MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Patientrichard Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:06 pm
Tomorrow I am putting an internal drive into my mpc live.

Currently my projects are on and sd card, and samples are on a USB stick.

I plan to move all my samples to the internal drive, and free up the USB port.

When I go to load my projects, will the live be able to find the samples on the new drive?

Will it result in projects loading without the samples?

If the latter, can I point the live in the direction of the internal drive, and it will grab missing samples from there? (like with ableton for instance)

Thanks
By MPC-Tutor Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:13 pm
When you save a project it creates a 'projectData' folder which contains new copies of your samples, the original samples are not referenced (it's completely different to the way many DAWs work). This makes your project nice and portable, so moving your projects is not a problem as long as you move the 'XPJ' file (the project settings) and the separate ProjectData folder. These are both saved to the same location. so for a project called 'Foo Bar', the project comprises of 'Foo Bar.xpj', and a folder called Foo Bar_[ProjectData] (which contains all your samples, programs, sequences etc).

But if you save all your projects to a specific folder, just copy that whole folder over to your new drive.