MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By justineastwick Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:42 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Costs more than the MPC! If you put a $750 drive in your mpc better make sure you always remember to eject it properly when disconnecting from controller mode, easily forgotten and can quickly get damaged

LOL, most definitely! I’d probably put some type of insurance on it too. Do you think the MPC Live/Live 2 and MPC X can even read storage capacities this high?
By kja Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:58 pm
Why?? Even if you have libraries of samples for days you wouldn't take a fifth of that.. just a waste of money.. I would rather get a better quality one then just a astronomically big one.
By KaoticShock Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:37 pm
I think 8TB is overkill. I've never had a drive over 1TB in a personal computer and I currently have a 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD in my Live MK1. Works fast and perfectly fine. I would consider myself to have a large sample library consisting of 300 GB, so I haven't run into any storage issues. Also, I've read from various sources (MPC Tutor, Sound on Sound, etc.) that the maximum storage size for the drive in the MPC is 2TB.
By KaoticShock Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 pm
kja wrote:Why?? Even if you have libraries of samples for days you wouldn't take a fifth of that.. just a waste of money.. I would rather get a better quality one then just a astronomically big one.

Are there any SSDs faster than 560Mbps? When I was shopping on Amazon they all seemed to be the same speed so the only "quality" difference is brand preference.
By kja Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:43 am
I mean some are designed to last much longer.. for instance the SanDisk ultra ssd has a system of regulating itself so it can last much longer then a normal ssd.. it is also three times the price if you look at ones with the same size.. I'm sure there are others that are built to last extremely long too but I always rock SanDisk because they are the og.
By justineastwick Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:48 pm
KaoticShock wrote:I think 8TB is overkill. I've never had a drive over 1TB in a personal computer and I currently have a 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD in my Live MK1. Works fast and perfectly fine. I would consider myself to have a large sample library consisting of 300 GB, so I haven't run into any storage issues. Also, I've read from various sources (MPC Tutor, Sound on Sound, etc.) that the maximum storage size for the drive in the MPC is 2TB.

I have a 1TB HDD in my MPC Live right now. A few months ago, I put a 256GB microSD card in my MPC Live.

Planning to swap out the microSD card for a bigger one, but I’ll probably wait until I get the MPC Live 2.

When I get a MPC Live 2, I’m planning on putting a 1TB SSD and a 1TB microSD card in it.

I did hear the maximum was 2TB as well, but I don’t think it was officially from Akai themselves.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:57 pm
justineastwick wrote:LOL, most definitely! I’d probably put some type of insurance on it too. Do you think the MPC Live/Live 2 and MPC X can even read storage capacities this high?

I'm not sure which version of Linux that the MPC is running on, but Ubuntu can handle drives as large as 1 Exabyte (that's 1,048,576 TB)! That said, partition size may be a different problem.

Personally I think that 8 TB is overkill for any MPC. I have a 1 TB SSD in my MPC (and Force) and haven't even gotten close to filling it up. Obviously, YMMV...
Last edited by EnochLight on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:59 pm
KaoticShock wrote:
kja wrote:Why?? Even if you have libraries of samples for days you wouldn't take a fifth of that.. just a waste of money.. I would rather get a better quality one then just a astronomically big one.

Are there any SSDs faster than 560Mbps? When I was shopping on Amazon they all seemed to be the same speed so the only "quality" difference is brand preference.

Be careful regarding speed as the internal SATA port is actually just an adapter connected directly to the internal USB bus, so you'll only get a maximum of USB 3 speeds no matter how fast the SSD is.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm
The theoretical transfer speed of USB 3.0 is 4.8 Gbit/s (600MBps), but we all know the real-world performance is far lower than that.
By NearTao Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:42 pm
I know we all have different workflows... so recording out stems and audio tracks can take a lot of space... but I do have to wonder who's actually using all that storage vs just carrying around a huge amount of potential sounds but using less than 0.1% of what is on the drive :D

I've got a 2TB drive in my Live and find it just allows me to hoard tons of sounds that I never actually use... sure you cannot use it if you don't have it... but you also cannot use it if you don't remember that you had it or where you put it either :)