MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Asadthedudd Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:34 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:MPC One arrived today (standard black, not retro), pads absolutely fine with a consistent sensitivity across the pads, pretty much like my Live Mk 1. Cute and dinky pads, but no problem playing them.

Some say that you need to break the pads in and give it time as they will soften up. Maybe that was the case with your live 2. What you think?
By Asadthedudd Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:05 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I've owned nearly every MPC model ever made and I've never had to break in pads on any of them, they should work correctly out of the box.

Well, since you have the live 1 as well, so I'm pretty sure i did the right thing by asking for replacement. You're right my mpc one was A okay right out the box but live 2 retro wasn't.

Might sound a little harsh but Akai really needs to up their game in terms of quality control.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:31 pm
TBH I don't know what the issue is as I've only tried a single live 2 retro, so I personally can't really assume it was anything other than a one-off faulty unit. Plenty of people say they are happy with the pads.

All I can say is my MPC One 'black' pads are good, as are the ones on my other black modern-ish MPCs (Live 1, MPC Touch). I also never had this issue with the MPC Ren or the MPC Studio.

I've had my fair share of issues with older MPC pads, but these tend to be after many years of playing (worn out pad sensors), except for the original blue MPC1000 which did have really poor insensitive pads out of the box (which Akai eventually 'fixed' by releasing the black MPC1000 with a new pad sensor design).

A new MPC should not have irregular pad sensitivity, especially in the centre of the pad as that is where you would (and should) be hitting the pads. Trying to hit the pads on the edges is not a suitable workaround IMO, nor is hoping the pads will eventually break in; in my experience MPC pads only get worse over time, not better.

If I get an opportunity to try another retro MPC I will test the sensitivity, but there are no Akai stockists anywhere near me these days, so it's unlikely I will get to do this any time soon.
By Asadthedudd Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:TBH I don't know what the issue is as I've only tried a single live 2 retro, so I personally can't really assume it was anything other than a one-off faulty unit. Plenty of people say they are happy with the pads.

All I can say is my MPC One 'black' pads are good, as are the ones on my other black modern-ish MPCs (Live 1, MPC Touch). I also never had this issue with the MPC Ren or the MPC Studio.

I've had my fair share of issues with older MPC pads, but these tend to be after many years of playing (worn out pad sensors), except for the original blue MPC1000 which did have really poor insensitive pads out of the box (which Akai eventually 'fixed' by releasing the black MPC1000 with a new pad sensor design).

A new MPC should not have irregular pad sensitivity, especially in the centre of the pad as that is where you would (and should) be hitting the pads. Trying to hit the pads on the edges is not a suitable workaround IMO, nor is hoping the pads will eventually break in; in my experience MPC pads only get worse over time, not better.

If I get an opportunity to try another retro MPC I will test the sensitivity, but there are no Akai stockists anywhere near me these days, so it's unlikely I will get to do this any time soon.

I totally feel you. But im pretty sure its not any major hardware faults but the alignment of the sensor and sheet. However, i wouldnt be comfortable opening up these new mpcs as i was with my 2000xl.

Let's hope it was a wonky unit. Waiting for my replacement unit hopefully there are no faults whatsoever. Praying that it doesnt take a lot of time. I really wanted the live 2
By HouseWithoutMouse Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:48 pm
From my own experiences and this thread, it's the RETRO models that are crap.

Executive summary:
- MPC One, regular black model: OK
- MPC One, Retro: crap
- MPC Live, regular black model: OK
- MPC Live, Retro: crap

Retro = crap.

I may change my opinion when I get the unit back from Thomann, but so far that's what it is.
By Asadthedudd Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:25 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:From my own experiences and this thread, it's the RETRO models that are crap.

Executive summary:
- MPC One, regular black model: OK
- MPC One, Retro: crap
- MPC Live, regular black model: OK
- MPC Live, Retro: crap

Retro = crap.

I may change my opinion when I get the unit back from Thomann, but so far that's what it is.

Are they replacing your unit?
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:34 pm
Asadthedudd wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Update. Three weeks after I sent the MPC One Retro for repair, Thomann refunded me the whole cost of the unit. :) Now I don't have an MPC anymore. I'll consider buying a regular non-retro model.

Wow why tho? They couldnt fix it or…?

The device was sent to an Akai service, and the service had told Thomann that in this case, repairing or fixing was not possible. And they didn't have a replacement in storage, so --> refund.

I'm just happy I got rid of it. The pad randomness and insensitivity wasn't the only problem - there were annoying usability problems that will probably never get fixed, and the issue with Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen. For example, not being able to instantly remove the notes of a track in order to re-record a new version, without stopping playback, to create a constantly evolving set live. Looking at the Force now, in absolutely no hurry. Akai does not have my money yet, and this time I'll be wiser not to believe what users say, because some of them seem to suffer from some sort of a Stockholm syndrome. Thanks and sorry. :)
By WASKMUSIC Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:14 pm
I stumbled across the MPC Live MK2 Retro as well. Having the exact same issues. My MK1 triggers everything perfect and allows controllable triplets playing and stuff like that, and the MK2 Retro is registering only 95% of my drum hits. Sometimes the hihat is missing or a kick doesn't trigger. I am experienced in making beats with MPC's since way before year 2000, so i am pretty sure it is the unit. It was used, so i guess i can't take it back to the dealer, but sure i will try anyway :D
By e-Brainz Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:43 pm
Not gonna lie, this thread is making me a little paranoid about my brand new (non-retro) MPC One. Mine was on 2.7.x too when I got it, even though the store I bought it from it was out of supply and restocked recently.

First thing I did when I got it was to update to 2.10.1. I was getting double triggering pretty often and thought maybe it was me getting used to the pads. Playing around with the sensitivity improve but did not eliminate the issue. Following the advice to reset the preferences after a firmware update made a marked difference - the pads at the default settings are now better than ever and I haven't felt the need to re-adjust them yet.

Double triggering is quite rare now but it still happens occasionally.

There is some inconsistency when playing with a light touch where hits sometimes won't register, and certain pads seem more prone to it than others. This when going lighter than I normally play, but then again I never had an MPC before so I don't know how hard you are supposed to hit the pads. Sometimes I want to be expressive - even when using Full Level, my body just wants to follow the music.

My only previous experience with pads is my M-Audio Axiom Mk I controller but those pads are quite different, soft and a little squishy, with even softer corners (and have no aftertouch).

Are MPC pads supposed to feel perfectly analogue-like in expressiveness with both hitting them and aftertouch? Are you supposed to be able to play a gentle, soulful synth melody on them complete with gentle, evolving aftertouch modulation? Or is it mostly about triggering samples reliably (I guess 16 levels is there for a reason, and has been from the start). It is fine either way, just so long as I know that it is the limit of what the machine can do and not a defect.

MIDI keyboards that I have used (lower-end ones) aren't perfect either when it comes to velocity - you pick your curves and sensitivity and get used to the feel. Even on an actual acoustic piano, there is such a thing as a minimum threshold. But I have no measuring stick when it comes to the MPC and I wouldn't want my experience with it to be held back by any potential issues - or to be overly worrying about that for no good reason.

More experienced users' stories that I read about it seem to be all over the place, too. My impression is both that playing style makes a difference and it takes some getting used to, and that there is a lot of actual variation between units. This is not making it any easier for me to feel 100% confident that mine is A-OK.

The next step is to play around with pad settings again and see how this works out.
By Asadthedudd Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:49 pm
WASKMUSIC wrote:I stumbled across the MPC Live MK2 Retro as well. Having the exact same issues. My MK1 triggers everything perfect and allows controllable triplets playing and stuff like that, and the MK2 Retro is registering only 95% of my drum hits. Sometimes the hihat is missing or a kick doesn't trigger. I am experienced in making beats with MPC's since way before year 2000, so i am pretty sure it is the unit. It was used, so i guess i can't take it back to the dealer, but sure i will try anyway :D

Turn off time correct