MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Schnooker Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:34 pm
jmctenseg wrote:My MPC X has the same problem. It goes through the boot process for about 40 seconds, shows the main screen then within less than1 second displays 'Shutting Down' and shuts down. AKAI support is absolutely no help.

..you poor fellow - apparently, mine blew up on two boards..

Let me know if I can help you in any way..

Stephen
By Schnooker Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:35 pm
Crumb$ wrote:
Schnooker wrote:Hello.

I’m trying to upload a few pictures here, but am having problems with online hosting.
Can anyone help an old fart!!

TY!

I use this website to upload them to.

https://postimages.org

Then you copy the direct link, and use the 'insert image' thing here in the thread. Hopefully thats clear...but just ask if not.

Thank you so much.. it worked a charm!!
By Schnooker Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:46 pm
I absolutely feel something has to be done, as there's another chap on this thread, who's X is also experiencing the exact same issue - hopefully his won't blow their trousers off like mine did - as soon as two instances of the exact same issue occur, which result in complete non-use of the machine, I believe it's a manufacturing fault, and thus, should be taken care of as such. WE DID NOT BREAK THESE MACHINES - THEY BROKE ON THEIR OWN DUE TO EITHER FAULTY PARTS, OR BAD PROGRAMMING..
By 40Beatz Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:08 pm
I have a Question...Not sure if you've already stated it, but was this A Brand New MPC when you bought it, or was it Sale, Refurbished, etc?

Bcz that Burn mark on the Headphone Board, is crazy! There's No Components right there. I wonder if it had been worked on before and Possibly the Previous Owner/Shop left a Hot Ribbon Connector/Cable Unhooked, causing a Bad Short?
By Schnooker Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:17 pm
I bought it brand new from MPC Stuff in July of 2019.
I heard good things about MPC Stuff, so I’m guessing it’s just a bad unit..

$1300 plus shipping is like a kick in the balls, and Akai are doing absolutely nothing.
By EnochLight Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:23 pm
Schnooker wrote:I bought it brand new from MPC Stuff in July of 2019.

$1300 plus shipping is like a kick in the balls, and Akai are doing absolutely nothing.

Wait... $1300 for an X??! Are you sure it was brand new?? The X sells for $2300 USD brand new (though the X might have had a launch price of $2000 USD)...
By Schnooker Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:30 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Schnooker wrote:I bought it brand new from MPC Stuff in July of 2019.

Wait... $1300 for an X??! Are you sure it was brand new?? The X sells for $2300 USD brand new (though the X might have had a launch price of $2000 USD)...

NO NO NO, the MPCX was $2000 - I meant to get it fixed was going to be about $1300 - sorry for confusion - I wish it was only $1300 for a brand new one.
By Crumb$ Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 pm
I'm surprised you didn't/couldn't smell that... Have you spoken to anyone at MPC Stuff? I would be starting with the retailer first, and not the kid answering the phone, but management.

Does anyone have a schematic for the X?
By Schnooker Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:11 pm
I actually thought that myself, but I haven’t smelled anything.. certainly, I think I would have known if there was a burning smell.
I’m wondering how our smoke detectors didn’t go off either?
By Ultros Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:04 pm
oof! i missed a page reading i guess :( sad..
Last edited by Ultros on Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ultros Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:44 pm
SuperKonquer wrote:Wait so are you saying this software error can cause physical components to burn out?

Haha i guess i skipped a page. i guess *i* need to read lolol
By Monotremata Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:06 am
Schnooker wrote:I absolutely feel something has to be done, as there's another chap on this thread, who's X is also experiencing the exact same issue - hopefully his won't blow their trousers off like mine did - as soon as two instances of the exact same issue occur, which result in complete non-use of the machine, I believe it's a manufacturing fault, and thus, should be taken care of as such. WE DID NOT BREAK THESE MACHINES - THEY BROKE ON THEIR OWN DUE TO EITHER FAULTY PARTS, OR BAD PROGRAMMING..

It takes A LOT more than two cases of a unit breaking down before anyone can call it a design fault. You have no clue WHY the other persons MPC stopped working, you only know why YOURS did. There are plenty of parts inside the MPC that can fail, it happens, its the nature of electronics. If this were a design fault, you would bet we would have seen plenty of this on this very forum where it seems a majority of folks are X owners compared to say Gearslutz where everyone seems to own a One or Live II. With the exception of the CV board and the extra two outputs (and inputs) the X has, the MPCs are all exactly the same inside. If this were a manufacturing issue, we would have all 4 models blowing up left and right and frankly, thats just not happening at all. My Live is about to hit its third birthday in a month or two, not a single issue with that thing from day 1 here.
By 40Beatz Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:43 pm
Yea Im lookin at Mine right now...And that One Board is the Headphone/SD Card Circuit Board. No High Current flowin thru that Joint. Unless I plug somethin Hot into one of Those Foot Switch Inputs.