MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By heygorilla Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:42 pm
I have an odd problem that I've not seen documented in searching the forums.

I just put a new Kingston SSDNow A400 240GB SATA 3 Solid State Drive into my MPC Live 2. When I first switched on, nothing appeared. So I connected via USB in controller mode and used Disk Utility in Mac OSX to format the drive, which had no partitions. I used EXFAT and GUID.

Now I can see the drive in MPC Live 2 standalone mode, and I can save to it. But it's not working normally. When I press shift the option to "format drive" is greyed out... and the eject drive button is missing. I've attached a pic (the relevant drive is called Untitled). Also, when I copy over the Synth folder to install Solina, Odyssey etc, on an SD drive, it works fine. But when I put the folder onto this oddly functioning SSD drive, it doesn't seem to see the synth content, or offer it as a plugin.

This is obviously maddening. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this drive work?
By Ultros Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:48 pm
Glad you got it all worked out. Getting a drive all set up the first time is a bit of a task. Now that you got it all set up you'll know how to maintain it now though which is a plus. Party on dude.
By EnochLight Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:06 pm
heygorilla wrote:When I press shift the option to "format drive" is greyed out... and the eject drive button is missing. I've attached a pic (the relevant drive is called Untitled).

1. There is no pic attached in your thread. 2. You shouldn't ever have a software eject button present for an installed SSD in your LIve II - you're not supposed to remove it. It's supposed to be installed permanently. Just eject it from your computer if you're ever in Computer Mode accessing it as attached storage.

When you partitioned and formatted your drive via Mac, did you create 1 single partition, and make it the largest you could make? Did you format in ExFAT?