MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JonnyQuantum Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:53 am
Is there any file compatibility between MPC X, One, Live or Force? Am I able to create a track on an MPC Live or One and open it up on the MPC X..? Sorry if this has been asked before and thank you in advance. :hmmm:

JQ
By Ultros Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:42 am
MPC One, Live and X are essentially the same device in a different package. The same firmware is installed on all 3 of them. The projects from mpc one live and x are all the same. (firmware version can throw a wrench in project compatibility though).

The mpc wont load a force project and the force half-assedly will load an mpc project but doesnt yeild much results.
By JonnyQuantum Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:04 am
Thank you for the response. So what you're saying is: I could work on a project with an MPC LIVE or ONE while traveling and then open that exported project file on an MPC X..? Are there any catches / incompatibilities?

Is this in standalone mode or tethered to a MAC or PC. Im used to the Renaissance unfortunately always having to be connected to a computer. Is this the case with these new(er) devices?

Have you or anyone else reading this accomplished this type of workflow?

Thanks again,

JQ

>>>
Ultros wrote:MPC One, Live and X are essentially the same device in a different package. The same firmware is installed on all 3 of them. The projects from mpc one live and x are all the same. (firmware version can throw a wrench in project compatibility though).

The mpc wont load a force project and the force half-assedly will load an mpc project but doesnt yeild much results.
By mr_debauch Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 am
the x is the same thing as the one and the live except it has a bigger screen and more I/O on the back of the unit.. more buttons and knobs.
the live is the same thing as the one and the X except it has a battery
the one is the same thing as the x and the live except it has a much cheaper price tag, smaller pads, smaller foot print.

they run the same onboard firmware... that firmware (the akai mpc standalone mode OS firmware) has identical features on all 3 machines.

you can make any song on any of the 3 and load it on any of the 3....

NOW, if you are talking about the desktop software you own with the Ren, you may have issues loading those projects on an mpc in standalone mode if your project went beyond what the standalone mpc limitations are... for example more than 8 audio tracks, 3rd party VST fx or instruments, multiple gigabytes of samples loaded in the project etc... but if your computer is not a piece of junk, you can load anything made in standalone mode on your desktop software.
By JonnyQuantum Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:59 pm
Thank you for further clarification. The Renn is out / gone, just trying to see what's capable with the newer non legacy hardware (and software). This news is exciting!

JQ

>>>
mr_debauch wrote:the x is the same thing as the one and the live except it has a bigger screen and more I/O on the back of the unit.. more buttons and knobs.
the live is the same thing as the one and the X except it has a battery
the one is the same thing as the x and the live except it has a much cheaper price tag, smaller pads, smaller foot print.

they run the same onboard firmware... that firmware (the akai mpc standalone mode OS firmware) has identical features on all 3 machines.

you can make any song on any of the 3 and load it on any of the 3....

NOW, if you are talking about the desktop software you own with the Ren, you may have issues loading those projects on an mpc in standalone mode if your project went beyond what the standalone mpc limitations are... for example more than 8 audio tracks, 3rd party VST fx or instruments, multiple gigabytes of samples loaded in the project etc... but if your computer is not a piece of junk, you can load anything made in standalone mode on your desktop software.
By DokBrown Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:45 pm
MPC OS compatibility as the OS continues to evolve ???

I actually just picked up a 2nd MPC. I realized a lot of limitations can be overcome just by having a 2nd unit. With 2 units, I imagine my laptop will be primarily for file storage.

So my only ? now is file compatibility between the same hardware device.
My old MPC LIVE is on 2.8
My new LIVE has been upgraded to the latest OS 2.11

What kind of compatibility can we expect as this OS continues to evolve ?
I see a big jump from 2.8 to 2.11; I can only imagine what the future holds.
While I like new features, I favor stability.

Obviously if I use new plugins/FX, that will not work on an old OS but will the basic drum program/clip program be compatible ?
If I set a mixer template with basic FX chains will that always load properly or will I have to create a new template every 2years ?

I never had this problem with my MV. By the time I could afford one, the OS was locked in at 3.5.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/mv-8000/