MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By treestump Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:42 pm
Gday,
I have been thinking about getting an MPC Live II. I am wondering if I am able to use a PC software VST with my midi controller keyboard and output that to the MPC live II?
Cheers!
By Ultros Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:00 pm
You can use the vst from a pc and capture it as an audio track using the mpc, or you can control the vst over midi as it were a dedicated hw synth. both require recording it into an audio track on the mpc though.
By Neodymium Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:49 pm
If you mean running the MPC in standalone mode, then Yes, but how you do it depends on the VST. If the VST runs in standalone mode, and you have a midi derive for the PC. Hook up the midi and audio device from the PC to the MPC and run the VST in standalone. If the VST doesn't run in stand alone, then you'll either need a DAW or a VST Host to host the VST.
By treestump Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:57 am
Neodymium wrote:If you mean running the MPC in standalone mode, then Yes, but how you do it depends on the VST. If the VST runs in standalone mode, and you have a midi derive for the PC. Hook up the midi and audio device from the PC to the MPC and run the VST in standalone. If the VST doesn't run in stand alone, then you'll either need a DAW or a VST Host to host the VST.

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I have a few standalone VST instruments I’d like to be able to use without a DAW, have you any more info on this? I current have a polysynth plugged into an inst line in my audio interface and a midi controller/ keyboard via usb to my PC
Thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:19 am
treestump wrote:Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I have a few standalone VST instruments I’d like to be able to use without a DAW, have you any more info on this?

It would be easier to explain the set up process once you own the MPC Live, for the moment the answer is 'yes, absolutely possible, just treat your entire PC as if it were a traditional hardware synth, where the PC's audio interface is equivalent to the audio and MIDI output ports of your synth. Then it doesn't matter what is generating the sounds within the PC itself (e.g. standalone VST, standalone app, or instrument within a DAW) your MPC will be able to trigger the sounds via MIDI and record them to an audio track.
By bitermc Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:06 am
Some VST instruments run in standalone mode, for others you'll need a VST Host, which -as the name implies- is just a VST host app without all the bells and whistles of a DAW. Just a rack space with wires to plug the VSTs as if they were hardware synts.

One I like is Carla. Is Linux native but there are ports for Win and Mac.
https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/

With this, as MPC-Tutor says, you can just wire the audio and midi of your PC like as if it was another hardware instrument.
By 40Beatz Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:57 pm
Me...I have my Computers running back into my Mixing Board. I treat my VSTi's as Separate "Hardware Rackmount Units". Midi Out the MPC to whatever VST Host Program and Sample into the MPC. I can save any preset on the VST Host for Retrieval at a later date