MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Straker Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:02 pm
There are mixed opinions about wayoutware Odyssey plugin.
I really really like it, presets are a bit lame but as I tweak parameters, some magic happenes for me.
But I never had a real Odyssey and I read comments of real Odyssey owners that say this plugin isn't good and nothing compared to the real one.
So what's your opinion?
By ace_of_dub Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 pm
Problem is, what is a real Odyssey? Does the Korg re-issue sound like the real one? Does the Behringer version sounds like the vintage one?

Ultimately how does it matter if you never had the original yourself? Either it sounds good to you or it doesn't. For years, people praised the Minimoog emulation from Arturia (the first one). It turned out it didn't sound remotely like an actual minimoog, but most people didn't know that because they never had a minimoog at first place.

It changes absolutely nothing.
By jpeg Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:13 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:Problem is, what is a real Odyssey? Does the Korg re-issue sound like the real one? Does the Behringer version sounds like the vintage one?

Ultimately how does it matter if you never had the original yourself? Either it sounds good to you or it doesn't. For years, people praised the Minimoog emulation from Arturia (the first one). It turned out it didn't sound remotely like an actual minimoog, but most people didn't know that because they never had a minimoog at first place.

obviously the real Odessey is the og 70s version; so there is no confusion, I dont see why ur only referencing the replicas
By Straker Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:19 pm
ace_of_dub wrote:Problem is, what is a real Odyssey? Does the Korg re-issue sound like the real one? Does the Behringer version sounds like the vintage one?

Personally, it really doesn't matter at all to me.
But I am quite surprised some people say it's useless or whatever.
For me these new plugins are very good and I didn't like the previous Air ones.
Odyssey replaces tubesynth which is nothing special.
It also replaces Bass Synth which is always out of tune.
Even Hype, which has some very good pianos, replaces Electric quite easily.
I don't know if it depends on the external folder or better optimization but they sound definitely better for me and are very useable.
And Bass sounds on Odyssey are really excellent and powerful.
By jpeg Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:35 pm
Straker wrote:There are mixed opinions about wayoutware Odyssey plugin.
I really really like it, presets are a bit lame but as I tweak parameters, some magic happenes for me.
But I never had a real Odyssey and I read comments of real Odyssey owners that say this plugin isn't good and nothing compared to the real one.
So what's your opinion?

what mixed opinions have u seen? presets are ok but so are the presets on tubesynth and the other synths

so if the people complaining about odyssey have nothing bad to say about tube synth; I have to say they are full of it.
By Straker Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm
Well I read here and there, fb pages, gs, forums and so on.
Mixed opinions about Odyssey, no opinions about Tubesynth.
Do you use Tubesynth regularly?
I didn't find any good use of it but maybe it doesn't fit my style and that's it.
I am not saying is bad, I just think nothing special.
By Straker Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:42 pm
jpeg wrote:
So what's your opinion?

what mixed opinions have u seen? presets are ok but so are the presets on tubesynth and the other synths

so if the people complaining about odyssey have nothing bad to say about tube synth; I have to say they are full of it.

Well I read here and there, fb pages, gs, forums and so on.
I didn't find any good use of it but maybe it doesn't fit my style and that's it.
By ace_of_dub Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:55 pm
jpeg wrote:

obviously the real Odessey is the og 70s version; so there is no confusion, I dont see why ur only referencing the replicas

Because most people talking on social media never ever had the original. Only the (successful) knock-offs.
By EnochLight Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 pm
So what's your opinion?

Here's my 2 cents: WayOutWare's 2600 plugin was literally endorsed by the original ARP 2600 inventor - so if their modelling impressed the literal creator of the original, then I'd wager that's good enough - and carries far more weight than any social media blabbering. I see no reason why their Odyssey isn't just as effective, though I don't own any original hardware to compare it to.

What I do own is an MPC, and tweaking/changing presets on Odyssey can sound pretty damn incredible to my ears. I do agree that the included presets are all a bit "meh", but unlike TubeSynth or Bassline, tweaking and changing Odyssey results in some pretty amazing (and convincingly analog) sounds.

So my opinion is: yours is the only one that matters. If it sounds good to you, and you enjoy using it, that's all that matters. People can tell me all day that a particular plugin or piece of hardware sounds horrible or amazing, and I may feel the exact opposite. No big deal.
By Straker Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:22 pm
EnochLight wrote:
So what's your opinion?

Here's my 2 cents: WayOutWare's 2600 plugin was literally endorsed by the original ARP 2600 inventor - so if their modelling impressed the literal creator of the original, then I'd wager that's good enough - and carries far more weight than any social media blabbering. I see no reason why their Odyssey isn't just as effective, though I don't own any original hardware to compare it to.

What I do own is an MPC, and tweaking/changing presets on Odyssey can sound pretty damn incredible to my ears. I do agree that the included presets are all a bit "meh", but unlike TubeSynth or Bassline, tweaking and changing Odyssey results in some pretty amazing (and convincingly analog) sounds.

So my opinion is: yours is the only one that matters. If it sounds good to you, and you enjoy using it, that's all that matters. People can tell me all day that a particular plugin or piece of hardware sounds horrible or amazing, and I may feel the exact opposite. No big deal.

I totally agree with you.
I am finding some very good sounds with it, I don't know if it's faithful or not but it's the soft synth more analogish I tried.
Very funny to tweak and very impressive.
So you are right, who cares about internet bla bla.
By Neodymium Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 am
Odyssey sounds great to me, and is very versatile. Totally happy with it's inclusion. I'll probably spend more time getting to know this, out of tube and bassline. Pretty happy with the Solina too, I think these will compliment each other well.

Does it sound like the original, well there are 3 to compare against. The Mk1 was grey like it looks on the MPC, but 2pole (SEM), and the MPC sounds 4pole. The black Mk2 and Mk3 were 4 pole, Mk2 was a Moog style, which Moog didn't like, so the Mk3 changed it.
By jpeg Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:20 pm
Straker wrote:Well I read here and there, fb pages, gs, forums and so on.

/tube/synth is trash imo as is the bassline synth and at the moment I feel the same way bout hype.

Hype is better then Tube synth tho; tube synth is the lowest of the low just generic and cold and digital; same with the bassline synth.

Hype synths in built tones are poor; but the fx and filters are decent, so if someone can hack this thing and give us better oscillators and default sounds then it would be fine.
By Straker Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:32 pm
jpeg wrote:
Straker wrote:Well I read here and there, fb pages, gs, forums and so on.

/tube/synth is trash imo as is the bassline synth and at the moment I feel the same way bout hype.

Hype is better then Tube synth tho; tube synth is the lowest of the low just generic and cold and digital; same with the bassline synth.

Hype synths in built tones are poor; but the fx and filters are decent, so if someone can hack this thing and give us better oscillators and default sounds then it would be fine.

I agree about Tubesynth and Bass synth (btw, am I the only one who always hear it out of tune?).
But I like Hype a lot.
You have many oscillators , you can chenge them on the main page.
And piano sounds are really good.
And also bass sounds are good.
Take time with it, I really think it's another level compared to Tubesynth and Bass synth.
By jpeg Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:06 pm
Straker wrote:I agree about Tubesynth and Bass synth (btw, am I the only one who always hear it out of tune?).
But I like Hype a lot.
Take time with it, I really think it's another level compared to Tubesynth and Bass synth.

with Hype I think the features/fx of it are decent and there are some decent pianos and pads; but in general the tone is still has that digital clean coldness that i dislike in most vst's

I want sounds that have that analog warmth and heft; when i listen to raw oscillators of Hype I dont like those tones, but Hype is way better then Tubesynth and Bassline tho, I agree with that.

I am sure I can get some usable sounds out of hype by tweaking and messing with fx but the initial tones dont fit into the productions easily, thats what i find.
By Straker Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:54 pm
jpeg wrote:
Straker wrote:I agree about Tubesynth and Bass synth (btw, am I the only one who always hear it out of tune?).
But I like Hype a lot.

with Hype I think the features/fx of it are decent and there are some decent pianos and pads; but in general the tone is still has that digital clean coldness that i dislike in most vst's

I want sounds that have that analog warmth and heft; when i listen to raw oscillators of Hype I dont like those tones, but Hype is way better then Tubesynth and Bassline tho, I agree with that.

I am sure I can get some usable sounds out of hype by tweaking and messing with fx but the initial tones dont fit into the productions easily, thats what i find.

Well,obviously if you want pure analog warmth, you have to buy an analog synth.
I don't think you will ever get that on an Mpc.
I think Mpc plugins are a bonus, something you can work with to obtain some interesting sounds for your music, but I never thought they can replace any real analog device.
But I like that these new ones are a leap forward compared to the previous Air ones.
Actually I am thinking to sell back my Arturia Microfreak and Mc101 that I bought to fill the gap of Mpc synths.
So all good for me.
We reached a good level with synths and fx on Mpc, that's my opinion.