MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Asadthedudd Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 pm
When i opened the box at the store to check if the product is good. I noticed the live 2 pad was less sensitive in the dead cente and the corner of the rubber was more sensitive to my taps; however, i didn't notice this in one and MPC one pads responded the same throughout the pad regardless of whether i hit it in the middle or corner of the pads. I took the one home and claimed warranty on live 2.

Yes i cranked up the threshold to less force and the pad sensitivity to most sensitive. I also turned off TC and turned on full level. I still noticed that the center of the pad was less sensitive to my taps than the corner of the pad.

Live 2 owners is the unit faulty? Did i do the right thing? Or the pads of it are supposed to be like that? I read other few same complaints on reddit and this forum about how people said that the pad is less sensitive in the middle and more sensitive in the corner. I dont think its right, so i claimed a replacement on the live 2 retro

If any live 2 retro owners out there can help me out regarding this, its such a mood killer :(
By mr_debauch Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:31 am
wow, you are not kidding bro... i actually am surprised that happened... had to be a complete accident. i bought the live 1 when it was a new product and thought the pads were great... never had any type of thing like that. especially when we know how the old classic mpcs had a learning curve to using them to figure out the quirks.

Strange though. Is the solution to do some kind of mpc stuff after market thing?
By HouseWithoutMouse Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:44 am
MPC-Tutor had the correct solution: return the Retro cr*p for a refund. If you can't return it anymore, then no solutions have been presented for that situation. Why would anyone even want to buy that sh*t from you, now that the internet knows it's a defective product? Awaiting for experiences from users who've tried MPC Stuff replacement parts, but it's a relatively new product, so maybe nobody has tried that yet. In a few years we will see.
By Asadthedudd Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:21 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Yes, I made a topic about this exact issue:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211951

Hey man love your MPC BIBLE Btw

I think that we might have been unlucky with our units.
I know a lot of dudes on instagram rocking the retro edition with no faults whatsoever

Juanton Beats
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTksDi7gDTD ... _copy_link

Shogun Beats
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPA4ZnEHHji ... _copy_link

another example
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTKmJtRnnCN ... _copy_link

I think our units might be from a faulty batch or the pad placement during production was done with laziness!

I asked for a replaced unit. Whenever I buy a musical gear or drum machine. I check that sh*t at the store right away when I go to pick it up. Luckily, i pointed out this issue right out the box at the store, so they admitted that it's a flonky piece.

Did you talk to anyone using the retro joint? what was their thoughts and feedbacks?
Last edited by Asadthedudd on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Asadthedudd Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:26 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:MPC-Tutor had the correct solution: return the Retro cr*p for a refund. If you can't return it anymore, then no solutions have been presented for that situation. Why would anyone even want to buy that sh*t from you, now that the internet knows it's a defective product? Awaiting for experiences from users who've tried MPC Stuff replacement parts, but it's a relatively new product, so maybe nobody has tried that yet. In a few years we will see.

First, i will not sell someone a faulty unit. My conscious will not allow me to do that. I don't play like that lol.

Btw, it's not only the live 2 retro where people are coming across hardware faults. I had a live mk1 where the pads would trigger themselves

What pisses me off that why me though lmao! I see dudes on IG rocking their live 2 retro finger drumming and shizzz!

I didnt ask for a full refund but a replacement unit. Since i see people with live 2 retros out there with no issues, hopefully i get a fixed unit or atleast the base live 2 model.
By Asadthedudd Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:47 pm
mr_debauch wrote:wow, you are not kidding bro... i actually am surprised that happened... had to be a complete accident. i bought the live 1 when it was a new product and thought the pads were great... never had any type of thing like that. especially when we know how the old classic mpcs had a learning curve to using them to figure out the quirks.

Strange though. Is the solution to do some kind of mpc stuff after market thing?

I think they need to reevaluate their production process and see where the issue in these units are coming from. It's just weird. You don't expect such things from a product that you drop $1200 on.

And yes, most of the people out there dont face issues like these. There are literally hundreds of people with live 2 retros out there who are using it without any issues.

what pisses me off though are the ones that say, "yOu hAvE tO bReAk tHe PadS iN"

Like bro, i get it rubber composite takes time to soften up a bit. Yes, pads take time to break in but when you do a 1/16 hi hat roll and your unit only register half of the hits in the middle of the pad, then its definitely not okay.

I really love MPC. I hope my replacement unit is A-Okay. Can't wait to cook some beats. For now, i just have MPC One.
By kja Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:41 am
That sucks.. They should replace.. mine works perfect not to rub it in but just for reference, it is definitely not all of them.
By kidkeitel Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:41 pm
Asadthedudd wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:MPC-Tutor had the correct solution: return the Retro cr*p for a refund. If you can't return it anymore, then no solutions have been presented for that situation. Why would anyone even want to buy that sh*t from you, now that the internet knows it's a defective product? Awaiting for experiences from users who've tried MPC Stuff replacement parts, but it's a relatively new product, so maybe nobody has tried that yet. In a few years we will see.

First, i will not sell someone a faulty unit. My conscious will not allow me to do that. I don't play like that lol.

Btw, it's not only the live 2 retro where people are coming across hardware faults. I had a live mk1 where the pads would trigger themselves

What pisses me off that why me though lmao! I see dudes on IG rocking their live 2 retro finger drumming and shizzz!

I didnt ask for a full refund but a replacement unit. Since i see people with live 2 retros out there with no issues, hopefully i get a fixed unit or atleast the base live 2 model.

Don't be fooled by the ig videos. Every single person I know personally has had issues with their unit, some more than others. They post beats (when it works) but not the horror stories.

I'm on my 2nd retro One (first unit had faulty headphone jack). It came warped (like a diner table) I have to place a piece of paper so it sits flat. It won't update after 2.10 and downgrading doesn't work, constantly freezes now (rarely did before).

Ive spent more time on the phone "troubleshooting" with Akai than making beats.

I don't think I have the patience to deal with a 3rd unit.
By Droe33 Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:21 pm
I had a "Squishy Pad" Issues. It was obvious. I showed my retailer and they could see it right away. The new one I got is good so far but honestly I have been making more music on the X lately than the Live2.
I'm just stuck in school so it's hard to find time these days when I'm still finishing projects.
By Ultros Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:17 pm
InMusic makes cheap quality shit using cheap components and sells it to us at high dollar value. It's no surprise that some of their units are faulty. Look at their entire product line. When you really take a good look at what they have to offer it becomes apparent that InMusic brands are trashy entry-level gear. Whether people are willing to admit it is another thing. If you're convinced that your akai hardware is worth what you pay for it, then you are part of the problem as to why the market is flooded with trashy products such as controllers, faulty beat machines released while still under development and so on.

However i feel bad for the original poster because he clearly invested alot of time, energy, and money as we all do into something that ended up being sub-par.

I am not an inmusic fan at all. Numark, denon, akai, m-audio, marantz you name it once InMusic bought them they all went to making trashy gear that will be obsolete as the abacus in moments.
By Asadthedudd Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:39 pm
Ultros wrote:InMusic makes cheap quality **** using cheap components and sells it to us at high dollar value. It's no surprise that some of their units are faulty. Look at their entire product line. When you really take a good look at what they have to offer it becomes apparent that InMusic brands are trashy entry-level gear. Whether people are willing to admit it is another thing. If you're convinced that your akai hardware is worth what you pay for it, then you are part of the problem as to why the market is flooded with trashy products such as controllers, faulty beat machines released while still under development and so on.

However i feel bad for the original poster because he clearly invested alot of time, energy, and money as we all do into something that ended up being sub-par.

I am not an inmusic fan at all. Numark, denon, akai, m-audio, marantz you name it once InMusic bought them they all went to making trashy gear that will be obsolete as the abacus in moments.

I feel you!

Their quality control is very sub par

However i did opt for a replacement unit