MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Schnooker Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:31 am
Ultros wrote:yeah, thats not your fault. if they wont fix it keep the unit anyways. there is a UART header on the board if you are familiar with linux and ft233 serial connection you can maybe boot it into usb update mode so it idles and then serial uart into it then terminate the tethered usb updater and instead execute the usb/sd image updater script.. but that takes some skill and i dont expect everyone to be an embedded electronics wizard.

if you're from ontario canada i can likely fix it for you.

You’re very kind, and I wish I lived in Ontario.
Thank you so much..

Stephen
By justineastwick Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:59 pm
Schnooker wrote:
Ultros wrote:yeah, thats not your fault. if they wont fix it keep the unit anyways. there is a UART header on the board if you are familiar with linux and ft233 serial connection you can maybe boot it into usb update mode so it idles and then serial uart into it then terminate the tethered usb updater and instead execute the usb/sd image updater script.. but that takes some skill and i dont expect everyone to be an embedded electronics wizard.

if you're from ontario canada i can likely fix it for you.

You’re very kind, and I wish I lived in Ontario.
Thank you so much..

Stephen

Send it to this guy to see if he could fix it for you. What you go to lose at this point?
By Schnooker Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:33 pm
That’s a great idea, and I’ll be honest, I’d much rather let a private repair person have a go at it, and give them how ever many $$’s it would take.
I have a little guy here whom I’m gonna have a look at it, just to see if maybe a wire/connector came loose, but if he can’t find the problem, Ontario looks like a really decent option - if Ultros would be so kind..
By ace_of_dub Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:24 pm
Schnooker, I don't understand, where are you based? UK? the EU? USA? In Europe, the legal guarantee for a tech good in retail IS 2 years, period. Then there are EU provisions related to hidden defects (which could be argued it is the case here), a software update shouldn't brick a device, that could force AKAI to fix your device. Where did you buy that device? I would absolutely send a letter to AKAI headquarters, it costs you nothing, explaining the problem and how it's outrageous that an update could ruin your device. You shouldn't have to take it to a random guy to get it fixed or anything here, if the problem is allegedly purely software.
By Crumb$ Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:19 pm
Yeah, you should read up on what rights you have. As Tutor mentioned, in the UK we have up to six years to make a claim on something that isn't working as it reasonably should. It requires some effort, but for something that expensive I would be making the case. Also, it would be a case against the retailer, not Akai. It does suck that Akais customer services are almost non existent.

This idea that just because something is out of a 1 year warranty, and therefore something that you just have to eat, is bullsh*t. People need to stand up against poor standards. We're paying a lot of money for something that is suppose dto be made to a high standard, and should last a long time. I don't think anyone on this forum would buy an MPC from a store with a wad of hard earned cash, if the store said to them "have fun, this thing will only work for two years". I just had a £50 mouse start malfunctioning 13 months after buying it. I contacted the place I bought it from, and initially they said it was out of warranty, nothing happening. I managed to speak to someone in their head office (as opposed to a kid on the till) and I politely stated my case. For £50 I wasn't going to take it any further than that, but luckily the guy saw my point and sent me out a b-stock replacement. If it had been a 2 grand synth or a laptop, I would be taking it to the claims court.

I just think that for people who can't afford to throw money away, or people who want to put the effort in, it's worth finding out what rights you have. And, its no use asking someone on the shop floor because they rarely know anything past their own store policy.

Just as an example here is a nicely laid out statement from Apple for UK statutory rights. Even if it doesn't help the OP, it's worth noting just to pass on..

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/
By Schnooker Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:36 am
Howdy!
I dropped the brick off today at a gent who may be able to help..
I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

I just wanted to take a moment to truly thank everyone who’s tried to help me with this.
I can’t begin to explain how let down by Akai I am, warranty or not - customer service is huge in my life, and to be ignored in the way they appear to be so good at.. really cements my determination to never buy another product from them.

You guys, on the other hand are the true unsung heroes, and I’ll always smile when I hear the name Akai, cause you all made the entire shit show worthwhile.

My deepest gratitude.
Stephen
By EnochLight Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:01 am
Schnooker wrote:Howdy!

I just wanted to take a moment to truly thank everyone who’s tried to help me with this.
I can’t begin to explain how let down by Akai I am, warranty or not - customer service is huge in my life, and to be ignored in the way they appear to be so good at.. really cements my determination to never buy another product from them.

You guys, on the other hand are the true unsung heroes, and I’ll always smile when I hear the name Akai, cause you all made the entire shit show worthwhile.

My deepest gratitude.
Stephen

That's great to hear. BTW, no one was suggesting it was "your fault". :hmmm: :lol: :lol: :lol: Like you said, SHIT HAPPENS. It just is. To be clear, it's not Akai's fault either - it lasted the year they guaranteed it would.
By Crumb$ Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:54 pm
EnochLight wrote:...it's not Akai's fault either - it lasted the year they guaranteed it would.

I think thats open to debate... Just because a manufacture gives a guarantee, it does not trump the law.

As far as I can tell, the warranty/guarantee is from inMusic, not Akai. If you buy an Akai product, you actually get a three year warranty.

Taken from inMusic Brands t'&c's state (for purchases in the United States)

5. How does state law apply to this warranty? SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR
LIMITATIONS OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY
LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO PURCHASER.

This Limited Warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights, which vary from one jurisdiction to another.

Schnooker, there is a red button inside the Live that is labelled 'Recovery'. I don't know what exactly it does, maybe it's the same as what you already tried with the button combinations, but it's Just something to note... Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Last edited by Crumb$ on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Straker Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:13 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Schnooker wrote:Howdy!

You guys, on the other hand are the true unsung heroes, and I’ll always smile when I hear the name Akai, cause you all made the entire **** show worthwhile.

My deepest gratitude.
Stephen

That's great to hear. BTW, no one was suggesting it was "your fault". :hmmm: :lol: :lol: :lol: Like you said, **** HAPPENS. It just is. To be clear, it's not Akai's fault either - it lasted the year they guaranteed it would.

You are right, at the end it's nobody fault, but I can clearly understand the stress of mr. Stephen.
And it's true Akai is not so helpful in many ways, it has never been according to complains of the last decades.
Let's hope all gets sorted out anyway.
By EnochLight Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 pm
I mean don't get me wrong - if my Live II died after just 2 or 3 years, I'd be raging as well. But I wouldn't expect Akai to offer repair services or help me beyond recommending to send it out for repair (which, it appears that's what happened). Either way, glad the OP got things sorted.
By Ultros Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:54 pm
This thread makes me sad, i wish i had enough money set asside to offer him something for this unit because i can already see whats going to happen here... his friend is gonna look at it, make no progress, clap his hands and call it dead and i could fix it in about 30 mins with a screw driver and ft232 serial uart.

in theory they need to hook up the uart, trick the unit into the "usb update mode" to hang the system long enough to be able to manually run the updater script from the uart terminal... it sounds easy and it is for anyone whos familiar with linux but its not something someone with no familiarity can pull off.
By Schnooker Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:37 pm
Hello.

I’m trying to upload a few pictures here, but am having problems with online hosting.
Can anyone help an old fart!!

TY!
By Crumb$ Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:04 am
Schnooker wrote:Hello.

I’m trying to upload a few pictures here, but am having problems with online hosting.
Can anyone help an old fart!!

TY!

I use this website to upload them to.

https://postimages.org

Then you copy the direct link, and use the 'insert image' thing here in the thread. Hopefully thats clear...but just ask if not.
By jmctenseg Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:09 am
My MPC X has the same problem. It goes through the boot process for about 40 seconds, shows the main screen then within less than1 second displays 'Shutting Down' and shuts down. AKAI support is absolutely no help.
By Schnooker Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:32 pm
Ok.

The plot has.. not just thickened.. EXPLODED!!

Had a gent here look at the Brick over the weekend, and the images underneath are what he found..

One board is completely done, and the other may be able to be salvaged, but we're not sure - maybe just a fuse?
Now, to me, how on Earth can something like this happen to a 2 year old machine, that's been lovingly cared for.. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Akai sent me ANOTHER questionnaire on their alleged 'support', and yet again, I filled it out with as much info as I could offer, but I doubt they'll step-up here.

I just don't know what to do..