MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MikeNizo808 Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:40 pm
You should sell that "iRig Pro I/O" before even using it. I find it to be low quality from initial observations.

I had one laying around that was unused so I did some tests. On the label it says "96k", which is never a good sign since MPC wants "44.1". Also the product shows support for PC and MAC, but not Linux (MPC requires linux compatibility _and_ "USB Class Compliant".

Nonetheless, I connected it to the MPC Live II. It was detected as an Audio Device; However, when switching to it, the system crashes with a message and restarts the audio driver so you are then pointing to "Internal" again.

## Replacing the iRig
- If you need Phantom power you should buy a sound card for just outputting the line level audio into the MPC
- If you need the MIDI functionality (I.e. 5-pin DIN) then use a proper engineered product like mioXC, or even the older Roland UM-One (these are USB to 5-pin DIN that can connect your laptop to the MPC or the MPC to another MIDI device, including another MPC).

## Using the iRig
If despite the above, you still want to use the iRig, I recommend:

- Ignore the MIDI cables they include since they are not standard and will not fit in your MPC. The ground circle on the DIN cables is too low and do not fit the MPC (so skip the MIDI functionality completely, or provide your own 1/8" minijack to MIDI DIN from a reputable vendor).
- Optionally, connect the iRig to your computer to use it as a sound card input
- Optionally, use the 1/8" audio out on the iRig and run audio into the MPC
- Optionally, take the output from your laptop audio jack or other sound card and feed it to MPC

## Other Observations
- When connecting it to the MPC, it draws no observable current (though it does light up)
- When connecting MPC to a powered hub, and then the iRig, it can draw 0.08A, but still crashes when set to an audio interface.
- When connected to MAC it draws ~0.8A
- The bus speed observed in macOS is 12Mb/sec (**** slow, but fine for MIDI if only the cables weren't ****)
- Tested in Linux and it draws no current and does not appear as a sound device
- Did not test PC, but guessing that would work fine since it is supported on the box (though may require ASIO drivers)

## Summary
I am a pass on this device.

Edits:
// Added more entries to Observations section
By GuyInLyon Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:37 am
Thanks for the info. I've been using it successfully for the past five years into a succession of Macbooks and its quality has been good enough for me. If I find that it doesn't work when I get the MPC then I'll look for something different. Hopefully something small and bus powered.