MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Employeediscount Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:16 am
Hey guys so I tried to take things into my own hands and fix my mpc live thinking it’d be a simple fix like my old mpc1000 when I’d put in new tact switches , anyway , I dropped it onto the ground months ago and the volume pot is what contacted the ground , I took it all apart and the pot was snapped out by the impact . Tried to fix it myself but ended up using the sautering iron to much on the board getting the old posts out And it’s a mess , also while doing that I like a pro hit a ribbon cable with the metal and melted just the very edge of the ribbon , so I’m thinking my only options now now are to try put in the new pot and just see if it starts up again , or buy a new board and a new ribbon cable and just learn my lesson that I’m not as skilled as I thought repairing Mpcs, do you guys think if I start it up and the ribbon cable is to fried the whole thing will be ruined soon as I plug in the battery again?
By SuperKonquer Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:55 pm
You are asking for trouble sending voltage through a cable you know is damaged. Plus If you don't possess the confidence and skill needed to clean up your botched soldering job and redo it functionally doing anything other then spending some extra dough and taking the easier route seems ill advised. A third option is have repairman solder your component on get a new cable then you finish it up. It may be hard finding a local technician that would just do that component and not want to charge a "I fixed your expensive precious drum machine"g6yuh fee. Replacing the board seems like the most solid solution.
By NearTao Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:48 pm
my concern with the ribbon cable is that you might have shorted something. If you did, this could destroy a lot of stuff.

It sounds like you need to get the volume potentiometer and the ribbon cable replaced. You might still be able to do it, but it sounds like you might need to slow down and take your time if you wanted to try it again. Otherwise I'd suggest trying to find a local repairman and see if they might be willing to help you out and see if you can get an estimate quote.
By Ill-Green Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:53 am
Can you upload a picture? Yeah, the ribbon is the most sensitive part of any circuit. Even just bending that ribbon will give you all sorts of head-breaking stress especially when you don't know what you doing. Most likely needs to be replaced. You can try MPCstuff.com, they used to provide how-to info for their parts.