This way you can remove anything you don't like or won't use, to keep it from cluttering up your menus when trying to get to what you do want.

Vst developers could aldu :fku: build some tool to convert simpler plugins into something that works on the MPC.. And there should be plenty that would work on an MPC.

This would keep the mpc hype alive, even without Akai doing anything, for the same reason people are still going nuts over old games like Skyrim, because there's a way for gamers to get what they want without the game developer doing anything..

It would sell some more units, because there's a potential to get what you want without depending on Akai to maybe getting around to do it.. And you can probably forget it if its not in high demand.

And after some time, when that MPC plugin shop has grown a bit, those units are going to be looking even more attractive to newcomers and people who have been on the fence..

But it's pure speculation.. Don't know what it would take, or if doing this would introduce an inescapable risk of bricking your mpc by installing the wrong plugin.
By Straker Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:20 pm
Ibunshi wrote:
Straker wrote:... And perfection would be to open the platform to 3d party plugins, like rack extensions on Reason.

Exactly, I brought this up on a different forum.. And akai could even turn a bit of profit from setting up an official MPC plugin store for 3rd party developers to sell plugins.

And if they did this, they could set things up so that when you take updates, you can select if you want any additional plugins..

This way you can remove anything you don't like or won't use, to keep it from cluttering up your menus when trying to get to what you do want.

Vst developers could aldu :fku: build some tool to convert simpler plugins into something that works on the MPC.. And there should be plenty that would work on an MPC.

This would keep the mpc hype alive, even without Akai doing anything, for the same reason people are still going nuts over old games like Skyrim, because there's a way for gamers to get what they want without the game developer doing anything..

It would sell some more units, because there's a potential to get what you want without depending on Akai to maybe getting around to do it.. And you can probably forget it if its not in high demand.

And after some time, when that MPC plugin shop has grown a bit, those units are going to be looking even more attractive to newcomers and people who have been on the fence..

But it's pure speculation.. Don't know what it would take, or if doing this would introduce an inescapable risk of bricking your mpc by installing the wrong plugin.

You said it perfectly.
That's also my idea.
I mean, if an unknown company like wayoutware can make it, what about all companies that made plugins these last 20 years?
And not just synths, they could also make effects.
That would benefit everyone, companies, users and Akai itself, as you said, Akai could just sit down and see sales rising.
Let's see.
The good news anyway is that Mpc is mature now, it's selling good and so it will get even better.
Very nice for us who bought it in 2017 when it was very unready and buggy and basic.
Now it's definitely a new product.
A new beast.
By stylesforfree Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:38 pm
I have the Korg Arp Odyssey, I recently updated to MPC 2.10 specifically to compare it to the MPC Arp plugin. Currently comparing them both and the oscillators sound nearly identical, filter sounds a bit different on the MPC odyssey, envelopes, modulation rates and mixer levels are almost identical. White/pink noise on the MPC odyssey sounds static and less animated.

All in all it seems like Akai did a very good job with the odyssey synth.
By stylesforfree Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:50 pm
Straker wrote:There are mixed opinions about wayoutware Odyssey plugin.
I really really like it, presets are a bit lame but as I tweak parameters, some magic happenes for me.
But I never had a real Odyssey and I read comments of real Odyssey owners that say this plugin isn't good and nothing compared to the real one.
So what's your opinion?

Sources please, link to these opinions that you have read.
By Straker Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:32 pm
stylesforfree wrote:
Straker wrote:There are mixed opinions about wayoutware Odyssey plugin.
I really really like it, presets are a bit lame but as I tweak parameters, some magic happenes for me.
But I never had a real Odyssey and I read comments of real Odyssey owners that say this plugin isn't good and nothing compared to the real one.
So what's your opinion?

Sources please, link to these opinions that you have read.

What sources do you need?
Fb Akai Mpc pages, forums, reviews.
As this one where we are talking now.
Maybe it would be nice if you give us your impressions.
By jpeg Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:56 pm
Straker wrote:What's your opinion about Hype?
I am going deeper on it, some sounds (bells, pulses, pads, strings) stand just right on the mix.
I don't find it very deep for editing, this macro window is a bit confusing and not many options, but some presets (if you switch off delay and reverb immediately) are definiteltly on FM or rompler territory.
I am still trying to understand the exact way Hype works, what kind of Synth is it.
But anyway, bells and strings and pianos are just excellent.

Hype has some good sounds; that can be useful if the fx get dialed back as u said; but i would like to see future soundpacks for hype that are more useful the genre that i wanna work on.

I would say even when the fx on Hype r turned of I still think the sound is over produced; so unless the sounds fit ur production style then there may be a bit more massage needed to fit the sounds into a beat.
But the sound is defo very bold and brash but if someone is making a more understated type track these sounds may be a hard fit.

Some of the macros are cool; the filter and resonance r pretty crappy sounding; the eq with the new wave macro looks cool and sounds cool, the raw oscillators sound bad also.

also i dont see it as a good all around rompler even tho it does have sounds it each category; I still think akai need to get a proper rompler on the mpc as mentioned triton vst, roland vst or even an old vst rompler like Luxonix Ravity would be dope
By Straker Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:04 pm
jpeg wrote:
Straker wrote:What's your opinion about Hype?
I am going deeper on it, some sounds (bells, pulses, pads, strings) stand just right on the mix.
I don't find it very deep for editing, this macro window is a bit confusing and not many options, but some presets (if you switch off delay and reverb immediately) are definiteltly on FM or rompler territory.
I am still trying to understand the exact way Hype works, what kind of Synth is it.
But anyway, bells and strings and pianos are just excellent.

Hype has some good sounds; that can be useful if the fx get dialed back as u said; but i would like to see future soundpacks for hype that are more useful the genre that i wanna work on.

I would say even when the fx on Hype r turned of I still think the sound is over produced; so unless the sounds fit ur production style then there may be a bit more massage needed to fit the sounds into a beat.
But the sound is defo very bold and brash but if someone is making a more understated type track these sounds may be a hard fit.

Some of the macros are cool; the filter and resonance r pretty crappy sounding; the eq with the new wave macro looks cool and sounds cool, the raw oscillators sound bad also.

also i dont see it as a good all around rompler even tho it does have sounds it each category; I still think akai need to get a proper rompler on the mpc as mentioned triton vst, roland vst or even an old vst rompler like Luxonix Ravity would be dope

Well, the more I am using Hype, the more I am liking it.
I just saved the presets I like, and so I ended up with 20 sounds to start from.
The library is so huge you get easily lost and it's true many presets are overloaded.
But those 20 presets are exactly what I needed: raw pianos, strings, EP, vibraphone, some bowls, some pulsing pads and analogic pads and some basic basses.
You just switch off delay and reverb and most of time modulation and limiter and they are very good.
My only complain is that editing is a bit limited and lfo is very bad. Filter is ok, not the best, not the worst but it makes its job to cut some high frequencies.
Then you have 4 fx insert on track, sends, even more if you need on a subchannel.
By jpeg Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 am
Straker wrote:Well, the more I am using Hype, the more I am liking it.
I just saved the presets I like, and so I ended up with 20 sounds to start from.
The library is so huge you get easily lost and it's true many presets are overloaded.
But those 20 presets are exactly what I needed: raw pianos, strings, EP, vibraphone, some bowls, some pulsing pads and analogic pads and some basic basses.
You just switch off delay and reverb and most of time modulation and limiter and they are very good.
My only complain is that editing is a bit limited and lfo is very bad. Filter is ok, not the best, not the worst but it makes its job to cut some high frequencies.
Then you have 4 fx insert on track, sends, even more if you need on a subchannel.

the filter has no nice harmonics as it cuts off and the resonance does not sound good; sou in general not a musical sounding filter

not sure that an lfo can bad tho; but yes maybe making some presets that have been stripped of fx and other processing can help with some starter bread and butter sounds
By Straker Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:33 am
jpeg wrote:
Straker wrote:Well, the more I am using Hype, the more I am liking it.

the filter has no nice harmonics as it cuts off and the resonance does not sound good; sou in general not a musical sounding filter

not sure that an lfo can bad tho; but yes maybe making some presets that have been stripped of fx and other processing can help with some starter bread and butter sounds

Yeah the filter is ok to darken the sound and cut high frquencies. But I mean with no resonance. It's not a musical nice filter for sure.
And LFO is fixed, just Sine I guess, and that makes it boring and quite useless in my opinion, it is nearly the same as the pumper.
Also modulation is fixed, you cannot choose different modulations and at the end is better to switch it off and use some Air modulations on insert.
By hyena Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:08 pm
i continually read people complaining about Tubesynth, saying its crap and useless.
i am a sound designer, ableton live certified trainer and i teach synthesis as my main job. i'm a synthesizer enthusiast, now my hardware gear is a bit reduced but i have the mpc live mk1, a 12u x 104hp eurorack modular synth and a bunch of other stuff. just to point out that im not exactly a newbie...of course my opinion is as good as anyone else.

i'm surprised by the hate towards tubesynth as i always found it a great virtual synth! while i agree on Bassline being too basic and a bit uninspiring, i find tubesynth great for many reasons:
-its a classic virtual analog with some unusual twists
-continually sweepable waveforms on both vco's
-waveforms modulatable by lfo and envelopes
-ringmod and suboscillator
-the unusual boost\cut sweepable eq on oscillator 2!
-all the detuning\doubling effects both on oscillator 1 and global
-hard sync
-many gain stage points with very nice saturation
-the great third auxiliary envelope!!! usually it defaults as pitch envelope but can be routed to other stuff as well
-the overall big fat gritty sound of it.

presets are "meh" as usual,but if you spend some time on it i think you'll end up appreciating it a bit more!
By Monotremata Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:09 pm
Straker wrote:
Ibunshi wrote:So for me nothing is wasted space on Mpc.
And since they are starting to put datas on ssd or hd or sd card, that opens up to more synths and solutions in the future.
If you don't put datas on OS, how much space are these new synths taking on OS?
I guess MB.
And perfection would be to open the platform to 3d party plugins, like rack extensions on Reason.

Space has absolutely nothing to do with running more plugins, they're already pushing the CPU inside as much as it can go, there is a BIG limit to what this unit can do, its not going to be running ANY modern VST at all unless you just want the box to run that plugin and nothing else (including the MPC host).

And opening the MPC to third party development, not going to happen. Akai has enough trouble supporting the 'standard' MPC users in general. Now they have to dedicate a whole new support team just for the developers?? And the calls to the regular support line just tripled because everyone's MPC is crashing thanks to some random third party 'developer' who decided to throw his summer of code project up on Gearspace and everyone ran and installed it. Yeah Akai is not about to head down that road.
By Straker Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:51 pm
To Monotremata

Since OS and Ram share the same 2gb, the more you put on OS, the less Ram we have.
Is it not like that?
Yes, the Cpu is limited and I am very surprised that it handles many running instances so flawlessly.
If they put Odyssey, is it not possible to put other plugins, given that datas are stored on ssd?
I read that wayoutware Timewarp was very hungry with computer cpu, but look, this odyssey is ok with Mpc.
So all is possible, in my opinion.
Let's see what's next.
I think this Mpc will reach a point when a more performative cpu will be needed, maybe they will upgrade it, who knows.
By stylesforfree Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:28 pm
Straker wrote:What sources do you need?

As I said in a couple of posts above yours:

'I have the Korg Arp Odyssey, I recently updated to MPC 2.10 specifically to compare it to the MPC Arp plugin. Currently comparing them both and the oscillators sound nearly identical, filter sounds a bit different on the MPC odyssey, envelopes, modulation rates and mixer levels are almost identical. White/pink noise on the MPC odyssey sounds static and less animated.

All in all it seems like Akai did a very good job with the odyssey synth.'

MPC odyssey is 100% usable and sounds very good, I am enjoying it, especially playing it in poly mode.
By Straker Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:46 pm
stylesforfree wrote:
Straker wrote:What sources do you need?

As I said in a couple of posts above yours:

'I have the Korg Arp Odyssey, I recently updated to MPC 2.10 specifically to compare it to the MPC Arp plugin. Currently comparing them both and the oscillators sound nearly identical, filter sounds a bit different on the MPC odyssey, envelopes, modulation rates and mixer levels are almost identical. White/pink noise on the MPC odyssey sounds static and less animated.

All in all it seems like Akai did a very good job with the odyssey synth.'

MPC odyssey is 100% usable and sounds very good, I am enjoying it, especially playing it in poly mode.

Great.
Thanks a lot for the review.
Good to know that a real Odissey user like you made the comparison, much appreciated and much better then the usual internet bla bla.
I also find it very useable and good sounding, with Odyssey and Hype I am very pleased and I am selling my 707 that I bought to cover synths because I didn't like the previous ones so much.
But now I can use Mpc also as a synth module, which is a great news for me.
I also like Mellotron and Solina.