MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Noobstudioguy Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:45 pm
Hi guys,

Getting an mpc live tomorrow, im new to the forums.

I'm gonna get an external ssd for my sample libraries, need an SD for saving projects.

What should I go with?

SanDisk 300mbps @ 32gb

Or

SanDisk 170mbps @ 128gb
By fmq75 Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 pm
Noobstudioguy wrote:Hi guys,

I'm gonna get an external ssd for my sample libraries, need an SD for saving projects.

What should I go with?

SanDisk 300mbps @ 32gb

Or

SanDisk 170mbps @ 128gb

of course,the faster the better.I have a sandisk extreme pro with 128GB (and i`m happy with it) but i also store my libs on it.If you store only projects i would go for the faster but smaller one.

That said,i don`t know if the mpc can even make use of very fast transfer speeds or where the limit is.Others might chime in and clear it up.
By NearTao Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:43 pm
The MPC isn't exactly screaming when accessing disks... whether internal SSD drive or anything else. I'd value reliability and size over cutting edge speed. It's not a problem to do it, but otherwise you'll end up spending money on speed the you cannot take advantage of.
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:09 pm
There is no continuous disk streaming (yet). The MPC uses the "disk" i.e. SD card only when (1) loading/saving a project, or (2) loading/changing sounds and samples. During "performance" there is no disk access, everything is handled in RAM.
By Keitomine Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 am
I'm using a 32GB micro sd card with the SD converter, and I don't see much issue. It's slower than my internal SSD drive, but that's besides the point. I did have a 128 GB sd card, but I didn't see the point, so I'm using it in a different device.
By KaoticShock Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 pm
When I first got my Live MKI back in 2017, I got a 64 GB 80Mbps SanDisk Micro SD. I used it until about 3 weeks ago when it was almost full. I recently purchased a Lexar 256GB 250MBps SD Card and I can tell you that the speed is definitely a noticeable difference when saving/loading projects, Keygroup programs, Expansions, etc. My logic was go as fast and as big as possible without spending too much so I got lucky and the new card was only $72. I significantly increased my overall storage and speed.
By Ibunshi Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am
I'd rather have a big over a fast hard drive, because I barely notice that there's all that much loading going on anyway.. And that includes projects that are running out of space.
By EnochLight Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:14 pm
Noobstudioguy wrote:Hi guys,

What should I go with?

SanDisk 300mbps @ 32gb

Or

SanDisk 170mbps @ 128gb

Neither. I would go with any decent quality internal SSD for your MPC Live II for main storage and your Synth content folder, and use any particular SD Card or external USB SSD or whatever else you want for your secondary. Whatever you choose, do NOT - I repeat - do NOT use your built-in factory storage to install or store anything on.