MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Schnooker Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I really think you guys put too much emphasis on manufacturer's warranty. If you are in the US, look into 'implied warranties', which is basically similar to what we have in the UK, i.e. that all products should have a 'reasonable' life span, regardless of the manufacturer warranty. You should definitely not just let it drop, 2 years is NOT an acceptable lifespan for pro audio gear, especially if not used in a commercial environment.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/mag ... /index.htm

As I stated, I’ve had zero reply from Alain themselves, which is crap, and slightly suspicious..
By jabberwalky Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:58 pm
Warranty or not, the way that they handled your claim is pretty weak. One time I sent Novation an issue with an Ultranova synth I bought USED, and they responded in a day and for very low cost sent me an entirely new control board to replace my dead one. There was no warranty ever, they just gave a shit.
By Schnooker Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:34 am
Not a damned thing!
Tried connecting many audio devices:
Zoom M6
Iconnect Midi
Zoom U44
Notation Hub
Yamaha MG12XU

MPC just hangs with no audio device detected and then shuts down.
There is no data/communication between any USB port, and even the SD card, and anything connected to any port.
To me, this is strange, as it’s been suggested that the Carrier board is faulty, but is the SD card connected to the Carrier board?

Is it possible to try and reinstall firmware via the SSD bay, or just that only really plausible with USB ports?
By Ultros Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:34 am
Mind blowing! well dont worry dude i'm still confident you can fix it.

To run an update: Place your firmware on the root of your sd or usb drive then you can force the mpc into update mode like so.

hold down record + stop + play start buttons down, then press the power button.

it should then enter update mode and reinstall.
By Droe33 Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:43 am
If you have an ssd or anything, take it all out.
Sounds like an odd issue. I wanna hear what happens in the future.
Hopefully its all good.
By Schnooker Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:06 pm
Hi guys!
Tried the aforementioned rec + stop + play method, but nothing - wouldn’t even enter update mode.
It was suggested by Aaron at Akai to use the 16 step + c + next seq method, which does boot into offline update mode, but this method just hangs on the update page.

Thanks again chaps!
By SakisX Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:56 pm
Another option is to replace and reflash the internal sd card where the firmware is
But if it's hardware malfunction , it won't fix anything
Strangely , it's the 3d time I read about this particular error and it affects the X
By Schnooker Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:19 pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you - it’s not just me!
It’s completely unsatisfactory that Akai are having nothing to do with this.
It’s also odd that if it is a hardware failure on the Carrier PCB board, then why is every replacement board sold out?

There’s something very rotten in Denmark..
By Monotremata Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:19 pm
Schnooker wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you - it’s not just me!
It’s completely unsatisfactory that Akai are having nothing to do with this.
It’s also odd that if it is a hardware failure on the Carrier PCB board, then why is every replacement board sold out?

There’s something very rotten in Denmark..

You are aware that there is a great big electronics manufacturing shortage going on because of the pandemic for like the last year?
You know companies like GM are shutting down production factories for their cars, Im pretty sure Akai is a very low man on the world totem pole and are having the same trouble getting parts.
By Schnooker Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:41 pm
..off course.. I'm just having some fun at Akai's expense, as they truly do not give the proverbial flying phluck about their customers.

On a side-note, I've been scouting about for some repair prices, and the cheapest I'm looking at (if the PCB has to be replaced) is going to be around the $600 mark! This price includes shipping to & from..

I'm also willing to bet this is not an isolated incident, and if you're reading this thread, and are looking into buying an MPC X, please do your research before parting with your hard earned cash.
By 40Beatz Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:50 pm
I seen one Guy who Bricked his MPC!! His Power went out while he was Updating it. Not saying this happened to you, but it has happened....And thats something AKAI doesn't cover!
By Schnooker Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:26 pm
..yeah, shit happens, and dem da breaks.. but it's a kick in the stones!
I think what's really bugging me is that it really wasn't my fault.
I'm dead careful with my gear, and forgive me for being naive, but when you buy a really pricey item from a company like Akai, the last thing you expect to hear is a major component has died on you, and you're looking at half a grand+ to get it fixed, especially after two years of pretty light use. I do have a pretty big problem with that!

Add, that it's more than likely that this is a hardware failure that by now, Akai probably are well aware off, I think it's really shitty all' round.

Off course, then there's the fact that Akai HQ completely ignore your request for help..

never, ever again!
By Ultros Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:09 pm
yeah, thats not your fault. if they wont fix it keep the unit anyways. there is a UART header on the board if you are familiar with linux and ft233 serial connection you can maybe boot it into usb update mode so it idles and then serial uart into it then terminate the tethered usb updater and instead execute the usb/sd image updater script.. but that takes some skill and i dont expect everyone to be an embedded electronics wizard.

if you're from ontario canada i can likely fix it for you.
By Schnooker Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:05 am
Hi, and yes, no extended warranty.
Thank you for the suggestion - I had a glimmer of hope for a little while.