MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mor3ten Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:48 am
Hi!
I was just noticing that the CV (gate) timing is a bit off on my MPC One.
It’s a bit slow triggering and I tested using a sample kick and triggering the gate on off-beat. It sounds like it’s shuffled.

If I edit the gates :-12 -11 (is it ticks in the grid editor?) from x.4.:48 -24 to x.4.36 -35 it seems rock solid.

But I don’t want to manually edit every track and note so I hope there is some kind of master timing on the CV?

Haven’t found one though…

Eurorack being triggered:
1. Behringer sys-100 dual-env triggering sys-100 synth voice.
2. Studio Electronics Tonestar 2600

Both is fine after adjusting (and equally off original) so it doesn’t seem like a eurorack module problem.

Please help!
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Interesting. Can you record the CV output on an audio track, to pinpoint the phenomenon? I tried recording the gate output to an audio track, where the right channel records metronome click "MPC Click" from the MPC's master audio output.

The result looks like this:

The tempo was 60 bpm in this test. The displayed BPM value is just MPC's "intelligently" made-up figure.
By wavejockey Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:21 am
you sure you did have TC off and (MPC) shuffle to 50% ?
By mor3ten Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:04 am
Tried recording the gate signal but wasn’t able to get the metronome. Care to elaborate how you set it up?

The recorded gate signal looks weird compared to your. I used a mono cable and had to use a stereo adapter to 6.35mm to be able to input on the MPC.
By mor3ten Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:07 am
wavejockey wrote:you sure you did have TC off and (MPC) shuffle to 50% ?

Yes. I used step editor to input the gates so TC shouldn’t be a problem.
By mor3ten Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:58 am
mor3ten wrote:Tried recording the gate signal but wasn’t able to get the metronome. Care to elaborate how you set it up?

The recorded gate signal looks weird compared to your. I used a mono cable and had to use a stereo adapter to 6.35mm to be able to input on the MPC.

Using my Mordax DATA I checked the gate signal and it looks ok.
By HouseWithoutMouse Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:59 pm
I connected CV port 1 to audio input 1, and main audio output 1 to audio input 2. And recorded with monitoring off, to not get feedback. There seems to be a high-pass filter or something in the audio input filtering out DC offsets and making the gate signals curved, but the point was just to see the timing, and it looked tight in my experiment. I had to turn the audio input gain way down to make it not clip.

My notes for triggering the gate were like this:

That Mordax Data looks nice! But I'm not going that way, I heard that that sort of modular stuff will eat all your money...
By mor3ten Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Now this some weird stuff…

I reset preferences and now it seems to work. Very odd!

Another thing that I can’t understand is that I now can’t seem to record the gate. Same settings but now it just records a very short snippet then goes out of record. I have to check into that.

BUT it seems to work now and I don’t know what it was that caused the delay.

Yeah, the Mordax DATA is very nice but I wish I never entered the eurorack world. So don’t go there! :lol:
By mor3ten Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:59 pm
Nope. Now I found the problem:

There seem to be some latency in Logic (I have listened to the sound from an Expert Sleepers ES-9). No difference if I change sound card (also have a Roland MX-1.

Tried in Reason and it’s perfect. Something makes Logic lag (same audio setup in both Logic and Reason).

I guess I won’t be using Logic then.
By mor3ten Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 pm
NearTao wrote:In preferences you may be able to modify the buffer. It is possible that Logic just has a longer buffer?

Yeah I tried the lowest (32 samples) buffer size and small process buffer range. Still slow (laggy).

In Reason its perfect and it’s weird since the same aggregated device is used in both.
By mor3ten Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:53 am
Yeah. Though it’s now a matter of Logic being crap I won’t post more here.

The MPC is fine.

Thanks for all your help guys! :worthy: