MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Stevie Boi 69 Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:25 pm
Hi!

I just upgraded from 2000xl to the Live II

I'm trying to get used to some new features, in particular the ´16 Level´ function. This is causing some issues/confusion.

I have assigned a kick and snare to Pad Bank 1 on Track 1 under Program 001.

Next - I select Pad Bank B to ad a new sample (I've sampled my voice) then select ´16 Level´.
This enables the note to be assigned to all 16 pads at different pitches.

So far so good.

Except now I can no longer select between Pad Banks. When I hit the pads, they play the rep -pitched sample assigned to pad bank B. But I'm stuck on Pad Bank A. No matter which Pad Bank I select, it only says on the screen ´Bank A´.
Now I can only ´play´those sounds (vocal sample) from pad bank B. No other banks, tracks, pads... ANYTHING.

When I hit ´PLAY´I can still hear what I recorded from Pad Bank A but I just can't access it.
I can't access anything except for the vocal sample that I assigned to Pad Bank B.

Why can I no longer select different banks or access different sounds???
By MPC-Tutor Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 pm
That's how 16 levels works, it temporarily 'takes over' all 16 pads. With 16 levels engaged, there are effectively no banks and no other samples. Just that one pad assigned to the 16 physical pads, all with the progressive tunings (or whatever parameter you chose). You cannot play any other sounds with 16 levels enabled. Use it to perform, say, a bass line or melody line over a previously recorded sequence, then switch it off to return to 'normal' mode.

If you want more flexibility, assign your sample to a keygroup program - this will tune your sample across the pads so you can play it like an instrument, but it doesn't 'take over' your pads. Assign the keygroup program to one track, and your kit to another, You can now access both programs as you wish, by either selecting the relevant track or assigning each track to its own MIDI controller.
By NearTao Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:56 pm
One thing I'll also add is that if your MPC seems to be giving you a hard time assigning samples... check to make sure that you turn 16-levels off because otherwise it can make things somewhat confusing because what you play and what you hear are likely to be different.
By Stevie Boi 69 Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:09 pm
Thank you both so much! Man that was doing my head in haha.

Ok, so I've turned '16 levels' off and now I can access the other pad banks where I have assigned other samples. Phew!
Now though, when I go back to pad bank A, It has the original sample assigned to the bank on pad 1, but then the rest of the pads (2 to 16) are playing what's been assigned to pad bank B. Not a big deal, but I'd like to know why that is and what I'm doing wrong just so that it helps me understand for future reference.