MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bobbye Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:20 pm
I am using Korg Gadget on the ipad which has (as a separate purchase) the wonderful odyssey as a software synth.

I have a few favorite sounds I come back to, so decided to re-create them on the new mpc odyssey.

after tweaking it to match what I have on the iPad, I am getting no where, the results are not even close
to what they sound like on the ipad.

I'm not great at programming synths, but I have learnt subtractive synthesis so understand all the parts that make up the sound (osc/vcf/vca/lfo etc).

Would appreciate any help as I'm clueless.
By bobbye Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 am
Thank mpc tutor, much appreciated !!!

here are 2 presets that I use a lot and modified minimally (a bass and a pad)
(gadget has the odessey split into 3 pages)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drlu92fa9mkbt ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xmhaknm7u1vz ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywfkf2xp90owl ... 3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48rhw95oyeof5 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug3mmxn3u6wsc ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4ts36eo13fay ... 3.jpg?dl=0

btw, why isn't anyone making / selling preset banks for the mpc synths
see lots of great sample library makers including yours, but no one is
making preset libraries (maybe 2.10 synths are new but tubesynth has
been around for a few years), I'll probably be the first to get any if you
make some.

I'll work on audio examples and post them here soon
Last edited by bobbye on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bobbye Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:01 pm
looking at the ipad odessey manual regarding the polyphony of the synth I see this :

polyphonic mode lets you perform using the number of voices specified by the total voice

VOICES...............................................................[MONO, 2POLY, 3POLY, 4POLY]

which is exactly what the mpc odessey has on the setting page (up to 4 voices)

but there is also this unison settings there that I do not see in the mpc odessey :

UNISON (unison voice)..................................................................[1...16]
Specifies the number of voices used when playing in unison mode.
The maximum number of voices depends on the VOICES (total voice) setting.
Unison simultaneously sounds the number of voices that you specify
here, with the output of VCO1 and VCO2 mixed.

VOICES (total voice)........................................................................[1...32]
Specifies the maximum number of notes that can played if VOICE
ASSIGN is set to "POLY" or when UNISON is used.

so I am confused - if max polyphony is 4 voices, how can the unison voices be 16 or 32 ?

Anyhow, even if I decrease the UNISON and VOICES in the ipad version to 1
the sound from it is very different from the sound on the mpc odessey.

still, bottom line here is why no pro sample makers make presets to the mpc synths ?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm
bobbye wrote:still, bottom line here is why no pro sample makers make presets to the mpc synths ?

I did included some tubesynth presets in the Source. TBH I haven't had any specific requests for presets so it's not been at the top of my priority list. Also until recently offering presets was a bit of a pain as you couldn't bulk import them, this is possible now with the new synths (although offering them as programs is also useful as you can include previews).

I will offer some presets eventually....
By bobbye Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 pm
I wasn’t aware I can import or export more than 1 program, am I missing something in the manual ?

So I am trying to write the same kind of music I did in a regular daw like Ableton or on the iPad (Korg gadget and nano studio 2) which is more synthwave or chillwave oriented,
and I feel that the programs in tube synth and hype are more oriented towards modern edm or hip hop.

Also looking at the sample libraries, almost all is hip hop, nice to see you have a few vintage synths, and I think there should be a lot more from those.

I’m sure that if I spend lots of time, I can tweak programs to be more what I like to hear,
but I am more interested in the music making than in the sound design, and think there are probably lots more like me who would be willing to pay for good preset libraries,
especially sounds that are more 80’s, because retro is back and going to be huge.

anyhow, just some food for thought.

MPC Tutor - do you think the missing unison feature in the MPC Odyssey might be the reason for the difference between the iPad version and the MPC version (I did not mention in the initial message that I turned the effects in the iPad off)
By 64hz Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm
There was a dude on gearslutz who made keygroups of all his synths. He put them on GS free of charge. I'm guessing it should be a quick Google search. Should help with your synth fix.
By Linen Associate Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:47 am
64hz wrote:There was a dude on gearslutz who made keygroups of all his synths. He put them on GS free of charge. I'm guessing it should be a quick Google search. Should help with your synth fix.

Thanks for the heads up, I think I found the thread you were referring to. Lots of goodies to the tune of more than 20 gigabytes worth (broken up into 1.9gb to 150mb .xpn files) and probably more than 60 gigabytes worth uncompressed. I haven't tried them all but the BoC packs are my favorite so far.
By EnochLight Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 am
bobbye wrote:btw, why isn't anyone making / selling preset banks for the mpc synths
see lots of great sample library makers including yours, but no one is
making preset libraries (maybe 2.10 synths are new but tubesynth has
been around for a few years), I'll probably be the first to get any if you
make some.

I second this request, as I am a total preset whore. :lol: I'd especially like to see some new Odyssey preset packs, but honestly I'd prefer to have these as Programs so effects chains can be saved with them (and audio previews inside the Expansion) and utilizing some of the new effects like the Granulator, Half Speed and Stutter . Don't really need any for Hype, but even Solina and Mellotron would be cool. But definitely Odyssey. That thing is a crazy bloopy bleepy FX machine! :worthy:
By fmq75 Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:54 am
Linen Associate wrote:
64hz wrote:There was a dude on gearslutz who made keygroups of all his synths. He put them on GS free of charge. I'm guessing it should be a quick Google search. Should help with your synth fix.

Thanks for the heads up, I think I found the thread you were referring to. Lots of goodies to the tune of more than 20 gigabytes worth (broken up into 1.9gb to 150mb .xpn files) and probably more than 60 gigabytes worth uncompressed. I haven't tried them all but the BoC packs are my favorite so far.

Do you mind to share the link? (pm is ok of course)