MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Schnooker Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:23 pm
Akai are repairing my unit as a courtesy.

I can't begin to explain how relieved/happy I am.

Thank you Akai.. thank you, thank you, thank you..
By EnochLight Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:26 pm
Schnooker wrote:Akai are repairing my unit as a courtesy.

Wow - that's truly amazing news - congrats! They totally went above and beyond. :smoker: :worthy:
By SakisX Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:24 am
Schnooker wrote:Akai are repairing my unit as a courtesy.

Nice , but how much $$$$ ?

I saw TP3 is a Solid Tantalum Surface Mount Chip Capacitor

which I assume is very cheap ,like most capacitors , but
the reason it blew of might be more serious
By orukusaki Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 am
Fascinating thread, happy to hear your MPC is getting fixed.
Would love to know the actual cause, it's clear something has shorted to ground internally. That "sponge" looking thing is conductive, and connects the ground plain on the headphone board to the metal case. There's another between the headphone board and the control surface board which probably shows similar damage. Clearly a lot of current has passed between the case and that ground lead, but I couldn't say in which direction without digging further.

No reason to think it was something you plugged in - there's no charing around the footswitch sockets themselves.
No way this was caused by the software update either, it's got to be an internal hardware fault, just happened to happen when you did the update.
By Schnooker Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:51 pm
Hello everyone.

I just wanted you to all know that I came home last night to a brand news MPCX.
To say I'm thrilled with Akai's handling of my issue, really only begins to scratch the surface.

A massive, massive thank you to Aaron, and the team at Akai, and also to everyone on here - you guys have been a real safety net for me, and I'm so grateful for this site.

I'd also just like to give a special nod to MPCStuff, as they were also amazing!

Many, many thanks.
Stephen
By CMP4591 Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:34 am
I am currently going through the same issue with my out of warranty MPC X. My problem's also began with the 2.10 update.
Same experience with customer service, and MPC Stuff.
I am being reluctant on purchasing a new PBC board when they become available.
I think it's bullshit that it is a hardware issue.
By Valeronesky Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:32 am
Hi folks !

Same issues over here since did last update to 2.10 tried the last one 2.10.1 but it seems the internal soundcard is gone :? it's only works with the external ones but ( hooked up to xone 96 USB 1 ) it's popping out latency " pops " I hear trough the studio speakers it's weird cause the laptops don't when connected to the same USB - B port , I have the unit buggy since I've bought it from another person with warranty and the bill... but now the thing is totally unusable in standalone mode... Should I do or ask something / from / towards Akai Or something else ? Cause this an costly unit laying bricked aside... Sad story... :Sigh: Hoping something neat ( dreaming )
thank you fellas

:worthy:

Valera
By sumilumi Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:39 pm
My MPC X is also broken.

The whole control surface board is out which means no oled displays, no response from any buttons. The MPC itself works, it boots as normal, the touchscreen works and it flashes the pad LEDs on startup but no control surface.

I called InMusic / Akai pro support. I spoke to a nice guy there back in March. I was having intermittent freezes and hiccups in standalone mode but generally fine operation in controller mode. My X is well out of warranty, too far to go down that route. I'm also an engineer with a fully tooled workbench and the ability to do most of the repairs they'd likely do in their service centre.

What I dont have is any service information, schematics or access to knowledge bases to help isolate the problem. The chap I spoke to in March was very helpful and said I could work on it over the phone while in comms with one of their techs. I'd obviously have to pay their hourly rate but I'd simply carry out the tests and procedures they'd do but on my workbench. Their tech knowing the equipment would be able to fairly quickly isolate the core of the problem. I was frankly surprised by their willingness to help me on this level and left me with very positive impression of InMusic/Akai. But my workbench wasn't setup back in march so I didn't follow up immediately with him.

So I've made do with controller mode since march and then last week I found it totally out of action. Called the same UK support number but this time I didn't get the nice guy, rather an irate lady who clearly had no understanding of the deeper technical details and absolutely no interest in helping me. She said she was the supervisor and absolutely refused any possibility of my working with their techs over the phone stating this is absolutely against their policy.. That whoever offered to help me in March was acting against company policy, essentially she almost implied I must be making it up,,, :roll: Her attitude is of course what I expected in the first place.

So what she wants is what all these big greedy companies want. They want me to do is send it to them so they can tell me oh your MPC needs a £700 circuit board. Not an option, I'll sooner scrap it for parts,,

Now in reality I suspect my machine just needs all its ribbon cables reseated, maybe replaced but all I think it needs is to be fully factory reset

The key thing to note is:

On opening the setting info / about page it says my X has lost it's serial number and under control surface it says unknown. So there is clearly a break in comms / machine amnesia. The whole thing just needs a hard reset, both sides of the machine, that is CPU board and the Control surface.

I'm an engineer with a workbench so I've explored all the main test points and all the right voltages are in all the right places. I think its just a case of amnesia.

So does anyone here know of any reset procedure. I tried connecting it by usb but the MPC app doesn't see it nor does the MPC register there is a Mac on the USB bus.

Any guidance / suggestions appreciated
By BeatWilson Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:40 pm
Damn. Im curious how long you have had it. Cause I have had my on all day a lot of the time when im not at school or work and no real big problems yet. I got mine a year after release. I seen a couple videos of people taking them apart but it looks like a pretty annoying job compared to a MPC2500.

I really hope you fix yours. Worried one day it will happen to me.

I found a video on youtube of this guy trying to repair his MPCX. He eventually sends it out but you can see the insides of it. He has 3 total videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zUhQ9yQowc

Cheers
By Valeronesky Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:44 pm
Hello, Finally got the answer from the servicing center for the MPC X, and here also the bad news, seems that the pcb board is gone, so the amount to fix and replace the parts are 549 Euros, the PCB PSU board itself cost 242,00 €... I'm screwed up... The Mpc X was bought used under warranty, who has gone meanwhile... Bravo Akai for the accurancy of the lifespam... Well for an expensive piece of kit it is what it is... just unlucky ... Good luck everyone else! Will repair mine asap and will Keep in touch after the servicing of it... cheers
By gordonpeter Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:47 am
Ultros wrote:This thread makes me sad, i wish i had enough money set asside to offer him something for this unit because i can already see whats going to happen here... his friend is gonna look at it, make no progress, clap his hands and call it dead and i could fix it in about 30 mins with a screw driver and ft232 serial uart.

in theory they need to hook up the uart, trick the unit into the "usb update mode" to hang the system long enough to be able to manually run the updater script from the uart terminal... it sounds easy and it is for anyone whos familiar with linux but its not something someone with no familiarity can pull off.

hey ultros!
i can’t seem to private/direct message here… but, hopefully you’ll see this!
i’m in ontario and have a had a similar problem with my mpc live… i’d love to chat!
thanks,
gord