MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By vkinetic Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:51 am
I'm a new MPC One user. I was watching a Youtube video about the MPC One and the author had an external keyboard connected to his MPC One via a USB hub as he found it easier to enter text that way rather than using the touch screen. I thought I would see what happened if I connected my wireless Logitech keyboard/touchpad to my hub. Sure enough I can input text via that wireless usb keyboard no worries. But I thought I would try to see if there are other things it could do. I spend too much time editing midi velocities in the midi editor, trying to get better feels of my drum tracks. Often I like to have a 16th or 32nd hi hat feel where, for example, I have every second event a lower velocity than every other event. It becomes quite tedious selecting every second event one by one because as far as I can see there is no way to select multiple non-contiguous events and edit them all at once (tried holding the MPC One's 'Shift' down while selecting events but that does not work). But if I hold the Shift key of the external keyboard I can select non-contiguous events (as if I was on a PC) for editing or manipulation which is a great time saver, for me anyway.

I hope I don't get laughed out of this forum because everyone already knows this but it's just something I stumbled upon. I had previous done a search looking for ways of choosing multiple non-contiguous events without success. But if anyone can tell me how they get better drum feels by editing velocities in a time friendly way I would be very grateful - I seem to have to spend way too much time doing this rather than actually creating music :(

Thanks
By vkinetic Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:02 pm
Thanks for the replies and comments. The behavior I was referring to happens in the Grid editor. The video I was referring to where the guy uses a USB keyboard is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaoDoekN6l8 and the appropriate part starts about 7 minutes into the video.

I was surprised too that my wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse pad worked without any need for installing drivers. Mine worked straight away and I have been able to enter text plus use the shift key as described in my original post. I've only had my keyboard connected for 24 hours so haven't really had much of a chance of exploring other things that may work using a usb keyboard yet.
By vkinetic Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:08 pm
Thanks for your comments MPC Tutor. I would really appreciate it if you could clarify for me the reasons why one might use a clip program as opposed to a drum program to trigger my samples. It seems to me that there are limitations using a clip program compared to a drum program (non'destructive samples versus pad parameters as an example). Also, and I have created a separate post about this - why does hitting a pad in a sample editor of a Clip program starts playback of the sequence. Drives me nuts. Thanks.
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:36 pm
Wow, thanks for this! I had already tried a USB keyboard and found it not to work, but it was probably a narrow Apple wired keyboard, which has had problems being recognized in Windows and Linux as well. I should have tried other keyboards.

I found that you can do one-way navigation with the Tab key, and type in text in text dialogs, but that's about it. If the keyboard support was fully customizable, and if there was a complete set of key commands for moving around, moving notes etc, I think the MPC One could be operated extremely fast.

Even in Ableton (where grid editing is way easier), I sometimes use two separate hi-hat/ride/shaker/tambourine notes for odd/even notes of the pattern just so that I can easily treat them differently, even if they use the same sample.

Image (link if that doesn't work https://imgur.com/a/QtDBkiZ)

I must say, the current MPC grid editor is surprisingly limited and clunky. I had thought, people use this as their main MIDI editor, so surely the editing must be top notch... Not so. Simple everyday things I'm used to in Ableton are missing, like holding down a modifier key to multi-select, selecting a group of notes by drag-enclosing their velocities in the velocity display, auto-filtering drum notes to only actually used notes, quick-navigating the display to where the notes actually are, seeing drum sample names in the editor, moving to next/previous note with key commands.
By vkinetic Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:38 am
Thanks very much HouseWithoutMouse for your tips and comments. That's a great idea about using two separate notes for the same sample to ease the editing burden. I should have thought of that but obviously I wasn't thinking 'outside the square'. I agree about the chunkiness of the grid editor - I've come from years of using Cubase which has (and I think always has had) an excellent grid editor and I miss so many of the most basic features. But Akai have shown willingness to keep developing this fantastic family of machines so hopefully they will turn their minds to more mundane but nevertheless extremely important aspects of the MPC like the grid editor.

Thanks again for your comments