MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Rank31 Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:59 am
Hi,

I’d like to find a cheap companion to my MPC One (which I love). Trying to find the most valuable gear below 400€ I hesitate between:

Elektron Model:Cycles
Dreadbox Typhon
Roland MC101
Arturia Microfreak

I know these machines are very different but if you can share advices and experiences with them I’d appreciate.

Thanks
By 64hz Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:23 am
I would go for a monophonic analogue synth.
By 83dude Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:50 am
Save the money, wait, and see what you need instead of what you desire ATM.

But get an MPC. You won‘t know what you missed without one. :worthy:
By Rank31 Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:28 am
I already have a MPC One and love it. That my only gear today. I had a lot of machines in the past (Monomachine, Analog 4, MachineDrum, Evolver, Blofeld, Electribe, etc…). The MPC One is by far the best gear I ever had.

I still hope that Akai will provide a FM synth pluggin in the next updates. The current pluggins cover very well the VA and rompler domains IMO.

An analog synth would be a great add.
By Neodymium Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:43 am
MIcrofreak is next on my list. wanted montsh for it to come into stock and then ASM released the Explorer. Both should be intome for my birthday and a missive national holiday.

Microfreak running in through the input with access the the MPCOne's FX should be really inspiring to use. You could also Autosample to create a bigger ployphony synth and sample one shots Will give you a simple keyboard of sorts. I love my bassstation2 for this.

Have you seen the Andrew Huang one synth challenge.
By ace_of_dub Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:54 am
Hype already does FM (and wavetables). And while it's simple 2 operator FM, it's enough to generate a lot of the classic FM sounds heard in EDM. Hype is literally a mini Omnisphere WITHIN THE MPC One. Not many people realize how much powerful it is, despite its simple UI.

Honestly, I'd just get a good master keyboard like a Launchkey. the Microfreak is of very little value when already owning an MPC One.
By HouseWithoutMouse Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:03 am
I totally understand using separate instruments. Any standalone instrument can be of great value, for doing the kind of music that's done with multiple instruments. You get dedicated controls that show the effective settings, grab a knob and it does what it does always without going into menus using the dreaded touchscreen (and thus also disturbing the view that there was previously), there's no impact to the MPC's CPU and memory load, no LOADING TIMES, you might get a separate standalone sequencer or arpeggiator that you can sync with the MPC.

I've tried using the Roland JD-Xi and Behringer MS-1 with the MPC One, and both combinations allowed new and unique things. Thinking of getting a set of Korg Volca boxes.
By Neodymium Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:12 am
ace_of_dub wrote:Hype already does FM (and wavetables). And while it's simple 2 operator FM, it's enough to generate a lot of the classic FM sounds heard in EDM. Hype is literally a mini Omnisphere WITHIN THE MPC One. Not many people realize how much powerful it is, despite its simple UI.

Honestly, I'd just get a good master keyboard like a Launchkey. the Microfreak is of very little value when already owning an MPC One.

By Neodymium Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:21 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I totally understand using separate instruments. Any standalone instrument can be of great value, for doing the kind of music that's done with multiple instruments. You get dedicated controls that show the effective settings, grab a knob and it does what it does always without going into menus using the dreaded touchscreen (and thus also disturbing the view that there was previously), there's no impact to the MPC's CPU and memory load, no LOADING TIMES, you might get a separate standalone sequencer or arpeggiator that you can sync with the MPC.

I've tried using the Roland JD-Xi and Behringer MS-1 with the MPC One, and both combinations allowed new and unique things. Thinking of getting a set of Korg Volca boxes.

Totally,

I have a a TD9, and running that through the onboard effects add so much, and it's fare more intuitive even with a handful of controls than the on screen. My Basstation is a joy for it's controls. I have the reface Electric Keyboard, which sounds better than the on board Electric Keys (Although I do like taking them on a different path) and Rhodes and piano sounds on Hype lack dynamics, I also have Modal Skuplt and Craft2, but these are a mix of on screen and accessible through the knobs, but you don't need to go through pages with the on-screen editor.

Now that I can pick up an 8 input Behringer interface, I'm looking forward to getting the ASM Explorer and Microfreak. And being to run everything thourgh the inputs and ix together should really take advantage of the MOCs flexibilty.
By Tabletop Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:39 am
Mc101 has some nice sounds if you dig a bit. Doesn't compare to the power of the MPC, but the sliders are nice.
Ipad with a bunch of apps is nice to have for sounds as well, and you could get a lot out of it for <$400
Last edited by Tabletop on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.