MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By vkinetic Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:35 am
New MPC One user - gradually getting familiar with this amazing device. I have a number of clip programs in a sequence. When I go to edit a clip, when I hit the pad (any pad that has a clip assigned) it starts playback of the whole sequence, which drives me nuts when I am trying just edit the clip. Sure I can solo the track but I don't understand why the MPC behaves like this (only happens with clip programs). I've looked at all the preferences and can't see where I can turn this behaviour off. Any help will be appreciated. Also, after watching a video about non-destructive samples I am beginning to wonder why I should use clips at all - can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of using a clip program rather than a drum program with user samples assigned?

Thanks
By T-Monk Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:55 pm
I’m not a big clip program user, but clip programs can time stretch a loop in real time to match the sequence tempo and they have laugh quantization which can be set per clip. The launch quantization means you can trigger a pad and it will start on the following 1/8 note, 1/4 note, 1 bar downbeat, etc.
Clips can also have mute groups (drum programs do too) where once one clip starts, it will stop playback of another. Used with clip launch quantize, this could mean when one drum loop starts on a downbeat of a bar, a previous drum loop stops playing, so you only ever have 1 drum loop playing at a time.
By drewbeck Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:53 am
A couple years later but … I came here looking for an answer to this exact question, thanks for making me feel less insane

I _think_ the idea is that clip mode is a performance mode, so when you start hitting pads in clip mode you're assumed to be starting your performance (or recording of your performance, I guess?). At least that's the only thing I can imagine that's behind this strange behavior!

I do think that for what I actually want to do a regular drum program is the way to go, and that I've just been misunderstanding what clip mode is for.

If anyone has a better explanation, though, I'm all ears!

vkinetic wrote:New MPC One user - gradually getting familiar with this amazing device. I have a number of clip programs in a sequence. When I go to edit a clip, when I hit the pad (any pad that has a clip assigned) it starts playback of the whole sequence, which drives me nuts when I am trying just edit the clip. Sure I can solo the track but I don't understand why the MPC behaves like this (only happens with clip programs). I've looked at all the preferences and can't see where I can turn this behaviour off. Any help will be appreciated. Also, after watching a video about non-destructive samples I am beginning to wonder why I should use clips at all - can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of using a clip program rather than a drum program with user samples assigned?

Thanks