MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Smackdee Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:11 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
SakisX wrote:But still you can’t play a muted track

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Totally agree, akai please fix this once and for all..
By handthrow Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:10 pm
With the way MPC is organized i doubt it'd be a natural change to the code (or i'm just a pessimist).
You still can easily achieve this by having a separate track with same program and use it to play while other track is muted
You can quickly switch selected track by holding main button and pressing the pad.
By Straker Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:46 pm
handthrow wrote:With the way MPC is organized i doubt it'd be a natural change to the code (or i'm just a pessimist).
You still can easily achieve this by having a separate track with same program and use it to play while other track is muted
You can quickly switch selected track by holding main button and pressing the pad.

I think that some internal midi changed with 2.8 update when they put multimidi support and probably they rewrote all midi internal and external midi protocol.
The instant track mute issue started there and apparently has been solved on 2.10.
So maybe it's possible they also solve this other issue, if it's an issue, I never played pads on a muted track anyway.
By 83dude Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:01 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:

That‘s what a „mute“ does.
By Ultros Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:18 pm
You folks have goofy ways of working on things. Why do your track mutes and crap in the segmentational part of production? Mutes are for the mix down. Get aqquainted with clips folks. The work flow for modern mpc is genius and it seems no one really gets it...

Make your segments, render (bounce) the layers. Create a clip program and assign all the layers to the pad matrix. Set up all your qlink fx on individual pads and start the final mix process in a 5th sequence dedicated to sequecing the clips.

Boom, you can mute all the shit you want... Its all about the order in which you produce.

Produce segments, clip mixdown, render final target.
By Straker Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:12 pm
Ultros wrote:You folks have goofy ways of working on things. Why do your track mutes and crap in the segmentational part of production? Mutes are for the mix down. Get aqquainted with clips folks. The work flow for modern mpc is genius and it seems no one really gets it...

Make your segments, render (bounce) the layers. Create a clip program and assign all the layers to the pad matrix. Set up all your qlink fx on individual pads and start the final mix process in a 5th sequence dedicated to sequecing the clips.

Boom, you can mute all the **** you want... Its all about the order in which you produce.

Produce segments, clip mixdown, render final target.

That's your way.
Some other people use track mutes and sequences to play and arrange in real time on standalone.
And when I say some people, I also mean people who used older Mpc exactly for that.
So maybe you can jump to the conclusion that different people with different ways of using an Mpc exist.
Or maybe you are the only one on Earth?
By saltmcgault Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:36 pm
Ultros wrote:You folks have goofy ways of working on things. Why do your track mutes and crap in the segmentational part of production? Mutes are for the mix down. Get aqquainted with clips folks. The work flow for modern mpc is genius and it seems no one really gets it...

What do you meaan.... you folks? jk I **** with track mutes with the 2500 all the time. I don't use them as much with the X.
By djst Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:59 pm
handthrow wrote:You can quickly switch selected track by holding main button and pressing the pad.

That's really neat! Is there a list of all of these kinds of useful keyboard combos to speed up your workflow?
By Ultros Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:04 pm
saltmcgault wrote:What do you meaan.... you folks? jk I **** with track mutes with the 2500 all the time. I don't use them as much with the X.

LOL, what do *YOU* mean- "what do you mean, you folks?" ?..
By Straker Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:29 pm
djst wrote:
handthrow wrote:You can quickly switch selected track by holding main button and pressing the pad.

That's really neat! Is there a list of all of these kinds of useful keyboard combos to speed up your workflow?

Shift+pads to change mode
Shift+stop to go back to beginning of playhead
Shift+playstart metronome on/off
Shift+menu browser
By Ibunshi Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:14 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:

Might mean that you get no sound from the pads themselves from a muted track, so you can not play..

This is something that has annoyed me a bit when wanting to try out a different melody with the same synth patch, that I can't mute what has been recorded and then play the pads to try something new.. And instead have to set up an entirely new track just to test that melody along with everything else playing..

Only a minor annoyance for me, as I can just set up a new track..

but can see this being a bigger issue if you are doing live performances and want to be able to quickly mute something and then do some live improvisation playing on the pads, and then just unmute it to let it go back to play what's on the track..

If you then have to scroll between different tracks just to be able to do this, then that may ruin it when your timing needs to be tight..

It would be nice to have mute just mute what has been recorded, rather than muting the entire source of sound.. And this should not be needed unless you somehow find yourself often accidentally hitting the pads when you do not want to..

But people already avoid hitting the pads when they do not want them to make a sound so should be no problem if hitting mute on a track, only muted the recording rather than the source itself..

This way you could for example mute a drum track only to improvise the drum patterns on the last bar, and unmute before the sequence loops.. But this can get pretty painful if you have to scroll around between different tracks when there's not a lot of time..

Not a problem for me as I don't do live stuff and just record any improvisation beforehand..

But when people do live shows, or live performances at home when recording a full piece of music, then they may want to not just automate everything from the start, but have some improvised elements as well...

No idea if this is what the other guy meant by not being able to play muted tracks.. But it's something that I've run into when wanting to try different melodies and can't simply mute the track and still play the pads on the spot.
By elstebbano Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:47 am
I think it is not really possible for muted tracks to be playable anymore. It is either a way of muting tracks by midi (the old way with pads staying playable) or muting tracks by audio (the way it is done right now with the benefit of instant mute and unmute). Either..or!
By solrac Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:38 am
If you set the monitor state to 'in' instead of 'auto' on the track (red circle on main screen), that enables you to play/jam new notes with the existing audio on that track muted.
By Ibunshi Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:08 pm
solrac wrote:If you set the monitor state to 'in' instead of 'auto' on the track (red circle on main screen), that enables you to play/jam new notes with the existing audio on that track muted.

Excellent! Thanks
By 40Beatz Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:41 pm
solrac wrote:If you set the monitor state to 'in' instead of 'auto' on the track (red circle on main screen), that enables you to play/jam new notes with the existing audio on that track muted.

Not Workin For Me